The XProto Project - AquaFusion, Vertical, Chrome, Industrial.

Associate
Thank you mate, hopefully 2024 will be the year where i can finally go more mainstream with this kind of work. Who knows!

Merry Christmas mate!
By 'mainstream' do you mean doing builds for a living...or? (I thought you just had a good job and spunked your money up the wall on this sort of thing!)

I saw an aircooled build on Seasonics FB earlier and someone was asking what the case was, so I linked this thread.... I hope neither you or OCUK mind!

That then made me realise that they do an ATX version, my wallet is already feeling threatened :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
By 'mainstream' do you mean doing builds for a living...or? (I thought you just had a good job and spunked your money up the wall on this sort of thing!)

I saw an aircooled build on Seasonics FB earlier and someone was asking what the case was, so I linked this thread.... I hope neither you or OCUK mind!

That then made me realise that they do an ATX version, my wallet is already feeling threatened :D

Indeed, well i wouldn't do it for a living as there's so much competition in this market now and everybody and their uncle are asking for sponsors so i'm reaching less well known brands to start and see where that goes. I have a few things lined up already which was genuinely a nice surprise but i'll show and tell once everything arrives for the next build. If there's a market for innovative and out of the ordinary builders, i'm all for it and hope i can get more opportunities to build show pieces for events, that would be the dream.

Oh link away mate, i don't mind at all. Always to answer questions about the builder and share the knowledge if someone ever needed it.

HAHA yes they do an ATX version of this case, it's not even that big tbh but supports a rear mounted radiator upto 360 or bigger iirc. Seen a few people do some really nice builds with that, quite inspiring.

Associate
Indeed, well i wouldn't do it for a living as there's so much competition in this market now and everybody and their uncle are asking for sponsors so i'm reaching less well known brands to start and see where that goes. I have a few things lined up already which was genuinely a nice surprise but i'll show and tell once everything arrives for the next build. If there's a market for innovative and out of the ordinary builders, i'm all for it and hope i can get more opportunities to build show pieces for events, that would be the dream.
Awesome, hope it works out! I've followed a few of your builds and they always look amazing, always considered SFF out of my reach monetarily but.....
HAHA yes they do an ATX version of this case, it's not even that big tbh but supports a rear mounted radiator upto 360 or bigger iirc. Seen a few people do some really nice builds with that, quite inspiring.
...that might change my mind, the ATX version is pretty affordable, although I'm a total gremlin so it would get dusty :D I have a 480, 240 and a 280 monsta so would probably have to mount some combination to the wall and go QDC like you did! Currently still leaning towards refurbing my Enthoo Primo with some modding, although the NV9 has caught my eye.... I've spent too much in the last couple of months though!
(edit: I'd have to get mostly new fittings as I have a lot of mismatched stuff and mostly hide the odd stuff out the back)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Awesome, hope it works out! I've followed a few of your builds and they always look amazing, always considered SFF out of my reach monetarily but.....

...that might change my mind, the ATX version is pretty affordable, although I'm a total gremlin so it would get dusty :D I have a 480, 240 and a 280 monsta so would probably have to mount some combination to the wall and go QDC like you did! Currently still leaning towards refurbing my Enthoo Primo with some modding, although the NV9 has caught my eye.... I've spent too much in the last couple of months though!

So this is one of the things i've been working on...

Feel free to browse through, it's not 100% ready yet as i'm still adding and tweaking stuff plus a lot of old photos to re-edit from like 10 years ago are missing.

Also, sell those rads and get something like a Watercool MORA360 or MORA420 :D :D :D, this is the way.

(Edit for your edit: I was the same, so many years of collecting them i have a lot of mismatched ones. Decided to start fresh and go with Bitspower as the quality is still there and being a Bitspower Fan from way back when.)

Last edited:
Associate
So this is one of the things i've been working on...

Feel free to browse through, it's not 100% ready yet as i'm still adding and tweaking stuff plus a lot of old photos to re-edit from like 10 years ago are missing.
Oh man.... I saw this, MORA build log, the Dan and is the Unit 01 the 'shibs' testbench? Hadn't seen the O11D ones - I also (as I said when you got it) loved this build with the Aircooled 4090 FE (that monolithic look!)
Also, sell those rads and get something like a Watercool MORA360 or MORA420 :D :D :D, this is the way.

(Edit for your edit: I was the same, so many years of collecting them i have a lot of mismatched ones. Decided to start fresh and go with Bitspower as the quality is still there and being a Bitspower Fan from way back when.)

I totally should, on both counts. Would give me a lot more freedom on cases... the issue is that I'm cheap, also haven't even installed the 480 since I bought it! Currently running in an old (and sticky) Bitfenix Shinobi on aircooling... planning to move stuff back to the Primo this week :cry: .....we are very different people!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Oh man.... I saw this, MORA build log, the Dan and is the Unit 01 the 'shibs' testbench? Hadn't seen the O11D ones - I also (as I said when you got it) loved this build with the Aircooled 4090 FE (that monolithic look!)

I totally should, on both counts. Would give me a lot more freedom on cases... the issue is that I'm cheap, also haven't even installed the 480 since I bought it! Currently running in an old (and sticky) Bitfenix Shinobi on aircooling... planning to move stuff back to the Primo this week :cry: .....we are very different people!

Yes the Unit 01 is the same one but i've reconfigured it lately with more Bitspower gear and used a smaller 120mm radiator instead. Also got a Gigabyte RTX 4060 Low Profile edition to mess around with for an upcoming build too. Unbelievably cool and quiet!

I did quite a few of the O11D iterations, maybe 4 or 5 in total in different configs with different blocks and gpu's.

Haha that would be a start, to use the parts you bought :cry: :p but then they're worth more unused i suppose so if you do sell them, you could get a little more.

:p We're both tech enthusiasts, there's a nice common factor haha.

Associate
Haha that would be a start, to use the parts you bought :cry: :p but then they're worth more unused i suppose so if you do sell them, you could get a little more.

:p We're both tech enthusiasts, there's a nice common factor haha.
I bought the 480 'pre-loved' off the MM (and the 280 Monsta, 240 is a quad pass x60mm I won on a competition here!), so not gonna get BNIB prices haha!

Some of the build has Phanteks 45 degree fittings (that I can't find the name of - around 2012/13) and I love them but only have three an can't find them anywhere...anyway, when I get around to it I'll put a build log up! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I bought the 480 'pre-loved' off the MM (and the 280 Monsta, 240 is a quad pass x60mm I won on a competition here!), so not gonna get BNIB prices haha!

Some of the build has Phanteks 45 degree fittings (that I can't find the name of - around 2012/13) and I love them but only have three an can't find them anywhere...anyway, when I get around to it I'll put a build log up! :)

Generally when buying used rads on here, i have more faith than buying them on ebay or some other site purely cos people who build here are more caring towards their gear. Would make me come here for rads even if it was a tad more expensive than other used sites.

I tried to google which ones you were talking about but can't even find a stock image lol. If you have a picture, post it here so i can have a look please.

Give us a heads up when the build log goes up too, would love to follow :D.

Associate
@Jay85 - my mistake, was convinced they were phanteks, but the fittings I meant are actually Monsoon! Found a few at a competitor still in stock but sadly none in black chrome like the ones I have already

Soldato
OP
Had these delivered while i was away on holiday, they look and feel fantastic. The Chrome finish isn't perfect though, small indentations and fine scratches are present. Overall very happy with them :D, will get them installed sometime this week and update with more pics.

Soldato
OP
I'm a fan of those fans :D.

Welcome back from your hols, looking forward to some updates. Can't help but tinker can we?!

Missed it while i was on holiday lol even though i shouldn't. Saw quite a few cheap components in Best Buy while i was in the States and i was so tempted but resisted in the end.

Soldato
OP
nope, not done. I detest Philips head screws :p switch them out to hex bolts to match the other fasteners on the case.

You'll be waiting awhile then :p:cry: haha!

I'm on the prowl already for some, 2 at the bottom where it mates with the manifold is just a touch too short so will be getting longer ones. Looks good though, mega happy with it now. Less RGB puke too!

Soldato
I'm messing with screws for fans myself. Doing some final truing up and measurement checks and realised (why after all these years) that I don't have sufficient clearance between tube and fan to use regular screws. But the XSPC radiator uses 6-32 UNC threads, and finding UNC bolts in metric lengths is impossible, especially when you're using a 15mm thick Noctua fan.

After digging through numerous places I'm now chopping down countersunk 3/4 inch bolts to 18mm length and drilling countersinks into my fan so it's all flush and doesn't interfere with the tube over the top.

So forgive me for being a little triggered by your fan screws :D

Back
Top Bottom