Toyota Yaris GR4 4x4 Rally going into production.....

Soldato
After taking a demo out of the Yaris GR a month of so ago I felt like it was a never meet your heroes situation. I just didn’t like it…thought it would be everything I wanted but just didn’t enjoy my time with it. Much preferred the GR86.

I’m am intrigued again now there is a new facelift version. Will keep an eye out!

Soldato
What didn't you enjoy about it? And was this a dealer demo, I assume it was? I just didn't think they'd still have demo's available by this time.
I either had a test drive booked when they first landed or was awaiting one but it didn't happen due to COVID 19. Dealer expected me to order anyway but I decided to hold off.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
A
That makes more sense because I was under the impression the GR Yaris suffers the same problem as the GR86. As models after June 2024 need collision detection etc and it would cost too much to re-engineer the cars etc. I guess they will sell as many of these as possible before the date.

GR86 and Yaris are both available with Lane assist and Auto braking though.

I was under the impression it was frontal height and pedestrian safety that was the nail in the coffin the GR86

Associate
After taking a demo out of the Yaris GR a month of so ago I felt like it was a never meet your heroes situation. I just didn’t like it…thought it would be everything I wanted but just didn’t enjoy my time with it. Much preferred the GR86.

I’m am intrigued again now there is a new facelift version. Will keep an eye out!
I found this with the Golf R - really wanted to love it and then drove it, gutted.

Loving my MX5 at the moment but really feel like I need to try this!

Associate
i really liked the original GR Yaris, test drove it, couldnt quite get the deal i wanted as i was selling a mint Hawkeye sti, when i sold that the Yaris had sold (and i wasnt prepared to pay over) ended up going in another direction, however also interested in the face lift.

I thought the original one was hilarious though, similar to the scooby it wanted playing with to get the best out of it

Soldato
I'm undecided. The gen 1 will always hold a special spot. The Autocar article is incorrect. They got hold of the fact there was a new GR (gen 2) and (incorrectly) have declared that the GE Yaris is now a staple model. Classic Autocar misinterpretation, sensationalist journalism. Gen 2 will be limited too. If it did by some miracle become a staple in the Toyota line up, that would immediately devalue all models and make them no more special than say, the GR86.

I personally don't think the gen 2 is special enough over the gen 1 to consider the cost.

Associate
It's a nice evolution, like the GR86, no need to reinvest the wheel, just targeted refinement, best way.

I liked the GRY when I test drove it but my head was in the roof, looks like they have addressed that and the pill box view.

Last edited:
Soldato
The dash of the new Yaris reminds me of early 2000s Mustangs with their wheelie bin grade plastic dash, like a 2005 Mustang, Just had a google to confirm and giggled at how similar it looks :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
What didn't you enjoy about it? And was this a dealer demo, I assume it was? I just didn't think they'd still have demo's available by this time.
I either had a test drive booked when they first landed or was awaiting one but it didn't happen due to COVID 19. Dealer expected me to order anyway but I decided to hold off.

No, was 2nd hand car. Looked to have been sat for a while as the brakes were corroded and didn't give any feel which you wouldn't expect.

I just felt it was too focused for the roads in Cornwall. Felt very hard, square and felt short geared. I most likely didn't give it a fair shake. I probably went in with an apprehension over 3 cylinders and accompanying flywheels. I felt it didn't rev out that much either. Due to is being a GR the salesmen had to come for the ride.

OcUK Staff
OP

€46-51k in France for the new Yaris

I think base manual with be £39,500 plus options and 43-44k fully loaded for a manual and upto 46k for an auto with all options.

Shall be pre ordering the moment they go live. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

So as the base price on the manual is expected to be just under the 40k bracket, when it comes to road tax does the government take the cars base price or with options price when it comes to road tax?

I don't mind paying the 39-42k for the car but won't be happy about paying £600 in road tax per year for it, pay less for the McLaren.....

Don
So as the base price on the manual is expected to be just under the 40k bracket, when it comes to road tax does the government take the cars base price or with options price when it comes to road tax?
Trim levels and options are included when they make the calculation

Even if you haggle the purchase price down to below the £40k threshold e.g. a £42k car down to £39999 then it is still also charged on list price for the purposes of tax.

Soldato
I also read for toyota UK they will be invite only.

A ballot of those on whatever list marketing has made up.

Take with a pinch of salt as with all internet gossip

Edit the link above seems to confirm this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom