Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Looking to add in directly to Vanguard dividend index funds long term . Any recommendations here for high yield options
Long term and high yield? Why? Almost certain to underperform a generic world tracker.

But if you really want high yield, VHYL which is worldwide or a generic UK tracker will provide it..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can see mobile just turning into a utility like electric where it all runs on the same infrastructure and you just choose who processes your bills and offers the best incentives.

Pretty much like a national grid.
Its basically there for broadband with everyone using BT line.

But with FTTP I guess it's kind of in reverse. A

Soldato
First Group shares up 9% on Friday... Been a crazy winner from me in my pension.

Also nice to see some seeds of positive news for SMT finally - Held and rode out the drastic fall from grace, so nice to see it going upwards for now.

Caporegime
First Group shares up 9% on Friday... Been a crazy winner from me in my pension.

Also nice to see some seeds of positive news for SMT finally - Held and rode out the drastic fall from grace, so nice to see it going upwards for now.

I believe mobico and first group operate in same sector?
Recent graphs look polar opposite!

Soldato
(reacting to a few posts back) lol Motley Fool...

"Here's how I would turn £5k into a £50k a year passive income!!!!!!!111!!!!"

(read article)

* Invest £5k per year into an ISA over a period of 25 years
* Tadaaa
* BUT there's this one stock that is absolutely incredible best opportunity of all time that only we know about
* Spoiler: it's Nvidia or something

Last edited:
Caporegime
(reacting to a few posts back) lol Motley Fool...

"Here's how I would turn £5k into a £50k a year passive income!!!!!!!111!!!!"

(read article)

* Invest £5k per year into an ISA over a period of 25 years
* Tadaaa
* BUT there's this one stock that is absolutely incredible best opportunity of all time that only we know about
* Spoiler: it's Nvidia or something

How that site makes money is anyone's guess. I think 75pc is not generated.

Soldato
Question, I have around £10k in a company shares scheme. One of the periods of 5 year lock in has ended.
They have started to offer 60% matched contribution, up to £2k again.
Do I, invest my own money from savings, put that in and get 60%, or take out some money from the scheme and reinvest to get the 60%

In my simple mind, refeeding it back in seems ok, as it's the 60% in after, but I'm also thinking I might be wrong and loose out later on, as I might have less share units?

Soldato
Question, I have around £10k in a company shares scheme. One of the periods of 5 year lock in has ended.
Do I, invest my own money from savings, put that in and get 60%, or take out some money from the scheme and reinvest to get the 60%

In my simple mind, refeeding it back in seems ok, as it's the 60% in after, but I'm also thinking I might be wrong and loose out later on, as I might have less share units?

Keeping the unlocked part in as shares is now equivalent to withdrawing it, and buying those exact shares via your broker.

So the question is, will your company perform above the market, or above another company. If the answer is no, withdraw it.

Additionally, i can only do this via salary deductions (from gross income), i cannot do it via my own money, the limit being £1800 of my money.

Not sure the details of other schemes

Soldato

Without knowing the exact details of the plan it’s hard to say…

Personally I have two different types of plans with my workplace..

One that is paid post-tax that has a maturity period and offered at a fixed discount with 33% off the year average. if the shares drop below the fixed time at any point before maturity, I can get my money back and not take up the shares option. Once one maturities, I plan to sell the shares and reinvest it in the s&p500 tracker or something similar… so I don’t have too many eggs in the same basket.

I start a new one of those every year and can get to see the benefits every year after the first three years..

The other is pre-tax and it’s continuous where any share I buy is doubled but I don’t get the matching shares for another 3 years. If I sell the shares before 3 years I don’t get the matching shares and I have to pay tax on the initial amount I used to buy the shares.. so I’m basically locked into them for 3 year to get the matching shares, I need to hold on to those for an additional 2 years for them to become tax free..

my plan is to sell off the shares that I purchased after 5 years when the market is favourable and in chucks (I buy the shares monthly).

So this is a 5 year cycle before I can start seeing the benefits.. but again once I sell them I’m planning to reinvest the money in to a board market tracker.

Mines not too bad, my nephew in law has shares locked away for 10 years, but he works for a privately owned firm… talk about golden handcuffs thou lol

Last edited:
Soldato

Same for me... oh what I could have had with a crystal ball for SMT.

In other news - my YU. holding is still having a great time

Caporegime
Actually, UK stocks are undervalued at the moment. I think a lot of people will be surprised in a few years how rapidly they will grow.
The economies in a recession and when it's not it's not exactly booming anyway.
see more and more empty spaces on the high street etc, signs of a decaying country all around

What stocks do you see as being under valued? seems more like a value trap imo

It's been dull for so many years it will take a miracle to attract investors here

anyone excited for the next general election? tories are going which is great imo... but then its either labour or reform, or even worse a coalition :S

maybe in another 9-10years things might look a bit brighter

Last edited:
Associate
The economies in a recession and when it's not it's not exactly booming anyway.
see more and more empty spaces on the high street etc, signs of a decaying country all around

What stocks do you see as being under valued? seems more like a value trap imo

It's been dull for so many years it will take a miracle to attract investors here

anyone excited for the next general election? tories are going which is great imo... but then its either labour or reform, or even worse a coalition :S

maybe in another 9-10years things might look a bit brighter

UK stocks are trading way below there trend line .
This has all the makings of mid 90s.

The UK is not really in a bad situation. The number of wealthy people are growing so as the number of poor. In this situation the wealthy are spending, while the poor are spending less, there for overlapping the poor spending.

The budget this year was design to give the wealthy more wealth and little help for the poor, it will also push up house prices by reducing capital gains tax on properties.

As I said in earlier post rishi will hold a November elections for many reasons.
One being personal gain on an Indian trade agreement.

I personally think it will be poor thought out, pushed asap and end up giving the UK disadvantage just to fulfill Rishi long term personal goals, exactly like Cameron who for me was the worst pm in history for being anti poor and his sociopath condition to punish those who are not brought up the same.

The stock market moves in a strange ways. No one can predict what tomorrow brings.

We are at a crossing of technology advancement, A.I this will slow feed into the economy and a boom in this tech will create booms in all other related tech.
Change of political governments has always provided increased economy, but it eventually runs out of steam.
I believe 3 years into a new government will push up the UK stock market.

Last edited:
Soldato
If we can reverse Brexit as much as is politically possible and get rid of the Tories then perhaps you will be proved right.
You need reverse the pension funds abandoning UK equities and then foster a good environment for the retail investors to come back. The seeds were sown way back in 2000. No doubt they are hurrying to undo this change now, probably too late as most money flows to the US market these days.

Soldato
UK stocks are trading way below there trend line .
This has all the makings of mid 90s.

The UK is not really in a bad situation. The number of wealthy people are growing so as the number of poor. In this situation the wealthy are spending, while the poor are spending less, there for overlapping the poor spending.

The budget this year was design to give the wealthy more wealth and little help for the poor, it will also push up house prices by reducing capital gains tax on properties.

As I said in earlier post rishi will hold a November elections for many reasons.
One being personal gain on an Indian trade agreement.

I personally think it will be poor thought push asap and end up giving the UK disadvantage just to fulfill Rishi long term personal goals, exactly like Cameron who for me was the worst pm in history for being anti poor and his sociopath condition to punish those who are not brought up the same.

The stock market moves in a strange ways. No one can predict what tomorrow brings.

We are at a crossing of technology advancement, A.I this will slow feed into the economy and a boom in this tech create booms in all other related tech.
Change of political governments has always provided increased economy, but it eventually runs out of steam.
I believe 3 years into a new government will push up the UK stock market.
See this page https://www.ukdividendstocks.com/

There are 2 good articles on the UKs main FTSE markets.

Soldato
Without knowing the exact details of the plan it’s hard to say…

Personally I have two different types of plans with my workplace..

One that is paid post-tax that has a maturity period and offered at a fixed discount with 33% off the year average. if the shares drop below the fixed time at any point before maturity, I can get my money back and not take up the shares option. Once one maturities, I plan to sell the shares and reinvest it in the s&p500 tracker or something similar… so I don’t have too many eggs in the same basket.

I start a new one of those every year and can get to see the benefits every year after the first three years..

The other is pre-tax and it’s continuous where any share I buy is doubled but I don’t get the matching shares for another 3 years. If I sell the shares before 3 years I don’t get the matching shares and I have to pay tax on the initial amount I used to buy the shares.. so I’m basically locked into them for 3 year to get the matching shares, I need to hold on to those for an additional 2 years for them to become tax free..

my plan is to sell off the shares that I purchased after 5 years when the market is favourable and in chucks (I buy the shares monthly).

So this is a 5 year cycle before I can start seeing the benefits.. but again once I sell them I’m planning to reinvest the money in to a board market tracker.

Mines not too bad, my nephew in law has shares locked away for 10 years, but he works for a privately owned firm… talk about golden handcuffs thou lol
Once every quarter I can buy shares, all fees covered, the company will also contribute over the year, 2k euros max.
I just buy the whole lot at once, so around 3333euros and that gives me the 60% 2k euro contribution.
I pay tax then, on their contribution and no tax later when I sell. Selling fees also covered.
It's locked for 5 years.
I have about 9k euro of liquid assets I can draw out, some is still locked.
I was playing with some maths earlier and if I take 3333k euro out and put back in, the share price will reset (5 years ago they were cheaper than now) so my unit quantity I will have, will be lower, thus as the share price grows, I won't make as much. Answered my own question.
It would have to grow quite a lot to make a huge difference.
Currently they are 200euros a share, my first I bought were around 118euros I think.

When I started around 2008, they were around 8euros....wish I started then! Lol.
I would be leading a much different life haha, hindsight hey........

Back
Top Bottom