TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Gf has derped.

She's been using iplayer with her details.

Now I'm not sure if the letter we got is legit or just scare tactics.

It has her name, our address and has said "you've been watching iplayer a few times in the last month.. You need to pay or else".
What personal details do you have to give to sign in/up for iplayer?
Your name and address?
Personally I’d lob the letter in the trash along with all the other pointless threats they send.

Associate
Gf has derped.

It has her name, our address and has said "you've been watching iplayer a few times in the last month.. You need to pay or else".

I asked her. And she said she has.. But it was months ago. :(

I'm not sure the letter is legit... Ie they have evidence. . Or it's just another scare tactic letter.

Anyone else had anything like this?

She's planning to pay and then get a refund. I'm certainly not sharing the cost lol.
Told her it might just be scare tactics. But it's the first one that has had teeth imo.
if she been using the iplayer, she should pay, doesn't matter that it was only a few times months ago

Soldato
Gf has derped.

I asked her. And she said she has.. But it was months ago. :(

I'm not sure the letter is legit... Ie they have evidence. . Or it's just another scare tactic letter.

Anyone else had anything like this?

She's planning to pay and then get a refund. I'm certainly not sharing the cost lol.
Told her it might just be scare tactics. But it's the first one that has had teeth imo.
If your GF was visiting and doesn’t live with you then you might be ok. People are allowed to visit and use mobile devices on your internet with their own TV licence from where ever they live with your IP address. I am not aware of any change in rule that stops this.

As long and this is the big thing they don't plug the power supply in. For some strange reason they can use a table or phone or even a TV if its run off a battery pack like a UPS. But if they watch TV and charge up the tablet/phone at the same time that is not allowed. Just having your IP address isn’t enough.

In short you could go back to them and say its a visitor on a mobile device not plugged into the mains.

They will have an ip address, which is enough.
Just having your IP address isn’t enough.

Caporegime
If your GF was visiting and doesn’t live with you then you might be ok. People are allowed to visit and use mobile devices on your internet with their own TV licence from where ever they live with your IP address. I am not aware of any change in rule that stops this.

As long and this is the big thing they don't plug the power supply in. For some strange reason they can use a table or phone or even a TV if its run off a battery pack like a UPS. But if they watch TV and charge up the tablet/phone at the same time that is not allowed. Just having your IP address isn’t enough.

In short you could go back to them and say its a visitor on a mobile device not plugged into the mains.

Just having your IP address isn’t enough.

She lives with me.
I've told her she's gonna have to sort it out and not out of the joint account.

Caporegime
In the bin it should go, and use VPN next time imo.
I read that thread you linked.

It seems like gf has told tvl we don't need a licence (so they have her name address etc)
She also used her real details in an iplayer account.

So they've matched the two.

So it's nothing clever like ip matching etc.
They know where she lives, and know she's watched iplayer at an address that they have been told doesn't need a licence.

Didn't know she did the "we don't need a licence" thing.
Also didn't know she was using iplayer

Last edited:
Soldato
I read that thread you linked.

It seems like gf has told tvl we don't need a licence (so they have her name address etc)
She also used her real details in an iplayer account.

So they've matched the two.

So it's nothing clever like ip matching etc.
They know where she lives, and know she's watched iplayer at an address that they have been told doesn't need a licence.

Didn't know she did the "we don't need a licence" thing.
Also didn't know she was using iplayer
Have you grown attached to her, you could bin her off?

Caporegime
One more thing, they cannot prove anything beyond what you tell them at the door, you say nothing at all, you do not speak to them beyond no thank you and shutting the door.

Many people have fallen foul of TV licencing goons by thinking they can talk their way into making them go away, anything you say to them they will use against you, the only way to make them go away is "no thank you" and shut the door!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Look at this... the first video.

She starts by reading the house number and then waits for the person in the house to say the rest, this is a tactic, by telling her the rest of the address she has proof of that address.

So, just, who are you? Then they have to tell you "TV licencing" and you say no thank you and shut the door, they have no option but to walk away, don't engage with them at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom