TV Licence Super Thread

Man of Honour
VPN and fake address is all you need if you really want to do it. They won't be able to trace that as a corporation.

Though iPlayer is using a VPN blocking service. Which just looks up a list of known VPN server IPs.
VPN isn’t enough, there are other ways of the apps/websute knowing your true location, of course the VPN providers don’t advertise this.

Also iPlayer etc don’t have a list of known VPN server IPs, they do a reverse DNS lookup of the IP and then block by domain name.

Soldato
VPN isn’t enough, there are other ways of the apps/websute knowing your true location, of course the VPN providers don’t advertise this.

Also iPlayer etc don’t have a list of known VPN server IPs, they do a reverse DNS lookup of the IP and then block by domain name.
Either way their methods are quite effective. I work with a lot of international test teams and they struggle with testing iPlayer due to a combination of geoblocking, VPN blocking etc. BBC seem to catch and block any new IP address/provider quite rapidly.

Caporegime
That's incorrect advice as depending on what you are watching you might need a license. Its not a yes/no answer as it depends on the live stream being watched. If you miss click Skynews Live on YouTube while technically you need a licence no one is going to care if you turn it off right away. If you sit there for an hour+ you need a TV licence.
are the live news channels on youtube even live?

They seem more like a reel of the days top stories

Caporegime
But they're being broadcast live i.e. the online stream is identical to what's being broadcast at that moment.
but are they live? or is it just video clips real that says live in the corner.

I checked the sky one a few years ago and it wasn't the same as live

AFAIR it only counts if it's a live stream of a TV channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
but are they live? or is it just video clips real that says live in the corner.

I checked the sky one a few years ago and it wasn't the same as live

AFAIR it only counts if it's a live stream of a TV channel.
If they're not the same streams as going out to broadcast, and it's just Sky's "Love YouTube feed", I imagine that doesn't count as a live TV channel. Though of course TVL base their entire model on overly general terms to try and scare or trap you.

Soldato
are the live news channels on youtube even live?

They seem more like a reel of the days top stories
They used to be a long time ago. Not got a TV licence so I am not going take a look to see if that's still the case today. Sky news used to stream there live channel on YouTube along with the reel of the days top story's. They also have that live button top right of the website https://news.sky.com/ I think that live button used to be based off YouTube technolgly though I am not 100% sure on that or if its still even the case.

Caporegime
You need a TV Licence to watch TV channels on any TV service or live TV on streaming services, no matter where it is broadcast or distributed from. This includes satellite or online streamed programmes from outside the UK or Channel Islands, such as sporting events and foreign shows.

When the BBC insert themselves into everything to make the licencing fee unavoidable...

Last edited:
Caporegime
When the BBC insert themselves into everything to make the licencing fee unavoidable...

Oh and of course because the BBC insert themselves into everything the fee goes up to pay for it..... nice, double win for them.

This governments talk on taking action on the BBC was just that, as with everything from this government, just talk, lip service, they are quite happy to allow the BBC to continue to operate like a cartel, even expand on that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can I go sit in a field with just my data on my phone and watch live TV without a license?

No, you have to pay the BBC for that, no matter what it is the BBC want their money even if you're watching GB News live.

That costs the BBC nothing, but.... give me my money or we take you to court.

Any live broadcast through any media on any device.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom