UEFA Champions & Europa League Football Thread R16 ** spoilers ** [5th - 14th March 2024]

fez

fez

Caporegime
Jesus what a miss from Lautaro Martinez

I dont think I can manage another tie against a **** house team, hope they get City.

AM make Porto look like choir boys. I would just hope you get a strong ref like you had in the Porto game. AM only got 2 yellows and should have had at least 6 just for straight up cheating. Its a shame because they are a good team.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I can’t wait for tonight, should be a great atmosphere to soak up at the Amex. Can’t see us scoring 4 goals, but hopefully it’s a celebration all the same for getting to this stage, and we can walk away with a win and it all left on the pitch.

We’ve come along way, long may it continue!

Don
How are Italy so high?
Until this current round, all their sides were still in Europe and stupidly there's not much difference in the points you can pick up from the Europa compared to the CL. The season we won the CL, Chelsea actually got more points from winning the Europa because you don't just get points for progressing through the rounds but also based on wins - so Chelsea winning 6 from 6 Europa group games counted for more points than Liverpool winning 4(?) CL group games.

They take the average points from all the side from each country so Italy's average will begin to drop now that their 3 CL sides got knocked out. The PL is already 2 sides down and with Brighton very likely to go out, they could do with West Ham getting through or we're going to need 2 or 3 sides reaching finals to get a top 2 spot.

Soldato
Until this current round, all their sides were still in Europe and stupidly there's not much difference in the points you can pick up from the Europa compared to the CL. The season we won the CL, Chelsea actually got more points from winning the Europa because you don't just get points for progressing through the rounds but also based on wins - so Chelsea winning 6 from 6 Europa group games counted for more points than Liverpool winning 4(?) CL group games.

They take the average points from all the side from each country so Italy's average will begin to drop now that their 3 CL sides got knocked out. The PL is already 2 sides down and with Brighton very likely to go out, they could do with West Ham getting through or we're going to need 2 or 3 sides reaching finals to get a top 2 spot.
How on earth are the Europa League and Champs League games rated the same, so odd.

Don
How on earth are the Europa League and Champs League games rated the same, so odd.
The rationale is that it's just as difficult to win a EL (or ECL) game as it is a CL game as the sides are (at least meant to be) the same quality. It's bonkers though. You do get slightly more points for progressing in the CL compared to the EL etc but it's not uncommon for the EL winners to end up picking up similar amounts of points to the CL winners thanks to winning more games along the way.

Caporegime
You get certain years where the Europa League is more difficult to win than the CL with better opposition and certainly has more prestige. Such as this year or 2001

Soldato
Really am tired of the Quadruple talk, its just not gonna happen as much as id love it to be the case. Nice to see Clark getting a start.

I expect Gakpo to least move around the pitch against this side!

Last edited:
Soldato
Need a replay! They were showing Nunez goal as Clark scored the second.

Good goal by Clark came from there mistake but nice finish and he will be delighted

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom