UEFA Euro 2024 Qualifiers & Friendlies ** spoilers ** [21st - 26th March 2024]

Soldato
Lets hope that neither Maguire :eek: / Stones get injured at the euros, Dunk isn't up to it.
As for Chillwell....
You’d think they’d give Lloyd Kelly a chance or play Branthwaite.

Dunno why Toney and Bowen just went off. I know they’re not necessarily trying to win a friendly but it would be nice.

Man of Honour
Mainoo gets all the plaudits but can we all please just stop a moment and admire that cross from Flukaku? "Great touch for a big lad"(TM). Gets better the more you look at it from different angles, it's like prime Quaresma.

As for the hype around England's amazing cohort of players that's apparently favourite for the Euros, sorry I'm still not feeling it. I mean if I start at the back, Pickford doesn't fill me with confidence. Then I move onto the defence, let's compare with the true golden generation that didn't reach any finals. Nobody has the LB position nailed down at present, pick whomever you think is the best we have there, and then compare with Ashley Cole. HAHajhahahahja.

Then we're on the the CBs. Southgate will pick Maguire if fit. Contrast with golden generation, where we had to bench one of Campbell, Ferdinand and Terry, all of whom are so far clear of the current CBs. Heck when fit even the backup-backup CBs like King and Woodgate could get in this current side. In midfield, yes Bellingham is top notch, Rice is looking good, but you can't tell me Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes/Beckham etc weren't good players even if we never figured out how to get the best out of them all at international level. Up front I'm not convinced Kane is that much better than prime Rooney and Owen was as good as our other strikers. The only area the current team possibly has an edge is Saka is probably a more dangerous wideman than we had back then (albeit Beckham compensated well for not being the best at skinning his fullback with his incredible crossing from deep).

Look, Kane and Bellingham are amongst the hottest stars in Europe right now but we aint winning anything with that keeper and defence, sorry boys I'm not having it it's embarrassingly poor compared to yesteryear (point being a better squad of players couldn't win, so why would this team win?).

Last edited:
Soldato
Mainoo gets all the plaudits but can we all please just stop a moment and admire that cross from Flukaku? "Great touch for a big lad"(TM). Gets better the more you look at it from different angles, it's like prime Quaresma.

As for the hype around England's amazing cohort of players that's apparently favourite for the Euros, sorry I'm still not feeling it. I mean if I start at the back, Pickford doesn't fill me with confidence. Then I move onto the defence, let's compare with the true golden generation that didn't reach any finals. Nobody has the LB position nailed down at present, pick whomever you think is the best we have there, and then compare with Ashley Cole. HAHajhahahahja.

Then we're on the the CBs. Southgate will pick Maguire if fit. Contrast with golden generation, where we had to bench one of Campbell, Ferdinand and Terry, all of whom are so far clear of the current CBs. Heck when fit even the backup-backup CBs like King and Woodgate could get in this current side. In midfield, yes Bellingham is top notch, Rice is looking good, but you can't tell me Gerrard/Lampard/Scholes/Beckham etc weren't good players even if we never figured out how to get the best out of them all at international level. Up front I'm not convinced Kane is that much better than prime Rooney and Owen was as good as our other strikers. The only area the current team possibly has an edge is Saka is probably a more dangerous wideman than we had back then (albeit Beckham compensated well for not being the best at skinning his fullback with his incredible crossing from deep).

Look, Kane and Bellingham are amongst the hottest stars in Europe right now but we aint winning anything with that keeper and defence, sorry boys I'm not having it it's embarrassingly poor compared to yesteryear.
Im really not sure why. He was tidy, that's about it. He did the absolute bare minimum but of course its England so the words "wonder kid" were at play on talk sport this morning. If you want to play a player in a more advanced role like he tried with Mainoo then there are a number of players that should be getting in ahead of him including the player who replaced him Maddison, who got the assist for the equaliser.

As for being favourite for the Euros, not until they get rid of Southgate.

Man of Honour
And Southgate clearly isn't going anywhere before the tournament unless there's some scandal like he's got an overdue library book or something. But technically speaking they are the favourites with the bookies just slightly ahead of France.
I guess this may be in part if other nations are not considered to have an elite squad at present either (compared to say Spain 15 years ago).

Might have to lay England on betfair and then if a miracle happens I can't be too depressed as we'll have finally won something haha.

Back
Top Bottom