• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*****UK's Best Price & Staggering DEAL - ATI HD 5870 £179.99 Delivered!*****

Associate
The more I see those other 5870's at £250 the more I'm tempted to pre-order this... but I just don't trust the market in this state, with the 6000 cards coming out!

Plus I can't seem to find this model for sale or rated elsewhere :?
I suppose they can't all be that different, but it is stopping me from buying.

Soldato
The more I see those other 5870's at £250 the more I'm tempted to pre-order this... but I just don't trust the market in this state, with the 6000 cards coming out!

I am exactly where you are. I have a new 27" monitor and my 460 is really no match for such a monster. I would like to upgrade so I can at least play Bad Company 2 at native res but with the other AMD offerings around the corner I don't know what to think. I could spend up to £300 but really £220 is my real maximum.

Associate
I am exactly where you are. I have a new 27" monitor and my 460 is really no match for such a monster. I would like to upgrade so I can at least play Bad Company 2 at native res but with the other AMD offerings around the corner I don't know what to think. I could spend up to £300 but really £220 is my real maximum.
same here mate

Associate
Haha, so we're a band of guys waiting to see what the best mid-high tier buy is going to be :) I've had my cash down for a 470 for so long now it feels weird to consider anything else, but I have to be open minded. I doubt I'll exceed £200 though.
I think I'll wait until Janary before making a decision. If that means 5870's are back to being 190+ then I'll just have to live with it.

Soldato
And pay 20% VAT? Genius.

On a £200 card the increase is a fiver. Throw in the possdibility of retailers cutting margins to try and keep sales going into the New Year and I don't see the VAT rise as anything to be scared of.

If I was spending 40k on a car or extension I'd worry about it, but I'll never be doing either of those. :)

Andrew McP

Soldato

VTX are made by PowerColor afaik. This looks almost identical to the VTX 5850 I was using until recently, apart from having 1 extra heatpipe on the cooler.

Keep in mind that, like the VTX 5850, it probably won't allow software voltage control so could limit the overclocking ability slightly.

Highest I managed on my 5850 was 850 / 1150. At this overclock, with the fan at a constant 40%, temps never went above 60c under load.

Can't see this 5870 getting any hotter as the extra heatpipe should cancel out the heat generated by the higher clock speeds.

Associate
Well that's me off the drink until these sell out. Still got Christmas shopping to do which won't get done if i get drunk and pull the trigger on one of these....

Soldato
I noticed someone mentioned that it appears to be the same cooler as on the PCS+ but red.

If this is true then it makes this an even better deal because the PCS+ fan runs fantastically cool and pretty much inaudible even under load.

Back
Top Bottom