Poll: United States Grand Prix 2016, Austin - Race 18/21

Rate the 2016 United States Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
What a lap! :eek:

The fact that Lewis hasn't started on pole before but he's won three of the four races here doesn't bode well though…

He just needs a clean race. I really hope he nails the start.

Soldato
Lewis gets his first Texas pole, bit worrying about that report of a rough 7th gear just before his pole lap.

Think it might be a good scrap between the Redbulls on different strategies, at least Ricci lake got the better grid position for those super softs.

Associate
Hamilton seems relaxed, I guess this is his home crowd.

I'm a Hamilton fan but I don't mind who wins the championship, I just want to see some good close/clean racing between him and Rosberg over the remaining events.

Soldato
Quality performance from Hamilton at his adopted home race.

Frustrating qualifying for Jenson. I'm biased, but there's gap between each qualifying session for a reason - why can't the stewards use that time and hand out penalties before the next session starts?

Caporegime
He was two places off qualifying anyway wasn't he, or three even? It would rarely make a difference as it's rarely what is it 16th being pushed to 17th by the guy blocking, it's usually someone on track preventing someone hitting 16th meaning they never actually did a lap fast enough. You can't just bump someone up the order with a lap time they didn't achieve.

personally don't think it was a penalty either. Sometimes you just get a car find you at the wrong point. He had three options, speed up massively but still could have gotten in the way and was ultimately the best choice. He actually focused too much on getting out of the way but he was up to the corner. Had he been up the inside, look how far up he was, he'd have been blocking the apex. Where he was, right on the outside, was better than the inside by a mile. Button hit the apex and got the exit not to bad, in the end he took the corner not monumentally off line but he was likely put off and not confident of braking as late as he might want to.

Palmer somewhat panicked, rather than just focusing on his lap and flooring it for the start of the lap he focused on getting out of the way right then. Harsh to penalise someone for ruining the start of his own fast lap by getting out of the way as best as possible. I also don't think he cost Button 3/10ths in that corner so made very little overall difference.

Soldato
He was two places off qualifying anyway wasn't he, or three even? It would rarely make a difference as it's rarely what is it 16th being pushed to 17th by the guy blocking, it's usually someone on track preventing someone hitting 16th meaning they never actually did a lap fast enough. You can't just bump someone up the order with a lap time they didn't achieve.

personally don't think it was a penalty either. Sometimes you just get a car find you at the wrong point. He had three options, speed up massively but still could have gotten in the way and was ultimately the best choice. He actually focused too much on getting out of the way but he was up to the corner. Had he been up the inside, look how far up he was, he'd have been blocking the apex. Where he was, right on the outside, was better than the inside by a mile. Button hit the apex and got the exit not to bad, in the end he took the corner not monumentally off line but he was likely put off and not confident of braking as late as he might want to.

Palmer somewhat panicked, rather than just focusing on his lap and flooring it for the start of the lap he focused on getting out of the way right then. Harsh to penalise someone for ruining the start of his own fast lap by getting out of the way as best as possible. I also don't think he cost Button 3/10ths in that corner so made very little overall difference.

I think you're right. I"m frustrated and, watching as a fan, seeing opportunities even in a rubbish car just slip away before retirement. Oh well, should be an epic battle in the race, starting 19th, to battle up to 15th, maybe 14th..!

Soldato
They just said on Sky news TV that Hamilton said to them he has an engine problem but will still start from pole. Literally as brief as that.

Can't find anything else online about it.

Soldato
If it's anything like previous years, Rosberg should stuff it up the inside and force Hamilton off the track but probably not worth the risk of a penalty as I don't think they have a big enough advantage to guarantee he could get back up to second.

Think it could be an OK race. If they all stay in position from the start I can see Hamilton pushing Rosberg back into the pack to ruin his tyres and strategy to try and stop him getting second place.

Apart from mechanical failure I can only see a Hamilton win today.

Caporegime
So what's the deal with this verstappen rule?

Was it always this way not being able to move under braking? Say back to the 80's?

I always loved F1 but being young I didn't pay any attention to rules or anything like that.

Associate
My understanding is that it's so far been a gentleman's agreement in Formula 1 not to defend under braking as it is considered dangerous. Unfortunately, not being a gentleman, Verstappen has repeatedly used this to his advantage this season so now it's been made official.

Back
Top Bottom