**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Got some hankook Runflats on dad's Mini f56. Still. Oem factory tyres. Boy are they lumpy and bumpy. Horrid tyres. Grip okay, though will be changed to non RF when the time comes.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Always been on Michelins with my Megane RS, Super Sport to begin with, then onto Pilot Sport 4S. Since I got my E63S, I've moved onto Continental Contact Sport 7's and they are wonderful so far. Time will tell though, but heard enough good words in various places to make the switch.

Caporegime
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

That's a performance summer tyre, right?

I don't know if it was because I had a new car and you need 200-500 miles to bed them in, or if they are just bad in sub zero temperatures but they didn't feel very good to drive on at all when it was freezing a few weeks ago.

I had to use snow mode on my GV70 to ensure permanent 4 wheel drive with limited power just to feel safe driving.

They seemed fine in wet weather when it was 12°C though.

Anyone have experience of these?

My Polestar 2 has the Michelin primacy 4 tyres on and I never really had an issue in low temperatures, but I got it in March 2021 when it was on new tyres.

Man of Honour
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tyres.

That's a performance summer tyre, right?

I don't know if it was because I had a new car and you need 200-500 miles to bed them in, or if they are just bad in sub zero temperatures but they didn't feel very good to drive on at all when it was freezing a few weeks ago.

I had to use snow mode on my GV70 to ensure permanent 4 wheel drive with limited power just to feel safe driving.

They seemed fine in wet weather when it was 12°C though.

Anyone have experience of these?

My Polestar 2 has the Michelin primacy 4 tyres on and I never really had an issue in low temperatures, but I got it in March 2021 when it was on new tyres.
Not sure what you expect, they're a summer tyre, not a winter tyre. If you want half decent traction in freezing temperatures, get winter tyres or all seasons.

Soldato
Not sure what you expect, they're a summer tyre, not a winter tyre. If you want half decent traction in freezing temperatures, get winter tyres or all seasons.
What's with all this sensible logic?

It's pretty shocking that a summer tyre is worserer in sub zero conditions. He should email the tyre company CEO requesting compensation and consider filing a class action lawsuit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I think you misunderstood the post, which started with the knowledge that it's a summer tyre.

Polestar 2 on Michelin primacy tyres - quite decent even in cold and ice

GV70 EV on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - quite poor in cold and ice.

Two cars with very similar weights, power etc.

So the question was really:

1) how much is it the different tyre type?
2) how much is it the fact the car had only done 20 miles and the tyres were brand new?

I am entirely aware that a winter tyres is optimal and remember getting somewhat roasted for asking (many years ago) why cars didn't come with winter tyres in winter.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think you misunderstood the post, which started with the knowledge that it's a summer tyre.

Polestar 2 on Michelin primacy tyres - quite decent even in cold and ice

GV70 EV on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - quite poor in cold and ice.

Two cars with very similar weights, power etc.

So the question was really:

1) how much is it the different tyre type?
2) how much is it the fact the car had only done 20 miles and the tyres were brand new?

I am entirely aware that a winter tyres is optimal and remember getting somewhat roasted for asking (many years ago) why cars didn't come with winter tyres in winter.
Primacy 4 is a safety first oriented tyre. Pilot Sport 4 is more a sport tyre. However wasn't aware you had only done 20 miles on them, they need a few hundred for the release agent to go.

I'd say Primacy is much more likely to be predictable as the temperature drops vs a PS4. As said, if you want grip in icy conditions, get cross climate/all season or winter tyres.

Soldato
Is it generally ok to run two different tyres depths on the same axle?

My front left needs replacing as the outer edge is bald but the rest of the tyre is about 4mm.
The right is 4.2 across the board. So evidently I have an alignment issue.

Money is a bit tight at the moment, so would I be ok to replace the one tyre with new or should I try to stretch the budget and get 2 new fronts?

Man of Honour

My front left needs replacing as the outer edge is bald but the rest of the tyre is about 4mm.

Money is a bit tight at the moment, so would I be ok to replace the one tyre with new or should I try to stretch the budget and get 2 new fronts?
Some new tyres are 8mm so definitely change both, and get an alignment done as well. Although 4 vs 4.2 isn’t a huge difference.

Man of Honour

Most manufacturers don't recommend more than 2mm difference IIRC.

EDIT: Check your rears as well - might be able to swap around and get a combination which works without having to replace 2 tyres.

Last edited:
Caporegime
When I have been in that situation in the past, I managed to find a part worn tyre of the same model to slap on.

I'm sure the idea of buying part worn tyres is heinous to some folks in here though... :D

In fact I used to buy part worn pairs all the time when I was an apprentice / student... Would rather have a pair of 3 year old Goodyears with 6MM of tread than a pair of brand new ditchfinders for more money.

Last edited:
Soldato
As said, the outer edge of the one tyre is pretty much bald so I dont think I can get away with not changing tyres. Bit of a slide risk there.

Not ever considered part worns, might look into local ones and see if they have my tyre or very similar.

Thanks for the help all, time to get shopping around.

Soldato
I'd only do it if they have the same exact tyre. I used to buy them on eBay. But not all tyre fitters will be happy to fit a part worn eBay tyre because of liability etc.
If you do make sure to check the date of production. I had a quick look at part worn on eBay and they mostly have photos of the tyre being sold showing the production date. Quite a lot of these have good tread depth 6mm or above but with a production date of 10 years ago or more.

As I found out recently most manufacturers recommended replacing tyres at 10 years of age regardless of the amount of tread depth remaining so they wouldn't be a wise purchase.

Soldato
Ended up splashing out on a pair of Goodyear Vector 4 season Gen 3's, wallet stings a bit but £35 off a pair and half price off the alignment should be grand. :)

Soldato
I’ve been running MPS4S on my Boxster for a month or so now.

They’re very grippy but I must say, they’re incredibly dull feeling.

The previous tyres were Asymmetrics, and I would have gone for them again but I couldn’t find any in stock at the time - I think the N rated ones have been discontinued.

To get some of the feeling back in the steering, I’m having to run them at the performance pressure, which has negatively impacted the ride of the car too.

Can’t say I’m that impressed by them at the moment.

Soldato
When I have been in that situation in the past, I managed to find a part worn tyre of the same model to slap on.

I'm sure the idea of buying part worn tyres is heinous to some folks in here though... :D

I've also done this where I've needed to. Normally get them from eBay. Get the exact tyre brand and model, and even near enough the same manufacturer date with roughly the same tread. There's nothing wrong with part worns, when done in the right way, and if you thoroughly inspect them to ensure they aren't damaged.

Soldato
I’ve been running MPS4S on my Boxster for a month or so now.

They’re very grippy but I must say, they’re incredibly dull feeling.

The previous tyres were Asymmetrics, and I would have gone for them again but I couldn’t find any in stock at the time - I think the N rated ones have been discontinued.

To get some of the feeling back in the steering, I’m having to run them at the performance pressure, which has negatively impacted the ride of the car too.

Can’t say I’m that impressed by them at the moment.

I will say that this often happens when you replace a tyre that has 2-3mm with one that has 7-8mm. The extra tread just makes it more spongey and the sudden change makes it very noticeable. The only thing I can suggest is upping the pressures by ~2psi for a few months. As soon as they start wearing, they'll get their feel.

Soldato
I will say that this often happens when you replace a tyre that has 2-3mm with one that has 7-8mm. The extra tread just makes it more spongey and the sudden change makes it very noticeable. The only thing I can suggest is upping the pressures by ~2psi for a few months. As soon as they start wearing, they'll get their feel.

The Asymmetric were still on 4.5-5mm :(

Only reason I replaced them is because Porsche wouldn’t warranty the car as the tyres were >5 years old on the manufacturing date

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom