**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
The Asymmetric were still on 4.5-5mm :(

Only reason I replaced them is because Porsche wouldn’t warranty the car as the tyres were >5 years old on the manufacturing date

I was going to say, the age could be the other factor. In older tyres the rubber will generally be harder so give more positive steering, but worse general grip? Have you done many miles on the PS4S? I've had the Assymmetric 5's and PS4S on various car's and have always found the GY's to be very good, but softer and less focussed

Last edited:
Soldato
I was going to say, the age could be the other factor. In older tyres the rubber will generally be harder so give more positive steering, but worse general grip? Have you done many miles on the PS4S? I've had the Assymmetric 5's and PS4S on various car's and have always found the GY's to be very good, but softer and less focussed

Erm about 600 so far, so definitely not enough to bed them in but the difference has been really stark.

I found the PS5 to be the same as well though.

Yes, different tyre, but that’s 2 models of Michelin that I’ve found to be quite dull steering wise.

Easier to put it this way.

Coming from my 135i with hydraulic steering, my first thought with the Porsche was “oh this isn’t too bad, I can live with this”

Since putting the Michelin on, I’ve really missed the steering on the BMW - every time I drive it, the added feel is immediate and obvious. This wasn’t the case at first. This is with PS5 on the BMW as well.

I’ll definitely give them a while longer before I make a full judgement but initial impressions aren’t great.

I’m sure they ARE better, but they definitely don’t feel it at the moment.

Trouble is, to keep the warranty you have to have N rated on there. For me that means:

Dunlop Sport Max Race (I think)
Pirelli P Zero
Michelin PS4S

Goodyear only have Supersport RS which I’ve not got any experience with

Ideally I’d stick Sport Contact 7 on there. Really liked the Continentals on my S5.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Trouble is, to keep the warranty you have to have N rated on there. For me that means:
Surely they can't enforce this? What if you're away from home on a continental road trip and you have a blow out and you can't get an N rated tyre? Then the Gearbox strips a gear two months later, when you're back in the UK? Sorry sir, your single front tyre, not even connected to the gearbox isn't N rated. Claim denied.

Soldato
Surely they can't enforce this? What if you're away from home on a continental road trip and you have a blow out and you can't get an N rated tyre? Then the Gearbox strips a gear two months later, when you're back in the UK? Sorry sir, your single front tyre, not even connected to the gearbox isn't N rated. Claim denied.

Basically, yeah.

Because it’s an insurance product and you agree to the T&Cs, if you break them, they don’t have to honour the warranty*

*Technically - whether they would want the PR disaster it would cause, I don’t know.

But the main thing for me is that the car isn’t currently under warranty, so I’m making my way through a checklist of things which need sorting to get it to Porsche standard.

Wouldn’t normally bother but the dynamic engine and transmission mounts have had some issues in the 981 and they’re about £1500 each to have repaired.

The actually cost of the warranty is quite reasonable - about the same as my 135i and cheaper when you factor in 0 excess.

But boy are they really stingy about everything.

Silly little things like battery. Has to be the Porsche one. Even though it’s made by Banner. You can’t use the Banner one, which has the same part number and a longer warranty.

Some OPCs are even funny about wiper blades. Thankfully my local one isn’t.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

Weird Porsche used N rating to try and avoid people putting poor performing tyres on, but that could easily get mixed up with N speed rated tyres :s which you would not want to be driving on :s

Caporegime
Basically, yeah.

Because it’s an insurance product and you agree to the T&Cs, if you break them, they don’t have to honour the warranty*

*Technically - whether they would want the PR disaster it would cause, I don’t know.

But the main thing for me is that the car isn’t currently under warranty, so I’m making my way through a checklist of things which need sorting to get it to Porsche standard.

Wouldn’t normally bother but the dynamic engine and transmission mounts have had some issues in the 981 and they’re about £1500 each to have repaired.

The actually cost of the warranty is quite reasonable - about the same as my 135i and cheaper when you factor in 0 excess.

But boy are they really stingy about everything.

Silly little things like battery. Has to be the Porsche one. Even though it’s made by Banner. You can’t use the Banner one, which has the same part number and a longer warranty.

Some OPCs are even funny about wiper blades. Thankfully my local one isn’t.
Does it say in the terms and conditions about these stipulations? If not they don't have a leg to stand on.

Soldato
Does it say in the terms and conditions about these stipulations? If not they don't have a leg to stand on.

I have seen quotes from it, but not yet read through in great detail.

Irrespective though - if the car isn’t yet in warranty, they can deny putting one on there if it doesn’t meet their standards.

Once the warranty is on the car, it becomes a slightly different discussion.

E.g. you might be fine having non N rated tyres as replacement while the car is in warranty. But, should you wish to extend it again, they’d likely refuse.

Man of Honour
Why not? I obviously don’t go quicker than the national speed limit so that’s not a problem ;)

There is no hard and fast rule to it but lower speed rating tyres often have poorer wet braking performance rating, can have poorer braking performance in general, etc. some don't feel great to drive on at all, though can sometimes be better for ride comfort.

Associate
It's been three months now so thought I'd give feedback on the new Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 I fitted to my Panda. The only ones I could get in my size are XL load so I think they've got stiffer sidewalls as the ride is definitely harsher. On the plus side, grip is great in dry and wet. I can't comment on snow as we've not really had any so far this winter (hence me going to all seasons on my winter rims instead of winters).

Soldato
There is no hard and fast rule to it but lower speed rating tyres often have poorer wet braking performance rating, can have poorer braking performance in general, etc. some don't feel great to drive on at all, though can sometimes be better for ride comfort.
The Michelin Primacy 4 I was looking at are 81T in the 165/65R15 and 84T or 84H in the 185/60R15. The speed rating of T is 118mph and speed rating of H is 130mph. Speed limit here is 40mph so they are rated far higher than any speed I'll ever be doing.

One of the tyre fitters I contacted had 185/60R15 in stock but in 84H, and they would have to order in 165/65R15 81T. I don't suppose there are any problems mixing 81T and 84H tyres on different axles.

Man of Honour
I had SportContact 7 fitted to my M3 back in November and I've done about 500 miles on them at a guess, including in torrential rain on the motorway and they've been bloody fantastic. They've transformed the car in the wetter/colder conditions, I never had a huge amount of confidence in the MPSS unless it's a dry summers day.

Soldato
I had SportContact 7 fitted to my M3 back in November and I've done about 500 miles on them at a guess, including in torrential rain on the motorway and they've been bloody fantastic. They've transformed the car in the wetter/colder conditions, I never had a huge amount of confidence in the MPSS unless it's a dry summers day.

My A6 Avant Quattro is in need of a set of tyres, been eyeing up the Conti SC7 as they get very good reviews. Currently £146 a corner at camskill in 255/40R19 which seems to be a great price. Currently running Goodyear Eagle F1 A5's, they've lasted pretty well, covered approx 17k miles which isn't bad for a 2 ton bus doing a lot of miles on back roads. No reason to complain about the Goodyears they have been superb, but willing to try something else when they get such great reviews plus at such a good price.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Need to get some new boots for the RS3 this week, rears for now, fronts still have 4.5mm left so they’ll be done later.

Currently have MPS4S all around and they’ve been good and do seem to last well.

Dilemma is do I stick with the Michelins, or try the Contisport 7s which are getting good reviews?

Man of Honour
I think the consensus is that the Csc7 is better than the mps4s for normal road use.
For wear rates, the mps4s is excellent and a known quantity...not too sure about the csc7 (the csc6 was atrocious though)

Man of Honour
the mps4s has slightly better wear rates than the f1a5(6) and a league better than the csc6
how many miles did you get out of the rears? i got approx 28k out of my set

Soldato
I’m really struggling with PS4S. I’m finding their grip to be exceptionally poor - I nearly spun out today coming out of a roundabout in 4th at 30.

Just accelerating out and the rear steps out. Car goes sideways and requires significant counter steer to get it back in a straight line.

Tyres were warm by this point and temperature outside was reasonable anyway.

Was genuinely like driving on a low friction surface.

Traction control light is flashing up a fair bit pulling away and during somewhat spirited driving. 800 miles into the new tyres now.

Anyone got any ideas? I’m heavily considering changing these out at the moment as my confidence is really quite low driving with them on the car.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
tyres should've been bedded in after 800 miles so quite interesting you have these issues.
i can't say i've had traction issues with mine

Caporegime
I’m really struggling with PS4S. I’m finding their grip to be exceptionally poor - I nearly spun out today coming out of a roundabout in 4th at 30.

Just accelerating out and the rear steps out. Car goes sideways and requires significant counter steer to get it back in a straight line.

Tyres were warm by this point and temperature outside was reasonable anyway.

Was genuinely like driving on a low friction surface.

Traction control light is flashing up a fair bit pulling away and during somewhat spirited driving. 800 miles into the new tyres now.

Anyone got any ideas? I’m heavily considering changing these out at the moment as my confidence is really quite low driving with them on the car.
Checked your pressures? Too high and you would significantly reduce the tyre contact patch

Back
Top Bottom