**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Having a very quick and dirty look online most show having split tyre pressures front and rear? Most places seem to recommend 29 or 30 front and 36 Rear?

They’re definitely either 33 all round or 30 for comfort pressure - the onboard computer shows 0 on each corner when checking fill pressure, denoting they’re at the correct pressure :)

I think the older gen Boxster is different but the 981 is as above

Was my first instinct though.

I guess during winter, as the tyres warm up the pressure increases very quickly and exceeds the 33 psi - when up to temperature, they typically sit at 36-37.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
the mps4s has slightly better wear rates than the f1a5(6) and a league better than the csc6
how many miles did you get out of the rears? i got approx 28k out of my set
Looking at when I've had things changed, first set of MPS4S fronts lasted about 20k, second set of fronts have been on for 10k and have 4.5mm left.

Rears were put on 25k ago and are down to 2.5mm, so not bad going.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Ordered the Michelins this morning to be fitted Thursday, they didn't have the Contis in stock in my size so saved the dilemma!

Man of Honour
Ordered the Michelins this morning to be fitted Thursday, they didn't have the Contis in stock in my size so saved the dilemma!
and running mismatched tyres! :p

(my next set would probably be the F1A6 when i next change out though...i think it has the best blend of performance/wear/reliability imo)

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
and running mismatched tyres! :p

(my next set would probably be the F1A6 when i next change out though...i think it has the best blend of performance/wear/reliability imo)
Meh they wouldn't be mismatched long, and running different axles not exactly going to cause any issues. But would be annoying to see :cry:

Caporegime
If the tyres are the same across an axle and are good tyres on each axle I don't see the problem to be honest, I always replace tyres in pairs and don't usually bother trying to match them up if a better option is available.

Its not like you will really notice unless you scrutinise your own sidewalls either. :D Unless you plan on white lettering them? :eek:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Goodyear F1A6 for BMWs

19 inch fronts (225/40/19) x2
£288 inc fitting with code LEAP20

19 inch rears (255/35/19) x2
£255 inc fitting with code LEAP20

LEAP20 can be used three times, so total = £543

Last edited:
Associate
Goodyear F1A6 for BMWs

19 inch fronts (225/40/19) x2
£288 inc fitting with code LEAP20

19 inch rears (255/35/19) x2
£255 inc fitting with code LEAP20

LEAP20 can be used three times, so total = £543
Just got 2 asymmetric 6s today from national tyres/halfords. £173 all in using there price match 225 40 18.

Man of Honour
If the tyres are the same across an axle and are good tyres on each axle I don't see the problem to be honest, I always replace tyres in pairs and don't usually bother trying to match them up if a better option is available.

Its not like you will really notice unless you scrutinise your own sidewalls either. :D Unless you plan on white lettering them? :eek:

I've mixed experiences on this - one of my vehicles had matching tyres on each axle but were different front and back, though supposedly very similar tyres, and while in the dry there was, at least to me, zero perceptible difference in the dry in the rain it was another story - could definitely notice the difference front to back and not great having more grip on the front than the back in the wet - under heavy braking even with a relatively small difference it would tend to make the back more likely to step out, changing them for all the same tyres was noticeably safer in the wet and neither were bad models of tyre.

Soldato
Good morning all!

So I was on my way home from work Tuesday night and hit the mother of all pot holes heading north on the A1M motorway half a mile from the Stevenage turn off :( thought I'd totalled my alloy but just got left with a bulge on the tyre :( :( :( :(
HQtM23z.jpg

D1ATOht.jpg

This is on my 530D with Michelin 245/35 r20 95y runflat pilot sport 3 (No clue when it comes to tyres) hence me posting here for guidance?

I've heard I can claim for it if I have photographic evidence, is that right?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
Good morning all!

So I was on my way home from work Tuesday night and hit the mother of all pot holes heading north on the A1M motorway half a mile from the Stevenage turn off :( thought I'd totalled my alloy but just got left with a bulge on the tyre :( :( :( :(
HQtM23z.jpg

D1ATOht.jpg

This is on my 530D with Michelin 245/35 r20 95y runflat pilot sport 3 (No clue when it comes to tyres) hence me posting here for guidance?

Many thanks in advance
You'll spend more time and energy than what the tyre is worth.

Soldato
Good morning all!

I can answer that from my experience (I stress my experience, I'm not saying this is the same for everyone)

I hit a pothole on a rural road near my home in Shropshire on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago which, literally, exploded the tyre and damaged the alloy. This particular road fell under the responsibility of the local authority.

It took me 4 months, photographic evidence, an FOI request and lots of persistence on my side to get a cheque from the local authorities' insurers to cover the cost of a single tyre. They would not pay for the damage to the alloy.

Would I do it again? Some may say it's the principal, which is their prerogative, but to me, my time and sanity is worth much more than the cost of a tyre.

Back
Top Bottom