**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
What?

It is rare that they are both available in the same size but in the few sizes where the choice is available there has rarely been any real difference in price between them.

In 2009 I paid £400 for 2 high performance tyres on an 18 inch wheel and that was at the time the cheapest I could find. £620 for a full set really doesn't seem that bad at all.

found my post below (2021) bmw 19 inch staggered:
nice. just saw this...and also found Halfords doing 10% discount for Goodyears too...
aargh...decisions decisions

£645.60 for MPS4S (Kwik Fit) + free earbuds lol
or
£557.96 for F1A5 (Halfords)

MPS4S are over £20 a corner dearer and the earbuds are a gimmick i don't really require :/
swaying towards the F1A5 though can be convinced either way tbh

Exactly my thoughts and he didnt even say what size they were. 4 x PS4 for my car would be £1400
haha yes you're entirely right, i did assume just the standard 19s :(

Soldato
I was going to replace a couple of worn tyres on my Toyota Auris and I've always been cheap and bought budget rubber. But thought it was time to go midrange and replace all four tyres. After considering the Avon ZV7 and Dunlop Sports Blue Response I ended up buying 4 x Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 to be fitted on Monday at National Tyres/Halfords. Best price I found was with their 15% discount, worked out £321. I was swayed by the B and A fuel and wetgrip ratings respectively.

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Anyone know when the next Black Circles sale is...?

20240319-081842-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
To be fair that was taken after a day at Anglesey, by the time I'd for home (4 hours later!) they were looking much more like normal tyres again, don't get me wrong, they're well scrubbed but they've got still got life in them.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Ha, yeah a mate messaged me earlier and said the same. I'd quite like the Continental SC7, shame no offer on them.

Caporegime
Ha, yeah a mate messaged me earlier and said the same. I'd quite like the Continental SC7, shame no offer on them.

I loved them on my Focus ST but they did overheat on the ring, perfect for the road. Did you drop the pressures on your tyres during the track day? Looks like you've overworked them a little lol.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah had to drop them quite a bit, they are Goodyear AS6's, and while the grip is amazing they do wear quickly, and they've done 2 track days now.

The PS4S are a bargain with the 15% off, hard not to take that tbh. I'll call the local place I usually use tomorrow and see what they can do, but I might have to have the PS4s for that price. If I can get teh SC7 for a decent deal I'll have them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair that was taken after a day at Anglesey, by the time I'd for home (4 hours later!) they were looking much more like normal tyres again, don't get me wrong, they're well scrubbed but they've got still got life in them.
In my formative years, I had tyres looking a bit like that from road driving. :p

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Spoke to the local tyre place I usually use...

Goodyear AS6: £163.50
Michelin PS4S: £189.00
Continental SC7: £157.50

Great prices compared to Black Circles for 225/35/19, having 4 new CSC7 on tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Had the SC7 fitted this morning, no real opinion yet, need to run them in (and clean and dress them!) first.

First impression is that they don't have quite as much rim protection as the AS6 do, if that's your thing. It's there but the AS6 has a chunky lip on them.

Soldato
Soldato
Hi all,

My mums Tiguan needs some tyres. Crossclimate 2 "SUV" are on offer at the moment @ ATS Euromaster. Currently it has Pirelli Scorpion Verde fitted which we have been quite happy with.
Are the Crossclimate 2's comparable? Struggling to find comparisons between the two tyres.

Thanks

Man of Honour
My mums Tiguan needs some tyres. Crossclimate 2 "SUV" are on offer at the moment @ ATS Euromaster. Currently it has Pirelli Scorpion Verde fitted which we have been quite happy with.
Are the Crossclimate 2's comparable? Struggling to find comparisons between the two tyres.
there isn't any straight comparisons as your current tyres are summer tyres, whereas the CC2 are all season tyres

you're going to have to do a massive amount of data extrapolation:

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
there isn't any straight comparisons as your current tyres are summer tyres, whereas the CC2 are all season tyres

you're going to have to do a massive amount of data extrapolation:
Scorpion verde are marketed as all seasons though...

Man of Honour
Scorpion verde are marketed as all seasons though...
ah yes, you're right. there's three versions of the scorpion verde according to tyre reviews

if that's the case then the CC2 should be an upgrade, seeing that the cross climate has gone through 2 interations already (CC -> CC+ -> CC2), so some etrapolation needed to this tyre review

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Thanks
Our Tiguan has been perfectly fine in snow & ice with the Pirelli's, and at the time of replacement they were much cheaper compared to CC2 so we stuck with them.

Soldato
Soldato
Our Tiguan has been perfectly fine in snow & ice with the Pirelli's, and at the time of replacement they were much cheaper compared to CC2 so we stuck with them.
Cheers.
Managed to get CC2 @ £539 for 4 (~£135 per tyre) fitted at Costco which is relatively dirt cheap, so going to go for those. I can't find the pirelli's anywhere!

Back
Top Bottom