Upgrade family PC?

Man of Honour
I am not trying to save money!
Then to be clear, the arguments for DDR5 are:
- Higher capacity, since it goes up to 256GB for 4 sticks (possibly higher in the future), from 128GB max for DDR4.
- Higher performance, though it depends on the speed of the memory and what exactly you're doing with it.
- Likely to be more reusable or resaleable in the future.
- Newer CPUs might make better use of the speed and as games get more demanding on the CPU, the performance gap could increase.

The performance loss from dropping down to DDR4 is not a big one, but at this point, I'd much rather have DDR5.

Man of Honour
Just to expand on this, I removed the SSD, but as soon as I tried all USB slots, it just kept giving me a flashing cursor. Even if I had got it to boot, there would have no way to get back into the front end of the BIOS to do anything. None of usual keyboard inputs would work.
i think i found a workaround.

seems like it's an nvme m.2 issue. try with a sata drive/ssd?

PS are you flashing the bios within windows (using the @BIOS utility)? you should flash within bios itself (using the q-flash utility)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i think i found a workaround.

seems like it's an nvme m.2 issue. try with a sata drive/ssd?

PS are you flashing the bios within windows (using the @BIOS utility)? you should flash within bios itself (using the q-flash utility)
Thanks...excellent read on.....
I was and I still am using Q Flash utility. Anyway, I have removed the nvme, fitted my old blank Samsung SSD and put my USB media in the USB3.2 in the back of the PC and it worked. I am in the BIOS and it shows F31.
I am now going to follow the Bios route that Gigabyte advised me to take.
F31
F40
F53.
I will keep you posted. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@GunRunner
let us know how you get on :)
once the bios is updated you can drop any ryzen 5000 series chip in and you can upgrade to win 11
saves spending a pretty penny...

you don't really need to upgrade to 32gb ram either as it doesn't sound that the computer is being used heavily

Associate
OP
@GunRunner
let us know how you get on :)
once the bios is updated you can drop any ryzen 5000 series chip in and you can upgrade to win 11
saves spending a pretty penny...

you don't really need to upgrade to 32gb ram either as it doesn't sound that the computer is being used heavily
I am now going to follow the Bios route that Gigabyte advised me to take.
F31
F40
F53
A lot of swappng around, but that has done it. Now all I need is a later CPU. Which chip do you guys recommend?

I can then go to Windows 11.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks
A minor problem has arisen. Microsft Office Professional 2019 wants to be activated. It was done many years ago when I purchased it originally. This must have something to do with all the reboots and putting the NVME back in and also running the repair option on the USB. Anyway, I have one more go left.

It gives me the option of putting in a code or a telephone activation. I read some years ago that one uses the telephone option, but I have forgotten what happens. Any idea?
Thanks again.
EDITED.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Last edited:
Man of Honour
@GunRunner
5600/x = 5600 or 5600x

There's only a 5%-ish performance difference between the two.

However the 5600 is much more power efficient (65w Vs 95w) and hence cooler/quieter
Also cheaper

Personally would get the 5600 rather than the 5600x

Associate
Why do you want to upgrade to Windows 11? I would hold on Windows 10 as long as possible, I have had nothing but trouble since I had a forced Windows 11 upgrade, even a clean install has only partially helped. My current favourite game, RDR2, has so many more random crashes and I get out of memory errors with my GPU even though it has 24G of VRAM and actual memory utilisation of about 25%.

Associate
OP
I am minded to upgrade my PC that is now successfully running Windows 11 from 16GB RAM to 32GB RAM. Currently I have fitted the following:
Team 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB)DDR4 3000
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v
TDGED416G3000HC16CDC01
If I do go down this route, do I purchase an identical kit to the above and fit to 2 other empty slots, assuming the identical kit is still available, or do I go to a 2 x16GB kit? The Gigabyte support list for combatible RAM is endless. The list does not show the "Vermeer" although trawling through gooogle, I see the 5600X chip is based on "Cezanne" but without the CPU.
Further research shows the following kit would be suitable:
If I use Gooogle as my friend I can get a 32gb kit from a top tier manufacturer for around £50 ish.

I could then sell the 16 gb (2 x 8GB kit) on the bay.

Thanks in Anticipation.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The 5600X is Vermeer, it never had the IGP from the Cezanne CPUs.

This is always the safest option, 4 sticks may or may not work (and if it does work, it is likely to need more tWithout the GPU

The 5600X is Vermeer, it never had the IGP from the Cezanne CPUs.

This is always the safest option, 4 sticks may or may not work (and if it does work, it is likely to need more tuning).
The problem is that the there is no reference on the Gigabyte site concerning compatible RAM for the Vermeer CPU. It refers to the Cezanne as the latest list.

More information on the different AMD CPUs
Link for vermeer

The Cpu I have is the:
Ryzen 5 (PRO)-Series Ryzen 5 5600X 6 12 3.7GHz 7 nm AM4 100-100000065BOX B0

Last edited:
Man of Honour
before wasting money (again :p ), i would suggest you keep track on your ram usage to see if you will actually benefit from upgrading to 32gb lol

Associate
OP
before wasting money (again :p ), i would suggest you keep track on your ram usage to see if you will actually benefit from upgrading to 32gb lol
Thanks. I have been doing just that. The utility (Advanced SystemCare) shows that in many cases I am using shows around 90% usage and there are times where the system appears to be slowing down.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
fair enough. if that's the case then upgrading to 32gb will definitely be worth the outlay
in most cases, 2x16gb 3200mhz c16 ram is sufficiently quick and will have the most compatibility with the cpu
the ryzen 5600x does benefit from faster ram (eg 3600c16) very slightly compared to 3200c16, however this places more stress on the memory controller and not all chips can run memory at that rated speed
you don't have to solely pick from the QVL as not all ram will be validated but will run just fine
i would not recommend using 4 sticks of ram as the ryzen memory controller is very finicky

for the most hassle-free installation, i would just get a 2x16gb 3200c16 set
plop that in and enable docp/xmp in bios
shouldn't need to tinker with any other voltages/speed/timings unless your cpu has a lemon memory controller

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom