Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Right been so busy with work and holidays that I've been far too tired and busy to look at stuff. Dunno what to look at next either, there is a sort of queue system but its clearly not perfect :cry: This week and over the weekend alongside a load of other stuff I need to fix I am going to try and fix Journeys first gpu and get that laptop done. I need to do other stuff in my queue from the discord and from ebay so the old backlog is building up chaps.

So list is looking like this:

1) The custom gba im building for a fella needs to get finished
2) Just finished a WonderSwan build for a customer so need to drop that off and he has 6 consoles he wants modded/repaired so will probably grab a few of them.
3) @Webzta - 3080 parts are in so I need to dig deeper into it (next few days).
3) @Journey GPU - Parts are in so need to swap the ram (next few days).
4) @Martini1991 laptop - still haven't even opened up the sleeve it came in.
5) megadrive / mega cd / flash cart repair (Fixed the flash cart last night, would have probably made quite an interesting repair but with the backlog I haven't been filming everything - involved taking off the sram and unbricking it)
6) Would quite like to fix my pc engine at some point.

ohhh and that's without the backlog of my buy to fix and sell stuff that's rapidly building up. Gotta get off my back side and get cracking on.

Man of Honour
OP
I am in no hurry at all, happy to be at the back of the Queue. :)

Its one of the easier jobs in the queue and one i'm actually going to really enjoy and will make nice pretty pictures! replacing bga chips always makes nice pictures! The queue is also sometimes dictated by what I fancy doing on the day :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
IPS modded swan finished...

Been super ill today but at least I finished that. I built the swan etc but hadn't sorted the game and had some issues with the power button that are now all sorted.. happy with that.

Last edited:
Associate
Right been so busy with work and holidays that I've been far too tired and busy to look at stuff. Dunno what to look at next either, there is a sort of queue system but its clearly not perfect :cry: This week and over the weekend alongside a load of other stuff I need to fix I am going to try and fix Journeys first gpu and get that laptop done. I need to do other stuff in my queue from the discord and from ebay so the old backlog is building up chaps.

So list is looking like this:

1) The custom gba im building for a fella needs to get finished
2) Just finished a WonderSwan build for a customer so need to drop that off and he has 6 consoles he wants modded/repaired so will probably grab a few of them.
3) @Webzta - 3080 parts are in so I need to dig deeper into it (next few days).
3) @Journey GPU - Parts are in so need to swap the ram (next few days).
4) @Martini1991 laptop - still haven't even opened up the sleeve it came in.
5) megadrive / mega cd / flash cart repair (Fixed the flash cart last night, would have probably made quite an interesting repair but with the backlog I haven't been filming everything - involved taking off the sram and unbricking it)
6) Would quite like to fix my pc engine at some point.

ohhh and that's without the backlog of my buy to fix and sell stuff that's rapidly building up. Gotta get off my back side and get cracking on.

Thanks mate, as above I'm happy for you to look/do whenever it suits you.

Man of Honour
OP
Finished a custom switch, bought it as a failed reshell with no signs of life for £50, it also had a mashed up charge port, bent pins in the fpc for the daughter board, digi that sat proud of the switch... it was just a mess...

Parts that went into it were usb-c port, daughter fpc, battery, digitizer, only thing I actually bought was the digi the rest i pulled from donors... came out pretty nice in the end and is now together properly :)

Still not feeling great and a switch seemed the easy option...

Tomorrow is another day so hopefully I'm not feeling like death and can crack out a couple of things more.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
There's some brutal illnesses going around at the moment like lol.

Mate tell me about it... Im sitting here with 2 jumpers and a hoodie on... and I am still cold! Turns out the owner of that there GB wants more mods... Shouldnt have said... "you know what this is missing" :cry:

Man of Honour
OP
I'm assuming it is dead... :p

Of course not - I didn't finish the job as had committed to working last night through the night on proper work stuff. So its sitting with all its chips off waiting for me to install the new ones. On another note this new flux im using is nasty to remove... I keep changing fluxes based on whats readily available... should have just stuck with the Amtech to be honest but the last Kingbo stuff I had was also pretty good so thought id try yet another different one lol - Totally counter intuitive... I found good flux so lets try more :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
You will be pleased to know that she is rocking along today so far...

4 of 6 chips replaced - GPU's really do test the limits of my kit... they just eat so much heat! Im at like 450 degrees just to get things moving... most other boards im working down in the mid to late 300's.

Last edited:
Soldato
You will be pleased to know that she is rocking along today so far...

4 of 6 chips replaced - GPU's really do test the limits of my kit... they just eat so much heat! Im at like 450 degrees just to get things moving... most other boards im working down in the mid to late 300's.

Do you know why they don't all face the same way? Assume it is something I won't understand. :p

Man of Honour
OP
Do you know why they don't all face the same way? Assume it is something I won't understand. :p

Its most likely for trace length/data integrity reasons. Am hoping that a bit later on tonight ill have it in the wifes machine for a test :) - I point blank refuse to take mine apart.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom