Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Board is ready, I could reball it by hand but I won't... I'll just wait for the £4 stencil.

I did quickly re-flow all the other ic's while I was there just to be sure.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Got to weigh up the options then, if it is only the Memory IC's and the rest of the card is fine then maybe just order them as cheap as possible form Taobao/Aliexpress or something, and wait for delivery. How many hours is it going to take you to replace 6x memory IC's, and retest the card, as I need to make sure you are adequately compensated. :)

This one I re-checked the mem voltage and power stage and it looks to be perfectly fine... I recon it is just all the IC's. Even if you say no I think I am swapping them, for science.

Soldato
This one I re-checked the mem voltage and power stage and it looks to be perfectly fine... I recon it is just all the IC's. Even if you say no I think I am swapping them, for science.

If the other one works with just a r-eball, then I am happy to foot the bill for the other one to be repaired as well, should be worthwhile then. :)

Soldato
@Finners - Spent another hour with this beast and a year later I still can't fix it :( all its rails are present but it just won't fire up. I think it's time I send it home.

I hope this is your one and my bits of paper haven't got mixed up at least.

Thanks for trying to resurrect her, I'm not worried about you sending it back. If its any good to you for spares you can keep hold of it. I'll be honest I'm only going to throw it away/recycle it if you send it back, doesn't seem worth getting it shipped around.

Thanks again for trying to fix it, it died it such unspectacular fashion I thought it may have been something simple and it felt wasteful throwing it away without trying to get it fixed.

Man of Honour
OP
If the other one works with just a r-eball, then I am happy to foot the bill for the other one to be repaired as well, should be worthwhile then. :)

Well we shall see what happens with the other one. ill keep you updated :) dunno how long it takes to get memory here from that dude over in china. But I did order it :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
So problem - I have worked out that my particular lcd board doesnt like the dfo mod. Ive had to take it all back out.... I also then worked out that I can turn the console to output pal just fine without a region mod but that my screen doesnt like it.

I only have a single game that it wont play which is sonic spinball but I can force it to play spinball... the dfo just isnt working for me so I have removed it and am looking for alternatives.

Man of Honour
OP
So problem - I have worked out that my particular lcd board doesnt like the dfo mod. Ive had to take it all back out.... I also then worked out that I can turn the console to output pal just fine without a region mod but that my screen doesnt like it.

I only have a single game that it wont play which is sonic spinball but I can force it to play spinball... the dfo just isnt working for me so I have removed it and am looking for alternatives.

I lied, I got the mod working with my screen - well sort of :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
That Nomad is superb. Awesome bit of kit.

Knowing how bad the battery life is on a Game Gear, how does the Nomad compare?

No idea as I havent yet had it on batteries as they had an external battery adapter thing that I dont have... I have however ordered some "stuff" so that I can put the same LiPo config in it that is in my GG so I will be able to face them off once that is done. My GG will do about 10 hours on it's batteries.

Back
Top Bottom