Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I got mine through yesterday this is my contract (which is wrong on there because I only pay £37.50)
Screenshot-2024-03-14-114347.png

This is what I got through email yesterday

Screenshot-2024-03-14-114311.png

I think this is my last year with VM so much to choose from round my area now and I have always wanted faster upload not download. The pods I used for about a week and the phone's been used twice and that was to talk to VM about removing it because of constant junk phone calls but they wanted to charge me the full exit fee if I removed the phone.

Soldato
Afternoon all

Just got a letter in the post from VM with a price increase, from £33.50 to £36.45 I seem to remember I can refuse this mid contract and ask for the service to be disconnected within a certain period?

Or did I dream that? FTTP has been rolled out in my road so I might take this opportunity to change providers

Soldato
I'm told a manager has ordered me a Hub 5 and I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

My current speed doesn't normally qualify for the Hub 5, but an engineer came to my property recently and offered to put one in there and then. I declined, as I was a sceptical and wanted to look up what people said and my findings are positive. As the engineer noted all of this on my account, Virgin are telling me they will post one out to me on this basis, but they wouldn't normally hence the need for a manager to order it. I've not had an email confirming my order or with a tracking number, but this is apparently normal when managers order equipment like this.
I did not have any problems with the hub 3 so the hub 5 is just a new box. It does have a 2.5Gb port and the settings pages seem faster but that the only difference for me.

Associate
Afternoon all

Just got a letter in the post from VM with a price increase, from £33.50 to £36.45 I seem to remember I can refuse this mid contract and ask for the service to be disconnected within a certain period?

Or did I dream that? FTTP has been rolled out in my road so I might take this opportunity to change providers
Think they stopped allowing mid contract exits a while ago.

Associate
After constantly bouncing between Sky, virgin and even BT every contract renewal, the last two Virgin renewals have been pretty painless in terms of them offering relative value.

Yes, it's a lot of money monthly in pure £ amount, but we've just renewed on pretty much the original deal from 3 years ago for the second time, the only thing we had to change was TNT sports now costs £10, now if only I could get a hub 5 out of them.

Soldato
I've just gone out of contract but VM has been really good with me as the line hasn't dropped once on 1GB, is it best for me to ring them for a new deal? price I am paying now is way too much.

Was offered £62 a month online which is ridiculous....is it easy to get through to someone who can offer better deal too?

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've just gone out of contract but VM has been really good with me as the line hasn't dropped once on 1GB, is it best for me to ring them for a new deal? price I am paying now is way too much.

Was offered £62 a month online which is ridiculous....is it easy to get through to someone who can offer better deal too?

Thanks
If you're out of contract now just phone up and go through the 'thinking of leaving' option and say you want to leave. When asked why just say you can't afford it anymore - they can't argue this and found it the best way rather than 'arguing' with them about other ISPs and things. They'll do a couple of offers which might be okay (maybe 2nd or 3rd one) but ultimately you have to put in your 30 day cancellation notice and wait for them to then phone you back to get the best offer.

Last edited:
Associate

Thanks
You just have to keep on bugging them, we start asking a month or so early what they can do, this was the last deal we got at renewal

Your package (12th March-11th April) £64.00
Your package total is made up of ‘main’ and ‘add-on’ services
Main: £64.00 Add On: £0.00
Find out more
Ultimate Volt bundle £157.50
This includes
Telephone Line Rental
Talk More Anytime
Sky Sports HD Pack
Sky Sports and Cinema Collection
Kids Pick
Maxit TV
Virgin TV 360 Box
Virgin TV 360 Mini Box
Sky Entertainment & Cinema Ultra HD
Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband
Netflix Standard
1 Additional TV Box
Voicemail Free

Promotions & discounts Credit £93.50
Ultimate bundle offer - 18 month saving, ends on 12 April 2024

I guess it depends on what you want, and what it's worth to you. If all you want is the 1gig internet, and have no interest in the TV side there probably isn't a deal to be made as £40 seems to be as low as they will go.

The sport channels, extra box and Netflix, which we would pay for anyway, make the deal for us. The Cinema channels, for example, I couldn't care less about, but there's no discount for not having them.

Soldato

Thanks
My auto retention is £36, although with a requirement to keep my O2 sim so effectively about £50.

So if they prove stubborn try the 500mbit route with an O2 sim as that will bump it to gig1.

They sent me a new auto retention offer yesterday, this second one waives the 2024 RPI increase, but I dont know any other details because if I click the link the VM web page is broken with an internal error and for whatever reason they didnt want to put the price in the email. The email also says if I sign into my virgin media I can see my renewal offer, but nowhere to be seen.

I have dithered because of a potential move to city fibre, but city fibre seem to have really restrictive polices on installing into flats, I mean the hoops have to jump through are borderline insanity. My flat is basically a SDU, and they still want to wire up the entire building with my landlord waiving all liability for damages etc. The chances are I wont go through with CF, as it isnt worth upsetting harmony when I already have gig1, and like yours it has been working really well.

Also interesting footnote, the retention email shows an image of a hub I havent seen before, its not the hub 4 or hub 5.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking to move from Sky as can only get 20Mbps at most. Are there any new customer deals with Virgin?

Look at the 1 gig internet and the stream box. This is £40 a month for the internet, one off cost of the stream box £35, then £15 a month of entertainment. Can also get £97 Top cashback.

Anything better out there?

Associate
I'm now 30 days away from my current deal ending so started the obligatory cancelation of the line.

Currently paying £26 a month for 1gig (broadband only) as 02 volt customer.
They offered me £46 on a new contract, told them to stick it.

I now await the half dozen calls from retentions until they are able to renew at the existing price!
Thats a really good price!

I am speaking with live chat atm and may as well be speaking in Wingdings, its depressing.

Soldato
Thats a really good price!

I am speaking with live chat atm and may as well be speaking in Wingdings, its depressing.
If you want something to be really depressed about, try calling them and ending up with an offshore agent. I can get more sense out of my dog than those people.

I'm told a manager has ordered me a Hub 5 and I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hype is about.

My current speed doesn't normally qualify for the Hub 5, but an engineer came to my property recently and offered to put one in there and then. I declined, as I was a sceptical and wanted to look up what people said and my findings are positive. As the engineer noted all of this on my account, Virgin are telling me they will post one out to me on this basis, but they wouldn't normally hence the need for a manager to order it. I've not had an email confirming my order or with a tracking number, but this is apparently normal when managers order equipment like this.
My SuperHub 5 arrived and I've got in installed. My overall impression is that it's a very nice upgrade from the SuperHub 3.

The only problem I can find with it though, is if you change the Wi-Fi password you can't use the WPS button on the back. I think the SuperHub 3 did this too, which is why I ended disabling WPS on it - and now I've done the same on this SuperHub 5.

The ability to change the LED brightness is a very nice and welcome touch. I particularly like that it will come on regardless whenever there's a problem, so I don't need to worry about missing any issues as and when they occur.

I had a fun couple of hours typing the password into everything again. I made things worse for myself by creating a long password, but never mind everything is working now.

Associate
I had a fun couple of hours typing the password into everything again. I made things worse for myself by creating a long password, but never mind everything is working now.
Sorry if I'm missing something here but why didn't you just put the same SSID and password from the Hub 3 onto the Hub 5? You wouldn't have to do anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry if I'm missing something here but why didn't you just put the same SSID and password from the Hub 3 onto the Hub 5? You wouldn't have to do anything.
I just saw the new hub as an opportunity to beef up my security, so I took it upon myself to spend a little time doing just that. I think I last changed my Wi-Fi password ~10 years ago, so I guess you could say it was overdue.

Last edited:
Associate
@Sythe79

You'd got 3 boxes, gig 1, and all the channelss under the sun for £64?????
2 boxes. yes that was the first renewal, can't complain, this renewal was a little more and BT/TNT isn't in their TV package any more so they offered it at £10.

After having to swap providers after each new customer offer ends several times in the past, it's been nice not have to deal with the hassle twice in a row.

Soldato
When I got my SH5 was faulty and they replaced it with an SH4 I just copied the name and password from the previous router to save having to reconnect everything.

Once the previous details where put in everything reconnected

Back
Top Bottom