Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Well, I served notice via webchat yesterday (eventually) and got a call from retentions this morning who have offered a very reasonable £22pm for 250mbps which was an easy decision and saves the hassle of changing supplier/router.

Best part is, I can only get FTTC in my area as Virgin are the sole providers of FTTP (for now) so I didn't have much bargaining room, but bluffed it hard

Soldato
currently pay £22 for 132mb and £5.80 for 02 sim contract is coming to an end this April, and past month finally have FTTP but only providers like BT, Talk talk, vodafone, plusnet none of the providers that offer much better prices :( I dont really care for the sim I can just go with rolling 30 day sim only deals which I prefer

looking at compare sites for deals Virgin actually have the best deals for new customers

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for all the info in this thread.
I'm currently out of contract with VM and paying
£83 for
125MB broadband
Mix 150 TV
Phone line

This seems crazy given the new customer deals and I should have done something about it a while ago but just couldn't bring myself to do the retentions dance.

They just put 1gig FTTP in our area and you can get that for £30, plus say a Sky TV box for £30

I don't really want to move providers but in terms of value for money it's not great.
I'd be happy with 500MB BB and similar TV from Virgin.

I rang them today and got offered £66 for 250MB, same TV, landline.
So I told them I'd transfer service elsewhere and to put my notice in.

That was apparently the best they can do and was told "You don't need faster broadband as you're not using it" and not to expect a outbound retentions call as they don't do that anymore!
:(

We shall see if retentions get in touch.
What's the worst case? Can I just re-register for VM in my partners name as a new customer on the termination date?

Associate
What's the worst case? Can I just re-register for VM in my partners name as a new customer on the termination date?

They told me there is a window of 3 months for the same address, but cannot see how they can enforce that as it could be someone moving, so its probably the random excuse of the day. VM are just trying to avoid giving better deals and have moved the old haggle before cancelling to only giving good offers after giving notice for most customers.

I am finding more and more companies are playing harder with renewal deals in the last couple of years.

Soldato
They told me there is a window of 3 months for the same address, but cannot see how they can enforce that as it could be someone moving, so its probably the random excuse of the day. VM are just trying to avoid giving better deals and have moved the old haggle before cancelling to only giving good offers after giving notice for most customers.

I am finding more and more companies are playing harder with renewal deals in the last couple of years.

3 months under the same name I'd guess for the moving reasons I'd say.

Soldato
Could someone tell me if the deal VM are offering me is as good as I can get? When I agreed to my current contract October(ish) 2022 it was £65 p/m which they promptly increased to £85 in April 2023 and they're now offering me the same contract for £89 p/m. For that I will get;

1gig broadband
Sky Sports
TNT Sports
Movies
Landline
Netflix
2nd set top box

I've no idea if that's a good/bad/average package for £89 p/m.

Thanks

Associate
Could someone tell me if the deal VM are offering me is as good as I can get? When I agreed to my current contract October(ish) 2022 it was £65 p/m which they promptly increased to £85 in April 2023 and they're now offering me the same contract for £89 p/m. For that I will get;

1gig broadband
Sky Sports
TNT Sports
Movies
Landline
Netflix
2nd set top box

I've no idea if that's a good/bad/average package for £89 p/m.

Thanks
I thought they stopped giving out TNT sports, so to me that looks pretty decent considering all the sports you are getting. Others in the thread may know better though..

Soldato
Got my 1 Gig connection in today and am delighted to be seeing speeds of 455.4 Mbps took about 10 minutes to download a 55gig game where on my old BT connection id be looking at 10 hours. Can anyone reccomend me a decent wifi 6 adapter card for my other pc or dongle please.

Soldato
Got my 1 Gig connection in today and am delighted to be seeing speeds of 455.4 Mbps took about 10 minutes to download a 55gig game where on my old BT connection id be looking at 10 hours. Can anyone reccomend me a decent wifi 6 adapter card for my other pc or dongle please.
If at all reasonably possible, run a cable - anything else is a compromise.

Soldato
I wish I could but the hub 5 is downstairs and my 2 pc's are upstairs. So got to run off Wi-Fi. My pc number 1 the Asus B650E-E gaming Wi-Fi based system is achieving great download speeds I spoke off. My pc number 2 however MSI tomahawk X570 has terrible download speeds. I'm sure this is more to do with the Wi-Fi on board, so I've ordered Ugreen Wi-Fi dongle AX1800 Wi-Fi 6. If that's not the answer then I don't know.

Last edited:
Associate
So, after giving them my cancellation notice yesterday I got a call off retentions this morning.
We ended up with an improved package offered at £39, which is much more reasonable :D
It'll do nicely until it becomes time to do the retentions dance again!

Soldato
I wish I could but the hub 5 is downstairs and my 2 pc's are upstairs. So got to run off Wi-Fi. My pc number 1 the Asus B650E-E gaming Wi-Fi based system is achieving great download speeds I spoke off. My pc number 2 however MSI tomahawk X570 has terrible download speeds. I'm sure this is more to do with the Wi-Fi on board, so I've ordered Ugreen Wi-Fi dongle AX1800 Wi-Fi 6. If that's not the answer then I don't know.
Ugreen aren’t exactly known for high quality products, hopefully it has external antenna and you can get what you need out of it, perhaps a USB extension may avoid it being stuck in the back of a RF shielded box next to an RF shielded screen in the corner of two walls as is often sadly the case.

Soldato
Ugreen aren’t exactly known for high quality products, hopefully it has external antenna and you can get what you need out of it, perhaps a USB extension may avoid it being stuck in the back of a RF shielded box next to an RF shielded screen in the corner of two walls as is often sadly the case.
Thing is my 2 pcs are in the same room, 1 hits 3 to 4 hundred Mbps a second and the other the most ive seen is 30. This is when downloading games on steam. Speed tests are showing it as fine but steam downloads are so slow on pc 2. Im thinking its something to do with steam.

Soldato
Ok ive got to admit here ive been an idiot. i noticed on my good pc in downloads the toggle was set to show download speeds in bits per second and my problem pc wasnt! so when i toggled it hey presto 2/300 Mbps a second. I thought i was seeing fast speeds and i was. So it was me being stupid again.

Soldato
I wish I could but the hub 5 is downstairs and my 2 pc's are upstairs. So got to run off Wi-Fi.

Where there's a will, there's a way... Get a long masonry drill bit, 2x Ethernet wall boxes, 1x 10-15 metre exterior grade patch cable then chop the ends off (it's cheaper than buying a length of cable direct), 1x krone IDC punchdown tool. Done, for around the price of a single WiFi dongle! You can plug in a switch upstairs and then connect your devices to that. If I can do it, a quadriplegic moron can do it! :cry:

After 20-odd years, the BQM for our VM gigabit turned solid red for the last time at midnight today. Finally done with their nonsense!

Soldato
My experience with the hub 2-3 wasnt the best needed restarting every few days because the WiFi would just mess up probably had trouble handling multiple devices, WiFi range wasn't great either, so just put it into modem mode and bought own router difference is light and day

Not sure how good the hub 5 is I just put it into modem mode never tried it I don't have much confidence with provider supplied routers

Last edited:
Soldato
Where there's a will, there's a way... Get a long masonry drill bit, 2x Ethernet wall boxes, 1x 10-15 metre exterior grade patch cable then chop the ends off (it's cheaper than buying a length of cable direct), 1x krone IDC punchdown tool. Done, for around the price of a single WiFi dongle! You can plug in a switch upstairs and then connect your devices to that. If I can do it, a quadriplegic moron can do it! :cry:

After 20-odd years, the BQM for our VM gigabit turned solid red for the last time at midnight today. Finally done with their nonsense!
That's actually very interesting thank you. I'm certainly looking into it. :)

Is there any guides anywhere?

Last edited:
Soldato
That's actually very interesting thank you. I'm certainly looking into it. :)

Is there any guides anywhere?
YouTube is your friend. Just watch a few videos, but assuming brick it's as simple as drilling through both walls (if cavity) upstairs and down, pass through the cable (I used the drill bit and some electrical tape), and feed it back in at the other end. I fed inside-out from upstairs, and kept on pushing cable until it pooled on the ground outside, so I didn't need to mess around feeding it back into upstairs while up a ladder. Ensure you leave a 'drip loop' at both ends so that rain doesn't work along the cable and into your wall/house.

Once the ends of the cable are inside the house, strip the last 2 inches / 5cm at each end of the cable, arrange the eight coloured wires into the wall box following the 'B' specification (printed on every box/module), punch down with the tool and you're done. You can screw the box to the wall before or after. Dot some clear silicone into/over the hole where the cable enters/exits to stop water ingress, tack the cable to the wall with brick cable clips, and you're done. I'm sure the pros will cringe, but I did the same thing years ago now and it's still neat, tidy and working flawlessly.

Associate
I recently joined end of January, great install, ordered back end of December though!, 1gig fibre only £45 month.
All been great speeds, but only recently on direct connection to main pc, wifi can be poor in other parts of house, so maybe I upgrade to a wifi mesh system at some point, I used to use powerline adapters in house instead.

Soldato
In the process of bargaining with VM currently pay £66 a month for this.

• Telephone Line Rental
  • Talk Weekends
  • Mixit TV
  • Virgin TV 360 Box
  • Volt Gig1 Fibre Broadband
Im in the chat currently new price is £93 with price increase etc from April I said I wont renew unless it stays at same £66 they currently offered me £70 I refused and went £66 and no message for a while....

I laughed when they said they would increase my speeds by 3x when Im on 1gb already :D

Back
Top Bottom