Associate
I just changed from NordVPN to PIA and am regretting it. I was just abroad and it would not allow me to connect to the bbc. Maybe i need to config something? Also when using it google are continually wanting me to confirm I am human! Wish I'd checked here 1st.

Had the same issue with Nord recently when overseas. Trying to watch iplayer and had to clear all my cookies etc and try several different UK servers before it started working. It was running for about 40 minutes before it kicked me out again. Nord subscription is up in December so I'll be looking for something a bit more reliable then I think.

Soldato
Well, I went for standard TorGuard and streaming bundle. Discovery Plus USA content does not work in the UK, website logs me out and the APPs report can only display content from your registered region! Bah!

Soldato
Just spin up a free tier Oracle Cloud VM in your chosen location and install Wireguard onto it, VPN into that and you should be fine.

It's not a VPN issue, that is working. Discovery know I'm using a UK and using paid account so won't allow USA content from that. UK account won't login to USA servers, if logged into website via UK then fire up the VPN to the USA, logs me out. I would need to sign up another paid account, which I won't be doing.

Permabanned
For streaming services, use a residential proxy. They offer you a clean address from the country you need, so you have access everywhere you need.

I got a residential one from proxys.io for the USA for 1.5$ per month and set it up in the Mozilla browser, and tada - all works, no more headaches with servers and VPNs.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a problem with a new home VPN server setup that I can't get working for Wireguard. But the exact same setup works perfectly with OpenVPN. If anyone has come across similar then I would appreciate any suggestions. I would prefer to use Wireguard because it is faster.

Setup
I use NowTV Broadband.
I am using their default supplied router.
I have a secondary router (a GL.INet AXT1800 Slate AX) on my network (connected over wifi but I have also tried ethernet).
I have forwarded the necessary ports from the NowTV router to the AXT1800 router (51820 for Wireguard and 1194 for OpenVPN).
I have accepted the default IP's when setting up the VPN's.

What I am trying to do
As a test I am trying to connect my phone (Pixel 7 Pro) over the mobile network into my home network using a VPN.

What I expect to happen
I expect to be able to use either Wireguard or OpenVPN on a remote client, connecting to the VPN server in my home (AXT1800) and access all resources in the home, including being able to browse the internet "from my home network".

What is actually happening
1) Success: Using OpenVPN I am successfully able to use the VPN on my phone to connect to my home network and browse the internet from there. I have confirmed I am definitely on my home network by checking my external IP.
2) Fail: Using Wireguard I appear to be connecting to the home network (the VPN server on the AXT1800 confirms one client has successfully connected, proving that port forwarding to the AXT1800 is working). But any attempt to browse the internet results in a timeout on the phones browser.

Any thoughts on why the exact same setup works with OpenVPN but doesn't using Wireguard? Obviously there is a setting I have missed somewhere. But as I have accepted all defaults I am not sure what I have missed.

Thank you.

Man of Honour
Can you ping other clients on the LAN?
Can you resolve domain names?
Can you ping an IP such as 8.8.8.8?
Thanks for the reply. I currently think it is a problem on the phone. If I use the phone simply as a hotspot, connect to it with my laptop, and then run either OpenVPN or Wireguard on the laptop then it works fine for both VPN's. I will do some more investigations into your questions. But I think it's a phone issue somehow. I was only really using the phone to test it rather than needing the phone itself to work. Ultimately I will be creating a VPN between two sites with two routers.

Reactions: KIA
Associate
Hello :)

had windscribe pro for couple of weeks now did some speed tests. Connected to London

Windscribe on 49 mbps
Windscribe off 249 mbps

This normal?

I'm running windows 10 on Virgin media.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello :)

had windscribe pro for couple of weeks now did some speed tests. Connected to London

Windscribe on 49 mbps
Windscribe off 249 mbps

This normal?

I'm running windows 10 on Virgin media.
Not enough info to advise. What protocol are you connecting with? If you haven't already, try WireGuard and IKEv2 (if available, I don't use Windows). What spec is the PC? Wired, I assume? Connect to the 'Custard' server (10Gbps) using WireGuard, and test to a few different servers on speedtest.net (use their app or CLI, not a browser). For reference, I have gigabit FTTP and run Linux and macOS. Windscribe gives me basically my full line speed (minus a couple of megs for overhead).

Back
Top Bottom