Associate
PIA have a good deal on at the moment. From what I’ve read they seem solid.

Tempted to go with them otherwise might just settle and go ExpressVPN.

Soldato
Hi

Is there a way to do this:

- Use a RPi4 which is connected to my company's azure OVPN server.
- enable RPi4 WiFi as an access point.
- connect Xbox series x to RPi4.
- connect to Xbox via the OVPN from a different location (my office)

We basically want to see if we can stream the Xbox to our office 3 miles away... lol

I can't see why this won't work....

maj

maj

Soldato
Currently without an active subscription... I've previously wanted to avoid ones on cashback websites but honestly they'll probably all do what I need at a cheaper price.

Does anyone have any info on Atlas? They are on cashback but don't know much about them. Even their own website doesn't say much about who they are.

Are PIA worth considering even with their shady background? Currently 84% cashback which is the highest of the well known ones. They offer port forwarding too which is nice to have but not essential.

I did go back to Nord for a bit due to 90% cashback at the time but wasn't happy with their service so got a refund.

I was with Surfshark previously and they were ok and have "unlimited connections". Tempted to go back if there's no one else even if cashback is only 42%. They seem to be getting negative feedback on Reddit though.

Trying the free version of Proton at the moment. May consider going with them even with hardly any cashback if they are worth the extra cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently looking for a new VPN. Cancelled ExpressVPN due to their costs and have noticed a lot of folk recommending surfshark on Reddit. However when you go onto their subreddit, it's mostly complaints.

Any more recommendations. It will be for general internet safety, streaming etc.

Soldato
It’s technically not secure, so they don’t do it.
Fair enough. It appears it was heavily abused, Police and IP blacklisting so cut it out. Seems others are removing port forwarding or talk of it too. Just spent an hour or so re-educating myself on P2P as its been some time I've used any of it. I think I'll go Mullvad this time round.

Soldato
Currently looking for a new VPN. Cancelled ExpressVPN due to their costs and have noticed a lot of folk recommending surfshark on Reddit. However when you go onto their subreddit, it's mostly complaints.

Any more recommendations. It will be for general internet safety, streaming etc.
Been with surfshark for over a year now. No real issues, speed is fine, max out my 250mb virgin connection. The only issue every now and then the connection will drop and you need to reconnect but it doesnt happen all that often.

Soldato
Been with surfshark for over a year now. No real issues, speed is fine, max out my 250mb virgin connection. The only issue every now and then the connection will drop and you need to reconnect but it doesnt happen all that often.
Something's not sitting right with them for me. Not sure what it is the PC software is a bloated mess that's always pinging up and never fully closes. Always has something running in the background.

maj

maj

Soldato
Surfshark, unlike Nord, offer Wireguard config files meaning you can download their config files but use the Wireguard Windows client without the need for their own app. Works fine in my experience and uses hardly any resources.

Man of Honour
Surfshark, unlike Nord, offer Wireguard config files meaning you can download their config files but use the Wireguard Windows client without the need for their own app. Works fine in my experience and uses hardly any resources.
I haven’t created a new config with Nord for a while but I’m fairly certain I used a config file which I downloaded from their site.

Soldato
Thats a good point actually. I never thought about that. That may change thinks a little!

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone here who jumps between providers and/or takes the cashback deals. PIA were (fairly) recently bought out by an ad/spyware company. This isn't recent news, but it really has had an impact on the customer service side, so beware! I run self-made VPN on a VPS for most stuff, and bounce between Air, OVPN and Windscribe depending on what I want (privacy or just to stream US Netflix). I grabbed a cheap cashback deal on PIA a couple of years ago, and made sure auto renew was off. I never really used it, but it was so cheap it wasn't worth 'not' getting, at the time. My credit card provider rang me a couple of weeks ago to say that PIA had attempted to take a large charge 11 times overnight, so they've blocked the transactions and my card.

They asked me to speak to PIA and resolve the issue, and the fun and games began. Weeks of tickets, with Chinglish style contradictory replies saying things like 'We can confirm your account isn't set auto-renew, so we won't attempt to charging your card. The multiple charge attempts per day will stop when your account expires, plus an 11 day grace period, so we'll keep attempting to take the money until then'. Wut? Suffice to say it's been a long two weeks, and they've been an absolute pain in the neck.

If you have a PIA account, or any VPN tbh, switch the payment method to a disposable card, or a card with zero funds. I won't be making the mistake of buying them again. There are few reputable suppliers in the industry, and honestly 'deals' are a red flag. The likes of AirVPN, OVPN, Mullvad, IVPN et al. are more expensive for a reason...

maj

maj

Soldato
I haven’t created a new config with Nord for a while but I’m fairly certain I used a config file which I downloaded from their site.
I may have just missed where to find them, I could only find OpenVPN config files. I did find a way of doing it via Linux though.

If they do offer them I'm happy to be corrected :)

Man of Honour
I may have just missed where to find them, I could only find OpenVPN config files. I did find a way of doing it via Linux though.

If they do offer them I'm happy to be corrected :)
I was mistaken, it was an OpenVPN configuration I downloaded, not Wireguard.

Soldato
Just a heads up for anyone here who jumps between providers and/or takes the cashback deals. PIA were (fairly) recently bought out by an ad/spyware company. This isn't recent news, but it really has had an impact on the customer service side, so beware! I run self-made VPN on a VPS for most stuff, and bounce between Air, OVPN and Windscribe depending on what I want (privacy or just to stream US Netflix). I grabbed a cheap cashback deal on PIA a couple of years ago, and made sure auto renew was off. I never really used it, but it was so cheap it wasn't worth 'not' getting, at the time. My credit card provider rang me a couple of weeks ago to say that PIA had attempted to take a large charge 11 times overnight, so they've blocked the transactions and my card.

They asked me to speak to PIA and resolve the issue, and the fun and games began. Weeks of tickets, with Chinglish style contradictory replies saying things like 'We can confirm your account isn't set auto-renew, so we won't attempt to charging your card. The multiple charge attempts per day will stop when your account expires, plus an 11 day grace period, so we'll keep attempting to take the money until then'. Wut? Suffice to say it's been a long two weeks, and they've been an absolute pain in the neck.

If you have a PIA account, or any VPN tbh, switch the payment method to a disposable card, or a card with zero funds. I won't be making the mistake of buying them again. There are few reputable suppliers in the industry, and honestly 'deals' are a red flag. The likes of AirVPN, OVPN, Mullvad, IVPN et al. are more expensive for a reason...
To be fair, I'm having a good bit of back and forth with surfshark. I sent a request for refund and cancelling the auto renew. They said I was eligible to do that but wanted to know why. Gave my reasons and nothing so far after 48hrs.

As you've had a few VPN providers, are there any that has geo unlocking for netflix, good speeds, good rep and secure. Not fussed about port opening.

Associate
which are good providers that give this option currently have cyberghost which is expiring soon

Soldato
As you've had a few VPN providers, are there any that has geo unlocking for netflix, good speeds, good rep and secure. Not fussed about port opening.
AirVPN (most streaming but not BBC, port forwarding), OVPN (most streaming, port forwarding), Windscribe (get a trial and then don't renew, await please come back for $30 - don't pay full price! Has all streaming, port forwarding). Any of those will saturate gigabit with WireGuard.

Back
Top Bottom