Warhammer Total War Confirmed

Soldato
Indeed. Imagine the turn based map being a whole galaxy or something. Would be awesome.

Then because of the massive scale you could have titans and things in the real time battles.

It would work very well in my opinion, if the devs put a good amount of time to make it work. It would definitely drag me into the total war games for the first time.

Soldato
It would work very well in my opinion, if the devs put a good amount of time to make it work. It would definitely drag me into the total war games for the first time.

The whole idea of the total war games is the battles and on the battles seeing the individual units kicking the snot out of each other. This just would not work in 40k, Making it in epic scale just wouldn't be the same in the TW games and would just not have the same feel.

Associate
After Rome II's disappointment, I'll have a look at Attila when its mega cheap on sale. But for Warhammer, unfortunately I share no interest/passion at all for it. I always liked Total War for its historical themes and nuances. Not for me.

Soldato
Agreed. Rome 2 was a huge disappointment and I'd seriously haveto think about whether I'd get this. Will definitely wait for some user feedback first. Sadly their newer titles still can't match the original Rome and Medieval.

Soldato
Part of me can't help but feel this would have been better years ago around the time of Medieval 2.

Recently the Total War games feel like they've sort of outgrown the developers and are getting too big, too detailed, too advanced and too complex for them to really manage properly, resulting in the releases not living up to expectations as they arrive full of bugs, imbalances etc.

Take your typical Total War expectation, add on the appeal of Warhammer to many and I can't help feeling that this will just turn into a massive disappointment for almost everyone involved :(

Associate
I'm just gutted that Relic screwed up the Dawn of War series with DoW 2 - nobody wanted them to move to a crappy small squad RTS with no base building. The whole appeal of the DoW games was the big battles, base building and grand strategy, they just had to go and dumb it down didn't they :(

Ah well, I still play Dawn of War: Soulstorm (with the amazing Ultimate Apocalypse Mod) and Dark Crusade - they are the proper DoW games that I know and love.

Anyway, had to get that out the way, I'll keep an eye on this game - I used to play tabletop Warhammer Fantasy.

Permabanned
Im a huge fan of the lore of 40k, but like everyone has said, it just wouldn't work very well in a total war game. DoW 3 needs to be made for 40k!

It will be interesting what new things they can bring to the table with this, I don't want to be playing what feels like a MoD for Rome 2 with just the units named differently... Give me magic, heroes, dragons and all that entails.

Permabanned
Yeah... dawn of war was a bit terrible :( It was odd to play warhammer with so few pieces... it was just boring.

Company of heroes can be a bit similar... but somehow they did better with a small number of units.

Hopefully this will do the Warhammer bits justice... cinematic trailer is a bit of a waste of time tho :p

Soldato
I'm just gutted that Relic screwed up the Dawn of War series with DoW 2 - nobody wanted them to move to a crappy small squad RTS with no base building. The whole appeal of the DoW games was the big battles, base building and grand strategy, they just had to go and dumb it down didn't they :(

Ah well, I still play Dawn of War: Soulstorm (with the amazing Ultimate Apocalypse Mod) and Dark Crusade - they are the proper DoW games that I know and love.

Anyway, had to get that out the way, I'll keep an eye on this game - I used to play tabletop Warhammer Fantasy.

Completely agree with you, I really didn't like DoW 2 :( I never actually played Soulstorm so I might snag that, last DoW I played was Winter Assault. Can't find my original discs so I might snag the DoW Master Collection.

Permabanned
Yeah... dawn of war was a bit terrible :( It was odd to play warhammer with so few pieces... it was just boring.

I think it worked really well for DoW 1 and the expansions. DoW 2 was trash however, very pretty looking trash.

DoW with the apocalypse mod was incredible. I remember it was me (Space marine) and my mate (also space marine's) against 4 Orc Brutal AI's. It was on a map that was 3 v 3 on a giant road. 4 hours later we were defeated in a monstrous counter attack as we killed one of the orc players ... Glorious. DoW 2 had none of that.... it was awful to have just 4 squads of SMs >_>

Soldato
Yes, I agree with the above. I loved building bases and then rolling out a massive force to take the map, but all that was gone with DOW 2. I know they were looking to make something different, but they went full on "new coke" and ended up losing the thing that people loved about the original.

I keep meaning to find my DOW discs and play it through again, but there's too many other games on my HD waiting to be played.

Soldato
The whole idea of the total war games is the battles and on the battles seeing the individual units kicking the snot out of each other.

Is it? Please tell me I'm not the only person that only plays the campaign map? I mean, the RTS bit looks pretty and all, but turn based campaign is what it's all about for me :)

Associate
Completely agree with you, I really didn't like DoW 2 :( I never actually played Soulstorm so I might snag that, last DoW I played was Winter Assault. Can't find my original discs so I might snag the DoW Master Collection.

Soulstorm is great, worth it just for getting the Ultimate Apocalypse Mod (one of the best mods I've ever downloaded for any game). As far as just the base games go however, I'd say Dark Crusade was my favourite :)

I think it worked really well for DoW 1 and the expansions. DoW 2 was trash however, very pretty looking trash.

DoW with the apocalypse mod was incredible. I remember it was me (Space marine) and my mate (also space marine's) against 4 Orc Brutal AI's. It was on a map that was 3 v 3 on a giant road. 4 hours later we were defeated in a monstrous counter attack as we killed one of the orc players ... Glorious. DoW 2 had none of that.... it was awful to have just 4 squads of SMs >_>

Yep, why on Earth they thought moving to the DoW2 style of RTS was a good idea I'll never know.

And the Ultimate Apocalypse Mod is incredible indeed, it is still being developed and the next grand release (with 2 new factions to play as) of it is soon :)

Yes, I agree with the above. I loved building bases and then rolling out a massive force to take the map...

Indeed, that was the true DoW experience - shame they had to dumb it all down to a couple of squads with no grand strategy and no base building.

It would've been epic if Relic had released another DoW in a similar style to the first ones but with modern graphics. Probably won't happen now that they are a subsidiary of Sega...

Back
Top Bottom