Water Bill - Anyone beat this?

Man of Honour
You'd think the system would notify them before sending out a 2 million litre bill but it was us who had to chase them up

Don't be silly that would mean people having to be competent at their job and actually doing some work... instead of dossing about and making it someone else's problem :s

Soldato
We didn't have a meter when we moved to this house in 2018. The monthly cost was £55ish and I was sceptical about switching to a meter.

We've never even got close to that with a meter. Even at the height of summer when we're filling paddling pools, washing cars and watering plants, the most we have paid is £41.

Soldato
I asked to be switched to a meter.

E: Although, thinking about it, if you can get away with paying less to the companies that have been using water as a cash cow at all of our expense then go for it.
Every time i fill in the questionnaire it says id be paying more. Im not going to choose to pay more.

Associate
Every time i fill in the questionnaire it says id be paying more. Im not going to choose to pay more.
You can have a meter fitted then have a year to decide on whether your usage is going to mean you pay more or less than you have been.

Soldato
That's fair enough. I can't blame anyone for not actively making themselves worse off.

Depends on the household I guess. Before I did it I think the estimate was about the same but it's changed my habits a little and it's now cheaper and less wasteful.

Obviously that wouldn't be the case for everyone though.

And, yes, I still shower everyday :)

Associate
Stuck on rates as we’re on a shared water main buried below the basement that UU can’t find, so nowhere to install a meter. Paying £68 a month currently..

Associate
Where? No one can find the pipes! We’ve had UU in twice but it’s all buried deep under the basement or in walls.
You must have an infeed pipe in the property itself with a stop tap. My mums meter was in the kitchen (council flat).

Soldato
I'm starting to believe my meter has been doctored -- some of the numbers in here are absolutely nuts??
Some people just use astronomical amounts of water.

If you've ever seen those adverts from water companies reminding you that you don't need to take 45 minute showers etc. and thought "well, yeah, obviously", now you know why those messages go out :p

Associate
You must have an infeed pipe in the property itself with a stop tap. My mums meter was in the kitchen (council flat).

Nope. Looked everywhere! Best we can find is a lead pipe coming up to the kitchen sink but it feeds the sink only.

My ex mother in law would have the tap running practically all the time she was in the kitchen, effectively couldn't be arsed to turn the tap on and off.
Used crazy amounts of water and would often say no way I am going on a meter would cost me loads.

Just typical of many that age, I have always done this I am not stopping now type mindset.

Soldato
As most of you bill will probably be the waste treatment try to stop letting water simply flow down the drain. Down to £12 per month but only me here currently.
How does that work?
My water bill is made up of exactly half of it as used and the other half as sewerage treatment or whatever they call it to take it away via drains. It raises a question I never thought about before...they can't measure how much goes back down the drain can they so... What if one uses loads of water to fill a million bottles, but then takes the bottles and drains them in the sea? Am I being stupid? It is early.

Back
Top Bottom