Water Bill - Anyone beat this?

Associate
Nope. Looked everywhere! Best we can find is a lead pipe coming up to the kitchen sink but it feeds the sink only.
What sort of property? We were on a shared supply to 2 semi detached houses and we had to have a new pipe layed to the house.

Last edited:
Associate
How does that work?
My water bill is made up of exactly half of it as used and the other half as sewerage treatment or whatever they call it to take it away via drains. It raises a question I never thought about before...they can't measure how much goes back down the drain can they so... What if one uses loads of water to fill a million bottles, but then takes the bottles and drains them in the sea? Am I being stupid? It is early.
I think they go on a percentage of the water that is supplied.

Soldato
How does that work?
My water bill is made up of exactly half of it as used and the other half as sewerage treatment or whatever they call it to take it away via drains. It raises a question I never thought about before...they can't measure how much goes back down the drain can they so... What if one uses loads of water to fill a million bottles, but then takes the bottles and drains them in the sea? Am I being stupid? It is early.
Your wastewater bill is an assumption based on how much water provided to you is expected to end up in the foul sewer.

You can often get rebates on the wastewater bill if you have arrangements that would result in less water entering the sewer than might be typical.

Soldato
Water supply only (no wastewater charge), on a meter, 3 adults

Last 2 bills where:

Aug 22 to Feb 23 - £140 (used 84 cubic meters)
Mar 23 to Sep 23 - £165 (used 91 cubic meters)

So about £25.41 per month

Last edited:
Don
OP
Well these numbers make me a little sad. We got a new oil boiler a couple of years ago and it from then our bills slowly started rising. We have checked everywhere for a leak and can't find one.

I think we do use a fair whack of water, especially in summer as we have a large garden but I'd guess at a bill of £50. £75 p/m is just mad for how often we all have showers, we avg a couple of baths a month!

Soldato
Well these numbers make me a little sad. We got a new oil boiler a couple of years ago and it from then our bills slowly started rising. We have checked everywhere for a leak and can't find one.

I think we do use a fair whack of water, especially in summer as we have a large garden but I'd guess at a bill of £50. £75 p/m is just mad for how often we all have showers, we avg a couple of baths a month!
You said 193m3 'this year' - how many days is that usage actually over?

Soldato
I think it's March to March, they calculate, so it'll have been from Feb 2023 - Feb 2024 that we've used that amount.
If that's over a whole year, it's not desperately high for a family of 6 - you'll never be seeing the sort of bills 2 or 3 person households get. Your provider is probably on the more expensive end of the suppliers too.

Soldato
I'm on my 2nd meter in 4 years as the first one stopped. Water comp tried to charge me a "typical" property for the year they reckon the old one was faulty for. I'm not sure the 2nd meter is any better as the standing charge makes up 72% of the bill, not the usage. I've supposedly used 14m3 in a year.

Associate
Our wastage is 3x the price of water in. I am guessing Cornwall isn't fun for creaking old infrastructure and population density vs. pipework and drainage systems.

Soldato
It's seemingly random I find. I pay for £39 for a family of 4 and I'd say we use above average water. Multiple showers a day etc. Some guys in work pay above £50 and there's only 2 of them in the house. No idea.

Soldato
We had a meter installed in 2022 shortly after we moved in but I swear it must be broken as our D/D is £5 per month in, £12 per month out for 2 adults & a toddler.

Mine is £80 per month.

I'm not on a meter though and pay as per table value.

There is only 3 of us, and I don't think we are abnormal for water use.

I'm tempted to get a water meter but always think what if we do use a lot of water and I end up paying much more.. and once I've switched I can't unswitch.

Which part of Essex are you in? I'm sure the letter that confirmed the installation of ours said that we had 2 years to change our minds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom