Watercooled Case Gallery

Soldato
Made a couple changes and was impressed with the results. (Still need to cable manage at some point).

Switched to the Iceman direct die cpu block. 31c improvement on some cores. Highest core was in the sub 70s at 340W Cinebench.

Also had to RMA gpus and went with a Heatkiller block. Quality on this is solid. Came with precut pads and gave me a 4c improvement over my EK block. Impressive when it costs slightly less.

1.jpg
IMG-2237-1.jpg
IMG-2238.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Had this build for a bit before the Meshroom S.

Unfortunately had to return it due to a dodgy riser cable, then it was out of stock.

Felt like a successor to the Ghost S1 in many ways.
Would they not just send a new riser out? That sucks. I do like your current build though, and I agree that the heatkiller blocks are really good.

Soldato
Made a couple changes and was impressed with the results. (Still need to cable manage at some point).

Switched to the Iceman direct die cpu block. 31c improvement on some cores. Highest core was in the sub 70s at 340W Cinebench.

Also had to RMA gpus and went with a Heatkiller block. Quality on this is solid. Came with precut pads and gave me a 4c improvement over my EK block. Impressive when it costs slightly less.

1.jpg
IMG-2237-1.jpg
IMG-2238.jpg

Does the heatkiller block come with metal washers or plastic ones, was that ever fixed/changed since the reviews?

Soldato
Does the heatkiller block come with metal washers or plastic ones, was that ever fixed/changed since the reviews?
Metal washers with foam on one side. Mine is a Strix though.

I think that was only an issue with the FE cards that had a plastic clip interfering with washers ? I rememeber Igors lab or someone said Heatkiller acknowledged it.

Soldato
Metal washers with foam on one side. Mine is a Strix though.

I think that was only an issue with the FE cards that had a plastic clip interfering with washers ? I rememeber Igors lab or someone said Heatkiller acknowledged it.

Yeah it was for the FE cards, i wasn't aware if it affected any other brands. It's probably one of the only things stopping me from getting this block right now for my FE card. There doesn't seem to be any mention of a revision for this block for the FE cards.

Soldato
Soldato

Thanks for linking them, was wondering hat size to get tbh. Saved me some leg work.

I guess the only thing left to do is to buy the block at some point now. It looks great btw, really love what they've done with this block.

Soldato
Thanks for linking them, was wondering hat size to get tbh. Saved me some leg work.

I guess the only thing left to do is to buy the block at some point now. It looks great btw, really love what they've done with this block.
Careful I just linked a UK seller selling the type of washer needed, not the actual size.

Soldato
Here are the fixings from my as yet unmounted Heatkiller V Pro 4090 FE block. Included was a note to remind you of how the washers are fitted.

embed

Do we think the insulated fibre washers are still required?

Soldato
Here are the fixings from my as yet unmounted Heatkiller V Pro 4090 FE block. Included was a note to remind you of how the washers are fitted.

embed

Do we think the insulated fibre washers are still required?

It should be fine, from my understanding it was the metal washers if not centred correctly before tightening down it would cause the washer to push against the black plastic guides. This in turn can cause them to come away from the pcb since they’re only glued on and according to Nvidia, warranty is void if they come off.

Soldato
It should be fine, from my understanding it was the metal washers if not centred correctly before tightening down it would cause the washer to push against the black plastic guides. This in turn can cause them to come away from the pcb since they’re only glued on and according to Nvidia, warranty is void if they come off.

Cool thanks, I'll take care when fitting the block, it's a heavy lump of metal.

Soldato
Cool thanks, I'll take care when fitting the block, it's a heavy lump of metal.

Assuming your card is a FE Card.

Infact, let me know when you take your card apart if the plastic guides are present. I've seen some builds and disassembly where the guides are not present, so not sure if they just removed them anyway or if Nvidia made some changes/revisions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming your card is a FE Card.

Infact, let me know when you take your card apart if the plastic guides are present. I've seen some builds and disassembly where the guides are not present, so not sure if they just removed them anyway or if Nvidia made some changes/revisions.

Yes, it's an FE and I'll share post here if the guides are present or not. I think the card and waterblock are going to look awesome when fitted, just need to get round to it!

Associate

I spent last evening doing the nerve wracking job of fitting my Heatkiller block to my 4090 FE. Pretty straightforward in actual fact. I used the barely adequate instructions from Watercool and at the same time followed a Youtube video from a channel called Vector Network. The video showed a PCB minus the semi circular plastic guides but mine did have them. I didn't encounter the problem referred to in the Igor's Lab article. The washers were a good fit around the screw and in the channel created by the plastic guides. The guides didn't show any signs of being dislodged as I tightened the screws down. The video also had a couple of the smaller thermal pads missing but I followed the Watercool diagram exactly and put every pad in the place shown on it.

Feeling slightly paranoid this morning that there might have been a protective film on the block that I've failed to remove but I don't think there was one and certainly the Watercool instructions make no mention of one.

Associate

Feeling slightly paranoid this morning that there might have been a protective film on the block that I've failed to remove but I don't think there was one and certainly the Watercool instructions make no mention of one.

It's easy enough to pop the block off and check now, before you put it into your system. Unless it is already in!

I'd do so for peace of mind, and it's a good opportunity to see if the paste has spread out nicely.

Back
Top Bottom