Watercooled Case Gallery

Associate
£237 so possibly cheaper than EK for an equivalent - I've reached the point in this build where I'm just saying "it's only money". Still a bit shaky from tearing apart a £1500 graphics card last night :eek:

I think I'll just play it safe and check :)

Soldato
Christ on a bike.

I remember the good old days of swiftech GPU blocks but then I say old then realise I mean nearly 20 years ago.

I suppose it makes sense for a £1500 card to have a block costing 15% of the card.. seems mental to me!

I want to say I was well under £100 for the Bykski block on my 3080 FE... I could be wrong!

Permabanned
Completed my small upgrade a week ago. :)

New XSPC Twin D5 Top/Res combo - Lucky find
Alphacool Water block for Sapphire 7900XTX Nitro+
Clear Coolant by Aquacomputer DP Protect - Flushed out Mayhems X1 Red
Waiting on a Aquacomputer filter to add into the external rad setup.

YsAnFsp.jpg

1hTJC5O.jpg

jdyeE7D.jpg

rzklC6T.jpg

7SmTXhh.jpg
I do rather rate BeQuiet fans for their price! Nice setup btw, looks crazy!

Soldato
There are still relatively cheap options out there. Barrow 4090 blocks go for £120 and perform better than the EK.

Checked my account history and a 4870X2 block back in 2009 cost £86.

Last edited:
Soldato

I spent last evening doing the nerve wracking job of fitting my Heatkiller block to my 4090 FE. Pretty straightforward in actual fact. I used the barely adequate instructions from Watercool and at the same time followed a Youtube video from a channel called Vector Network. The video showed a PCB minus the semi circular plastic guides but mine did have them. I didn't encounter the problem referred to in the Igor's Lab article. The washers were a good fit around the screw and in the channel created by the plastic guides. The guides didn't show any signs of being dislodged as I tightened the screws down. The video also had a couple of the smaller thermal pads missing but I followed the Watercool diagram exactly and put every pad in the place shown on it.

Feeling slightly paranoid this morning that there might have been a protective film on the block that I've failed to remove but I don't think there was one and certainly the Watercool instructions make no mention of one.

I've still to do my block as I have to strip down the pc which I'm using on air at the moment.

What fittings do you think are best with this block? I always like nickel/chrome but perhaps black would be better considering where the fittings attach to.

Associate
I've still to do my block as I have to strip down the pc which I'm using on air at the moment.

What fittings do you think are best with this block? I always like nickel/chrome but perhaps black would be better considering where the fittings attach to.
I haven't decided yet! I'm using the new black Lian Li Evo XL case and non-rgb Be Quiet! Silent Wings Pro 4 fans. So there's going to be a lot of black with accents of raw metal. I was thinking nickel or chrome but as to brand that's still up in the air. I see that people on the forum think quite highly of the Barrow fittings - as good as/better than EK but cheaper?

Soldato
I've no experience of Barrow fittings or any others as my previous builds have been with 10mm copper pipe which use completely different fittings. This time I'm going with 12mm clear tubing and have narrowed it down to Phanteks 90 degree rotary fittings for the GPU block in either chrome or black - these are quite expensive so not buying both to decide later! The CPU fittings will be chrome to match the EK Velocity2 block.
It's all being crammed in a Phanteks Evolv Shift XT so space is at a premium.

Back
Top Bottom