What book are you reading...

Soldato
Still reading through the Wandering Inn books by Pirateaba. I'm on book 9, The Tears of Liscor.

As the series has gone on, the writing has improved and so has the story telling. The author is definitely honing her craft as time goes on. There are lots of flaws in these books and lots of annoyances but despite these issues the books are so engrossing. I have been unable to stop reading them, so far, each book has improved on the last. There is a lot of reading in these books, they are long, really long. Just something you should know in case you are thinking of starting the Wandering Inn.

Also, I said the Author is Honing her craft. But I am not sure if the author is male or female. But I think the author is female just on the way she writes.

Associate
Working my way through a re-read of Tom Clancy's books - on Red Rabbit at the moment. Then got to decide whether to read any of the following books which were written by others after Clancy's death.

Associate
Reading the first Jack Reacher book (Killing Floor), just got done with the TV series so wanted to read the books. Seems good so far.

Commissario
I'm just finishing off "Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham which as the name suggests is about what happened at Chernobyl, and covers not just the accident, but a brief history of the Russian nuclear program, the building of the reactors/town and what happened afterwards.

It's taken me over 3 years to get round to it, but once I got stuck in it's proven really good, lots of information including stuff I don't ever remember hearing about before, and an epilogue covering what happened to a large number of the people involved.
I hadn't ever registered quite how many accidents they'd had, despite all the jokes in my gaming group about Russian subs with their self launching reactors, and IIRC at one point in the book there is a reference to an ex naval reactor guy's first reaction to the reactor controls and it basically boils down to "this is even worse than we had in the subs".

Next up is a book on the history of science fiction radio, film and TV.

Man of Honour
Working my way through a re-read of Tom Clancy's books - on Red Rabbit at the moment. Then got to decide whether to read any of the following books which were written by others after Clancy's death.

I know what you mean; I've always felt they were never as good after his death; although I have to admit I don't think a lot of Clancy's later stuff was anywhere near as good as the original lot of "Jack Ryan" novels and Red Storm Rising (still my favourite book ever I think!)
I'm just finishing off "Midnight in Chernobyl" by Adam Higginbotham which as the name suggests is about what happened at Chernobyl, and covers not just the accident, but a brief history of the Russian nuclear program, the building of the reactors/town and what happened afterwards.

It's taken me over 3 years to get round to it, but once I got stuck in it's proven really good, lots of information including stuff I don't ever remember hearing about before, and an epilogue covering what happened to a large number of the people involved.
I hadn't ever registered quite how many accidents they'd had, despite all the jokes in my gaming group about Russian subs with their self launching reactors, and IIRC at one point in the book there is a reference to an ex naval reactor guy's first reaction to the reactor controls and it basically boils down to "this is even worse than we had in the subs".

Next up is a book on the history of science fiction radio, film and TV.

Just reminded me I've got this to read; picked it up around about the time Chernobyl was on Sky but never read it!!!

Man of Honour
I don't know if its the current climate or what but I've been reading a few books about the Cold War and UK nuclear response; just finished Attack, Warning Red which went into a fair amount of depth about how the UK would have responded to a nuclear strike with Civil Defence, etc - of course in hindsight most of it was for morale rather than actually being expected to survive.

Also started reading a few books about the Troubles since I've spent a bit of time in Belfast with work; currently reading Killing Thatcher about the Brighton Bombing of the Tory Conference.

Soldato
The first Bosch book by Michael Connolly. got the first three for 99p. Might end up reading the whole series at this rate!
I have his whole catalogue on my pc, currently reading them all in order, just started The Closers, think its book 14 iirc.
Some books are better than others, but imo none of them have been bad.

Soldato
I know what you mean; I've always felt they were never as good after his death; although I have to admit I don't think a lot of Clancy's later stuff was anywhere near as good as the original lot of "Jack Ryan" novels and Red Storm Rising (still my favourite book ever I think!)
Fully agree, his earlier stuff was much better, i think it was The Bear and the Dragon that eventually put me off Clancy

Man of Honour
Fully agree, his earlier stuff was much better, i think it was The Bear and the Dragon that eventually put me off Clancy

Yeah I'd have to agree I think The Bear and the Dragon was the break point for me as well; I think I've just about exhausted most of the decent Cold War type WW3 novels by decent authors these days - a lot of the new stuff is just absolute rubbish.

Soldato
Yeah I'd have to agree I think The Bear and the Dragon was the break point for me as well; I think I've just about exhausted most of the decent Cold War type WW3 novels by decent authors these days - a lot of the new stuff is just absolute rubbish.
Have you tried any books from Eric L Harry?
In the same vain as Clancy, but from memory i did enjoy them

Associate
Just finished Malorie by Josh Malerman. It's the sequel to Bird Box (which I really enjoyed). Despite the ending seeming a bit rushed, I thought it was a decent enough read. Would have loved more clarity and answers surrounding the 'creatures' though.

Soldato
After watching the TV series, started reading the Silo trilogy by Hugh Howey.

Currentlly just over half way through Book One (Wool) and have to say things move at a much quicker pace than the show. In fact the show seems to have been needlessly padded to end on when Juliette
is banished from the silo and refuses to clean. In fact she barely serves any time at all as Sherriff before being kicked out and none of the antics in the levels below Mechanical feature at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone subscribe to the book summary services? They're for non-fiction mainly. I've read a few that I'd like to be able to go over the general concepts and learnings, without having to listen through the whole book again. Can anyone recommend which ones are better? (eg Headway or Blinkist)

**ADD** In googling which are best, 'm trying the free StoryShots for now.

Back
Top Bottom