What book are you reading...

Soldato
I just finished The Queen Of Air And Darkness, by Poul Anderson. 50s/60s scifi short stories.

One of the six stories was good, the others were either passable or annoying. It suffered from the 50s/60s cold war style, where the humans/ goodies were better in every respect than their opponents. That gets a bit tedious as it robs the story of suspense.

Soldato
My Effin' Life by Geddy Lee. Only about 6 chapters in but enjoying it. Heartbreaking to read the chapter about his parents and the camps they were in during WWII, something we should never ever forget.

Associate
The Expanse books 7,8 and 9 after watching the TV series decided to find out what happened after season 6 , have not read books 1-6 and dont think i will bother as i thought books 7 & 8 where ok but not book 9 his writing style is not for me.
would be good if they ever did film them though.

on another note noticed they are going to film Robert McCammon's Swan Song one of my favourite books.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The Expanse books 7,8 and 9 after watching the TV series decided to find out what happened after season 6 , have not read books 1-6 and dont think i will bother as i thought books 7 & 8 where ok but not book 9 his writing style is not for me.

Their style. It's two writers writing under one name.

I'm re-reading Robin Hobb from the beginning. I recently read her latest set which finishes off both Rain Wild and Fitz story lines, but the constant mentions of earlier stuff made me read them again because it's about ten years since I read them the first time and I've forgotten most of it. I know her style is not to the liking of some here, but I'd say she is one of the three or four best writers in Fantasy.

Associate

I'm re-reading Robin Hobb from the beginning. I recently read her latest set which finishes off both Rain Wild and Fitz story lines, but the constant mentions of earlier stuff made me read them again because it's about ten years since I read them the first time and I've forgotten most of it. I know her style is not to the liking of some here, but I'd say she is one of the three or four best writers in Fantasy.

learned two things there , one about the expanse being written by two writers and Robin Hobb being a women , thought it was a bloke :)
The Liveship Traders is one of my favourite trilogies.

Last edited:
Associate

I've yet to read anything by Robin Hobb, but once I finish the wheel of time series I plan to read pretty much the entire Hobb back catalogue.

Soldato
Just finished Legends and Latte's by Travis Baldree.
Its not my usual type of fantasy, but I quite enjoyed it.
It's about an Orc who opens a coffee shop, and her trials and tribulations.
No action so to speak, but an enjoyable read nonetheless

Associate
Reading Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo. The first 20% of the book was hard work, it felt like I had missed a large section of the plot, not quite understanding what I was reading. But slowly the world is taking shape and I am really enjoying it.

The premise is that Yale was founded and run by secret societies who have access to magic. After a few accidents, Lethe was founded to police and assist in rituals. Lethe selects potential Yale students and offers them scholarships in return for work. Alex is unique in that she can see ghosts, but in every other way would be unsuitable for Yale and Lethe, and as usual things go awry.

The world building in the book is intriguing and hopefully has a decent conclusion.

Edit.. finished the book and would recommend it. It does end setting up the next in series with an Eastenders doof doof note, but otherwise enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just finished A Forger's Tale, by Shaun Greenhalgh. He faked works of art (paintings, sculptures etc) and scammed bolton museum out of £400k for one item.

It was pretty poor. Most of the book was him.claiming he never intended to scam people, and it was their own fault anyway for not spotting the "deliberate mistakes" he had included. Hmm.

Soldato
Just finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time trilogy.

I'll put it in the good, but not great, category. It's not really a trilogy at all tbh, just three books set in the same universe. I like his ideas and overall enjoyed it, but I wouldn't go back and re-read any of it like I would Ian M Banks novels.

Starting his Lords of Uncreation trilogy now, quite different.

Caporegime
Back to 40k, discovered there was a different Inquisition trilogy that I haven't read, Vaults of Terra. Interesting to see an author that isn't Abnett take them on. Chris Wraight is another of the 40k authors that I quite like and his take on the Inquisition is really good too, maybe a little more plot focussed than Abnett, it moves along at quite a pace but I enjoyed the first one. I think it did a great job at describing Terra and the different parts of it.

Soldato
Back to 40k, discovered there was a different Inquisition trilogy that I haven't read, Vaults of Terra. Interesting to see an author that isn't Abnett take them on. Chris Wraight is another of the 40k authors that I quite like and his take on the Inquisition is really good too, maybe a little more plot focussed than Abnett, it moves along at quite a pace but I enjoyed the first one. I think it did a great job at describing Terra and the different parts of it.
Are these any good?
Despite my being an avid fantasy fan, I have never heard of this series of books lol

Soldato
Just finished Legends and Latte's by Travis Baldree.
Its not my usual type of fantasy, but I quite enjoyed it.
It's about an Orc who opens a coffee shop, and her trials and tribulations.
No action so to speak, but an enjoyable read nonetheless

That book is on my short list. Was deciding between it and the Wandering Inn and went with the Wandering Inn at the time. Which I am really enjoying.

Good to hear that Legend's and Latte's is an enjoyable read. Might take a break from the Wandering Inn books and give it a read.

Back
Top Bottom