What book are you reading...

Soldato
I picked up Sarum by Edward Rutherford recently, having loved Ken Follett's Kingsbridge series (bar the most recent book, The Armour of Light, which I really didn't enjoy). It's really interesting, but nowhere near as engaging as Follet's books. I got to the bit where they finish building Stonehenge and put it down for now as I felt my lack of interest was preventing me enjoying reading. I read loads, so when something is preventing me reading I drop it. I do intend to give it another go some time in the future though, and it was only £2.99 on the Kindle store.

I'm reading Sword Catcher by Cassandra Clare now. I'm about a chapter in, but it seems good.

I read fantasy almost exclusively (Follet and Rutherford are real exceptions for me), so back to it I think :)

I saw a couple of you discussing Robin Hobb's books above. She's definitely my favourite author and I think that those books are incredible. I have to say, though, I found the series with Fitz and Bee a bit disappointing. They didn't quite have the bite that the other series had.

Her Soldier Son Trilogy is fantastic, by the way. It's not really set in the World of the Elderlings, so it's a bit different, but I remember it being so magical and wonderful. In fact, worth a re-read about 15 years later!

Soldato
Just finished reading Shift by Hugh Howey, which is the second book in the Silo trilogy.

Primarily a prequel to the first book Wool, essentially a collection of story threads over a 300 year timespan which gives pretty much all the background to how and why the Silos came to be.

I particularly liked Jimmy/Solo's back story.
Had a genuine tear in my eye and lump in my throat when I came to the section where he has to bury the cat Shadow, who he found as a stray in the Silo and became his companion for many years. Very poignantly written as the death isn't referenced directly, just the fact Jimmy is carrying a bundle up to bury in the farm and the penny dropped (after reading the section a few times) this was his beloved cat. Very poignant, the more so because you realise Jimmy then has to spend another 18 years utterly alone before Juliette enters Silo 17

I think this is definitely a book which will benefit from a re-read in a few months time along with the others and not a chance of hell in it ending up at a charity shop. Five star ***** recommended.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just finished Longbow: A Social and Military History, by Robert Hardy. This book was seen as the definitive history at one point.

It was hard going but, like all such books, filled with interesting nuggets.

The sheer scale of the manufacture, logistics and money involved in securing bows and arrows for the invasions of France was staggering.

Hardy estimates up to half a million arrows were used at Agincourt. That's within a few hours, and is literally tonnes of wood. Terrifying stuff!

Associate
Firestarter by Stephen King. A third of the way through and enjoying it very much.

Chipping away at Wheel of Time 13. Been a bit busy so it’s a chapter here and there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Almost finished book 4 of the Wheel of Time - The Shadow Rising. Very good , the tv show doesn't do the story or characters justice at all.
A bit late to this, but I hope you enjoyed it. TSR is one of thr best in the series - actually the whole arc from midway through TDR to the end of LoC is absolutely amazing.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
I just finished Shuggie Bain, by Douglas Stuart.

It's a serious literary book and won the Booker Prize.

It's also very bleak, from beginning to end. Only recommended if you like depressing books about a young boy watching his mother spiral into alcoholism and, finally, death while everyone he loves betrays or leaves him.

Soldato
Finally finished the Hugh Howey Silo trilogy.

Very satisfying and all but a handful of the mystique behind the silos very well explained.

Will probably read again later in the year as I did skim some of the chapters so keen was I to see where the story led.

Just a shame the TV series only covered half of Book One and seemed to go off at all sort of tangents that weren't even a part of the actual story.

Anyhow moving on now to Bernard Cornwell and some historical drama, this time his Grail series and the exploits of master archer, Thomas of Hookton. Though it has to be said most of his protaganists follow a very similar pattern, be they Sharpe, Uhtred, Derfel or Tommy boy.

Soldato
Finally finished the Hugh Howey Silo trilogy.
I've been looking at these on Audible and I'm a little confused if I'm honest as there look to be many versions called Silo. What order is the trilogy? Audible suggests it's Silo -> Level -> Exit? Looking at a Reddit thread there are two called Dust and Shift though???

EDIT - Is it this

Last edited:
Associate
I've been looking at these on Audible and I'm a little confused if I'm honest as there look to be many versions called Silo. What order is the trilogy? Audible suggests it's Silo -> Level -> Exit? Looking at a Reddit thread there are two called Dust and Shift though???

EDIT - Is it this
So the actual trilogy is:

Wool - Book 1
Shift - Book 2
Dust - Book 3

The link you have seems to be just stories of the silo so maybe extending a characters history or a side story, when I read the Wool trilogy, I read the three listed above, these are the main trilogy books.

Looking at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_(series) it seems there are more than 6 books but have only read the main trilogy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
Finished Adrian Tchaikovsky's Children of Time trilogy recently. Lots of really cool ideas but the books don't really link together into a cohesive trilogy. Enjoyable though.

Just finished the second in his Lords of Uncreation trilogy which is MUCH better, proper space opera stuff, an overriding narrative holding the boots together.

Going to take a break before the third and read Asimov's Foundation instead, as I don't get on with the over-earnestness of the TV show but like the story.

Caporegime
Finished the Vaults of Terra trilogy, a pretty good inquisition series. The last book was a little slow paced but the final third made up for it. Chris Wraight is a pretty good author, his descriptions of the Dark Eldar and the webway were excellent.

Now starting Siege of Terra the final 10 books of the Horus Heresy now that the final one is out. The first book The Solar War is by the excellent John French so high hopes.

Back
Top Bottom