What book are you reading...

Soldato
I've been looking at these on Audible and I'm a little confused if I'm honest as there look to be many versions called Silo. What order is the trilogy? Audible suggests it's Silo -> Level -> Exit? Looking at a Reddit thread there are two called Dust and Shift though???

EDIT - Is it this
Was only aware of the three books which follow on from each other, Wool, Shift then Dust.

Associate
With the 80th anniversary of the Normandy landings coming up, i am reading normandy 44, d day and the battle for france by james holland, has a special place for the family as my Granda was an engineer on the day and till the wars end.

Soldato
Reading through the Fletch series of books atm, quite enjoying them, but Fletch is a much bigger **** in the books than he is in the films!
That said, it might just have been Chevy Chase's charm that masked it a bit. 11 books though, so plenty to keep me occupied.
It's a good fallback series for when I need something to read and I can't be bothered to seek out something completely new.

Soldato
Currently about 100 pages into The Wandering Inn by Pirateaba.
Its not really grabbing me so far, will give it a little longer but it looks like a dnf (did not finish) to me.

Soldato
That book is on my short list. Was deciding between it and the Wandering Inn and went with the Wandering Inn at the time. Which I am really enjoying.

Good to hear that Legend's and Latte's is an enjoyable read. Might take a break from the Wandering Inn books and give it a read.
I am just at the part where she first enters the city and is being ripped off buying food supplies at the market.
Does it get better? As so far its just not holding my interest.

Soldato
Disapora by Greg Egan, it's interesting but hard going at times, once finished I'm going to start the Painted Man series by Peter V Brett as I now own all five in the set.

Soldato
I am just at the part where she first enters the city and is being ripped off buying food supplies at the market.
Does it get better? As so far its just not holding my interest.

Sorry, forgot to reply to this. Yeah, I get that. It's so slow to start with and the first book isn't edited very well either. Add to those two things and the fact that there is a lot of filler, plus characters that are extremely annoying at times and completely unlikeable at others, can make it a difficult book to get into.

Not sure how to advise you here. If you really don't like what you are reading, then stop, the Wandering Inn isn't for everyone. However, I would suggest you try to finish the first book at least before making a call. The world is immense and when the story starts to open up, the books really start to shine. There is always the annoying bits though, but there is so much else going on that you can just skim past these parts.

If it hasn't grabbed you, or at least shown you a hint of potential by the end of book 1, move on to something else. I can totally understand why people wouldn't like books. For me, even with the all the things that annoy me about the books, I still can't put them down. I am totally addicted to finding out what happens next. Where the story is going to go. Why is the world the way it is? In What way are Earth and this world connected?

Associate
Just finished "The Bands of Mourning". Book 3 of the second age of Mistborn. Now reading "Mistborn Secret History" (as recommended by Sanderson) before I start book 4.

I've just started The Bands of Mourning. I read the mistborn trilogy in no time at all but this series seems to have taken me ages, been struggling to read due to other time constraints, it seems to have finally clicked recently and I'm really enjoying it.

Do you read all of Sanderson's books? I've got a few to catch up on now.

Soldato
Lee Child’s “The Affair’. One of Jack Recher books.
I have been reading these books in the written order. I wouldn’t call it a masterpiece:) but gets my mind away from for a period of time. Sometime the author just goes in to some unnecessary level detail in to the most mundane things - must have had a minimum word limit or something :)

Soldato
I've just started The Bands of Mourning. I read the mistborn trilogy in no time at all but this series seems to have taken me ages, been struggling to read due to other time constraints, it seems to have finally clicked recently and I'm really enjoying it.

Do you read all of Sanderson's books? I've got a few to catch up on now.
I like Sanderson and have read a lot of his stuff but I only liked to read completed series. As I'm sure you're aware, Sanderson tends to flit about so there's a lot of waiting involved.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Just finished Fires of Heaven and started book 6 of the Wheels of time -Lord of Chaos. Can't put it down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom