What did *you* do to get your promotion?

Soldato
Early in my career promotion was easy, just outperform everyone by a mile, show up to performance review with a stack of paperwork to justify a promotion, job done. Went from junior to principal under 10 years doing this. Now I kinda couldn't care less about more promotions, the extra money isn't worth the extra responsibility, so I don't really try, and I'm kinda jaded about employment in general anyway coz the real wealth goes to the owners not you.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair I got a decent bump a year or two ago which probably put me in the ballpark of the next level up, but it's the fact that my CV says I've been in this role/level for 9 years without promotion that is starting to reflect badly.

Got caught out by this applying for new jobs when I was in one for 10 years. Without my job title changing throughout those 10 years, recruiters were asking questions seeing it as an red flag.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Can I reverse the question? Why do you want to be promoted?
To manage/lead people? To get more money? to get more responsibility? to get a better job title?
A few thoughts off the top of my head... Because my role has changed vastly from what it was when I joined. I was doing noddy bread and butter work supporting my manager over here and taking workload off of him. I now do much more off my own back, have implemented processes, support other departments over here (for my dotted line manager over here) and built great relationships with the people/vendors that we work with over here. On top of that I've helped migrate our day to day 'noddy' work (basically managing content for people to review/approve worldwide) from one platform we started with, to another, and we're just going through another migration. Because of COVID our userbase jumped from approx 5,000 people to over 20,000 and also the migration from one platform to another meant we ended up doing first line support as opposed to the vendor doing it (as discussed in my other thread). COVID also had a big effect on the other part of my role which is supporting projects we have based over here and enabling people to securely WFH which is incredibly complicated when it comes to media transport and security. I'd like to eventually manage people, to take some of the noddy work away, I'd obviously like more money and responsibility but right now it really is the job title that is worrying me. I think half my problem is that I've just grown naturally with the role, and expanded the role. So there's no clear cut I've done XYZ.

Job titles has never been a factor for me, I've been with enough companys and seen the inside workings of enough to understand that the same/similar title at one place means something completely different at another.
The expection to this maybe if you have to interact with external clients on a daily bases and industry titles are required. Or you need to have a weighted say in policies and processes so you need to have a c-level job title.
So I work in film, and although people dont like to admit it job titles mean a lot. I go out and deal with productions and sometimes I can say one thing and people don't take the blindest bit of notice because of my lowly title. Or I get left off chains because they think the SVP is the decision maker so why bother. I'm in a weird position where I deal with pretty senior people, I'm constantly the lowest 'rank' in some meetings yet often giving the most helpful guidance etc. I dunno. This post is turning into a bit of a rant :p

Back on topic.. my next step is to write up a deck to convince my dotted line manager (based here, very decent guy who supports his staff, but also hates my boss) that a lot of the additional work I've taken on is for his team and therefore I should be putting some onus on him to argue my case. He used to report to my HOD (my boss's boss) so he has a good relationship there but has previously not wanted to get too involved.

Secondly, I think it's time to throw my boss under the bus. Go back through my performance feedback notes where every year I've said "I'd like to know what to do to get a promotion" and show that he has not done so. Take that to HR, explain my frustrations.

Got caught out by this applying for new jobs when I was in one for 10 years. Without my job title changing throughout those 10 years, recruiters were asking questions seeing it as an red flag.
Indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been in a similar position. I ended up moving company a few times now to the more senior role I was declined a promotion for. At all these places it has been a non-competitive promotion: “we’ll promote you when you’re ready”. Each time I have found myself quite capable of more senior role at the new company. Each time the old company has been a bit surprised and gutted that I left (from a skill drain and resource point of view at least).

So it could be that the work you do at the moment is more valuable to the company than a promoted you. I.e. they pay you a rate to do high quality work that a new hire or promoted person on your current role and Salary would need months / years to achieve. Or it could be the company doesn’t think you’re a flight risk.

Soldato
right... I think I understand the issue a lot better... I don't think you want a promation as you are happy in what you are doing.

I think you want a job review where your workload, pay and title is is reviewed and possible changed.

It's natural for a position to change over time and pay not to refleact the changes, after a few years everyone ends up doing a hell lot % more and only get paid a few % more. This is way people find it easiler to leave for a promation and payrise.

some managers will fob you off with the statement that "What you are doing at the moment is what the position required and the pay at hiring refleacts this...", so they are basically saying that you was crap when you started and you finally developed to what the post requires and not that you was good at the start and your got better.

I think you may be "Greg-ing" (Succussion tv series reference) for your boss and he may be worried about losing you.
You may just be wasting your time, I've been there... sadly you can't change the culture of a company..
Snippit of a meeting I had in the past...
The opening lines of a the meeting.

Ast Director of IT: "I don't think you deserve a pay rise!"
Me: "That's ok, I'm not asking you for a pay rise, I'm asking the company for a job review!"
Ast Director of IT: "eerrmmm..."
End of the meeting..
Ast Director of IT: "I'm not sure what you do, so I need to ask around..."
Me: "Thanks for your time and wasting mine!"..

I have some experince working with senior IT consultants from the media industary in the past, I was quite shocked how little some was paid.. the issue is that the media companies don't value their IT systems. They may see your role as a necessary evil rather than a benefit to the company...

Soldato
Ast Director of IT: "I'm not sure what you do, so I need to ask around..."

That sounds like my line manager... he can't explain what it is that I actually do... but when he needs something needs to be sorted urgently and has no clue how to do it, I'm the person he tells to fix his issue...

Soldato
That sounds like my line manager... he can't explain what it is that I actually do... but when he needs something needs to be sorted urgently and has no clue how to do it, I'm the person he tells to fix his issue...
The guy was 100% a ****, zero IT knowledge yet would only listen to a few people.
He was told that he didn't qualify for the position and that he would have to retrain, find another position or leave within 3 years.

So rather than actually doing something that would benefit the company he just hung around for 3 years and then took early retirement.

I heard after I left, serveal more senior members of staff left because of him.

Associate
Moved employer
This!

I had a manager who I could never get promoted through. I moved to a different sector in the NHS and my career took off at the time. I realised that my currant employer at the time was never going to promote me. It took a while for me to accept this and a little longer to move. But when I did it was without doubt my best career move.

Soldato
This the easiest way, always worked for me. But too many think company loyalty earns you more money. That's not true anymore.
This has never been the case for me, at least since I started working professionally in the late 2000s. I stayed with my first employer as I was on a rapid progression path, but I did hit a glass ceiling after four years and couldn't earn anymore. I started interviewing and very quickly got an offer for 33% more. I informed my manager at the time of my job offer and intention to leave, and my employer gave me a counteroffer to match the new salary and moved me into a much better team. It's (not really) funny how there was no more money for me until I presented a job offer, but that's just normal in business, I guess.

Associate
From my experience, being in a company that long, especially one that sounds quite large, and not having opportunities thrown at you or given to you when asked for. Either you're doing something wrong or you're not valued enough, which could be for many different reasons.

If they're still fobbing you off after putting a proper case forward, then my advice would be to move on.

I realized once i got to my 3rd job just as i hit my 30's, i needed to make myself valuable, without taking on everything so the upper management think you'll do everything for nothing. Also, being vocal and not being a constant yes sir no sir man, i feel is key. Since doing that, i have had multiple promotions and pay-rises at my last two jobs.

Caporegime
In 100% of situations I've been promoted, it's through leaving for a better job before my company were prepared to promote me. That either means I'm too impatient or not very good, but I'm not bothered either way as the end result was achieved.

I kept telling my manager I didn't want it until one day I gave in and cashed that big fat pay cheque.
Is that a euphemism?

Man of Honour
In 100% of situations I've been promoted, it's through leaving for a better job before my company were prepared to promote me. That either means I'm too impatient or not very good, but I'm not bothered either way as the end result was achieved.

Is that a euphemism?
Yep, I let him cash it right in there :eek:

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Applied internally to become a Supervisor, passed and put on waiting list, had to wait 4 years to actually get the position and location I wanted! 50% pay rise.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think anything specific except build good relationships cross functionally and focus on the most important work. When first moving into management, I took on or created enough important + high visibility work that it required building and growing a team to deliver..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom