What did *you* do to get your promotion?

Soldato
It does mean I haven't been in a job for more than 3-4 years, but I feel that works for me.
In the USA in tech, 3 to 4 years is the normal vesting period of an initial tranche of stocks that is awarded at hire, which is why many people in tech tend to move on after 3 to 4 years. For most folks, the initial hire grant is the largest tranche that folks would get from any given employer.
Last year I got 3% and that was one of the higher increases I heard about, given inflation increases it makes my effective pay quite a lot lower than it was over the last few years
You're generally only paid what you're projected to cost to replace, and it's not the employer's responsibility to keep your pay in line with inflation. That's not to say that some don't do that via collective bargaining (union) agreements, for example, but in my experience it's pretty atypical.

Associate
I've written all of the right stuff in my reviews, I've made it clear to my boss I want it, I've taken on more responsibility in my role, I work out of hours when required, I'm helpful to other people and departments, I've networked well within the company. But clearly I'm not doing something.
Sounds like they are getting their monies worth outta you.

Do your job, and only your job.
Don't be a "yes" person.
Identify problems, but approach your boss with solutions.
It's ok to moan.

Source:- Promoted within 3 months of starting a new job.

Soldato
Sounds like they are getting their monies worth outta you.

Do your job, and only your job.
Don't be a "yes" person.
Identify problems, but approach your boss with solutions.
It's ok to moan.

Source:- Promoted within 3 months of starting a new job.

And if they don't like it, they can take their skill-set elsewhere.

Associate
not saying this is the only way to do it however my view is this:

you arn't there to make friends, a job is there to facilitate your life outside of work. So, if a promotion will give you the work/life balance and the cash you want to do the things you want, then happy days.

My approach has been to work hard, more than required for 12 months asking for nothing, then at review time list the times i have gone above and beyond, take in an idea of what i would reasonably want in terms of pay or role change based on the market, sometimes it is an easy chat, sometimes its tricky, sometimes they have approached me before the years up. However, and this is the big one, you have to be prepared to leave for pastures new, not in a threatening way (that never is sustainable) but in a way of, 'i want this for my career and dont feel im going to get it here etc'. I have worked in IT for 24 years and this approach has led me to leave 2 jobs (on my 3rd atm)

If they know you arnt a flight risk, coupled with you doing an excellent job at your current level, why would they promote you? Who could they get to replace you? sounds like you have made your self a bit irreplaceable which is as dangerous.

Soldato
If they know you arnt a flight risk, coupled with you doing an excellent job at your current level, why would they promote you? Who could they get to replace you? sounds like you have made your self a bit irreplaceable which is as dangerous.

Never be too good at your job that they want to keep your in that position but never be bad at your job that they want to replace you.

Man of Honour
The ways I've been promoted:
  1. I applied for a job in another department that I'd been working quite closely with. I didn't interview that well but I had the benefit of them knowing I was pretty smart and hard-working.
  2. A "Senior" role (my job with that prefix) was advertised internally and I applied for it. I strongly suspected it was just being created for someone else (which the hiring manager admitted to me later) but I applied anyway because I felt I had nothing to lose and wanted to put myself in their minds as someone wanting more. As it turned out, someone else in an equivalent role then resigned so there were now two vacancies. Anyway, I just went in and presented my case. Prior to that, I'd be pretty vocal with management about how we could improve our processes, which perhaps laid some groundwork.
  3. I applied for a more senior position albeit different role type in another department, when discussing this move with the Director of my department he then created an equivalent role in his department for me, because he knew how awesome I was through prior interactions and feedback from his team, they wouldn't want to lose me.
  4. I got called into a meeting where I was 'randomly' given a promotion and 33% pay rise, this was after a couple of years of no pay rise following the banking crisis but I'd just delivered a key project for a big client. My immediate boss knew I was unhappy with the lack of pay rises given the fact I'd grown into the role and was delivering well.
  5. My boss got promoted so after pondering it a bit and a bit of cajoling from a colleague I decided to apply for his old job. I knew someone else going for it and felt they were probably favourite but apparently I killed it in the interviews demonstrating much broader strategic thinking than they'd expected. This had fringe 'benefits' as it also got me on the succession plan for another Director who'd been on the interview panel. My point here is you don't necessarily have to have done anything particularly special prior to the interview stage, although clearly I was well regarded and the company was happy with my prior work.
To address your edit/rephrase, has this only been an issue at your current employer? If so, maybe they just don't see you in a more senior role and it's time to move on.
How many internal vacancies have you applied for? I mean, 4 of my 5 promotions came either directly or indirectly as a result of me applying for internal vacancies, only one was just a case of them deciding to give me a promotion. I didn't see a reply to @Lopéz question above along similar lines "promotion environment".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom