• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Associate
I think RT will be supplemented by the AI stuff in the next decade rather than being all out RT … and that there will become a balance of the game engine generating the bulk of the 3D world, RT flinging a skim pass at the lighting and environment, and this being the prompt information for AI deriving a final image from it.

Associate
Here's the interpretation from a drunk. I think Ray Tracing is just a test bed for Path Tracing. There will be technology in the pipeline hardly anyone knows about yet. Tinfoil hat time.

Soldato
You can quote this if you want. But I highly doubt the next xbox will be going primarily RT.

It will take time for the transition as mentioned above.

All I'm saying is that the hardware is there and doable now for those that want. Even if they'll be simpler stuff like reflections and shadows, I'd say that the majority (if not all) all next gen consoles will have RT as either the only setting available or that the raster version is underdeveloped.

To put it into perspective, was playing a bit last night with settings in CB77. With 4080 (not 4090!), was doing 4k@60 (actually above) for RT and DLSS Performance and also 4k@60 (actually above) with Path Tracing and DLSS Ultra Performance (I'm not sure what magic nVIDIA doesn, but it looks incredibly good even in motion!). All that without FG. With FG is around 100fps +/-.

If AMD can't do the same two whole gens from now, then it's all on them...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
All I'm saying is that the hardware is there and doable now for those that want. Even if they'll be simpler stuff like reflections and shadows, I'd say that the majority (if not all) all next gen consoles will have RT as either the only setting available or that the raster version is underdeveloped.

To put it into perspective, was playing a bit last night with settings in CB77. With 4080 (not 4090!), was doing 4k@60 (actually above) for RT and DLSS Performance and also 4k@60 (actually above) with Path Tracing and DLSS Ultra Performance (I'm not sure what magic nVIDIA doesn, but it looks incredibly good even in motion!). All that without FG. With FG is around 100fps +/-.

If AMD can't do the same two whole gens from now, then it's all on them...

Be that as it may. Still won't be PS7 until rasta starts getting phased out and games develeped from ground up with RT.

As for AMD. Let's see what they will do with their next gen stuff.

Caporegime
Playing horizon forbidden west and I'm putting it down till SSR gets improved or ray tracing added, supposedly one of the best games for water and visuals and yet look at this.

This isn't even the worse examples, there are a few areas where you literally just have a square block in the middle of the reflection :o

So this is why I care for RT.....

People who can't see these issues or don't find it immersion breaking to be perfectly honest should go to specsavers, I just don't know how people can settle for this. I don't expect full RT/PT but if devs don't have time to get raster methods looking good, they should look to RT as a way to solve such issues as quite frankly they would have been better of not bothering with SSR, I'm tempted to turn it off, same way I did with helldivers 2:

b9xEZjP.png

Be that as it may. Still won't be PS7 until rasta starts getting phased out and games develeped from ground up with RT.

As for AMD. Let's see what they will do with their next gen stuff.

Games being developed from ground up with RT/PT will be a good few years away and that's because it will be more down to how long it takes to adapt to a new development workflow and figure it out more so than waiting on hardware grunt, as we have seen what can be done when RT is the only focus and raster isn't. Games with RT only effects to replace for example shadows, reflections or/and GI won't be that far of imo as these are pretty easy to add nowadays.

Soldato
Playing horizon forbidden west and I'm putting it down till SSR gets improved or ray tracing added, supposedly one of the best games for water and visuals and yet look at this.

This isn't even the worse examples, there are a few areas where you literally just have a square block in the middle of the reflection :o

People who can't see these issues or don't find it immersion breaking to be perfectly honest should go to specsavers, I just don't know how people can settle for this. I don't expect full RT/PT but if devs don't have time to get raster methods looking good, they should look to RT as a way to solve such issues as quite frankly they would have been better of not bothering with SSR, I'm tempted to turn it off, same way I did with helldivers 2:

b9xEZjP.png

Games being developed from ground up with RT/PT will be a good few years away and that's because it will be more down to how long it takes to adapt to a new development workflow and figure it out more so than waiting on hardware grunt, as we have seen what can be done when RT is the only focus and raster isn't. Games with RT only effects to replace for example shadows, reflections or/and GI won't be that far of imo as these are pretty easy to add nowadays.
Not sure what GTA5 uses, but looks decent. Way better than these shinny (pun intended ) new games.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I agree RT is way better. But I can easily block out things like that luckily for me. I go back and forth playing new and old games all the time. If I was to let new tech like RT get in the way I would be screwed and I would not enjoy my old games.

What I find is if a game sucks me in I even stop caring about graphics to a degree. Like when I go back and play Deus Ex at first it's like boy these graphics suck. Then after a while I am having so much fun I forget about all that and those graphics become normal :D

A bigger issue for me would be knowing a game had RT and I was stuck playing non RT version. Still could do it, but deep down something would be nagging wanting to play with RT :p

Soldato
I agree RT is way better. But I can easily block out things like that luckily for me. I go back and forth playing new and old games all the time. If I was to let new tech like RT get in the way I would be screwed and I would not enjoy my old games.

What I find is if a game sucks me in I even stop caring about graphics to a degree. Like when I go back and play Deus Ex at first it's like boy these graphics suck. Then after a while I am having so much fun I forget about all that and those graphics become normal :D

A bigger issue for me would be knowing a game had RT and I was stuck playing non RT version. Still could do it, but deep down something would be nagging wanting to play with RT :p

Yeah, I can play older games, but can't remember one where I've seen such an awful implementation of SSR.

Soldato

b9xEZjP.png

Whats witht whute outline you get around the player at times? Is the a DLSS or SSR thing? Or something else?

Associate

And tonight I now get what makes you and me different.

I can enjoy a game with a couple of rendering oddities, you cannot.

I save money, you cannot.

We are not the same.

:cool::D

SSR in that game is not even close to as bad as it is in RE2.

Remember folks this person likely played through the first Horizon game without RT too but now it's not good enough. ... ...

iu

It's not that serious... but I needed an excuse to post this song because it's one of my fave LOL.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
And tonight I now get what makes you and me different.

I can enjoy a game with a couple of rendering oddities, you cannot.

I save money, you cannot.

We are not the same.

:cool::D

SSR in that game is not even close to as bad as it is in RE2.

Remember folks this person likely played through the first Horizon game without RT too but now it's not good enough. ... ...

iu

It's not that serious... but I needed an excuse to post this song because it's one of my fave LOL.

Who's alt account are you again? :p

Oh and trust me. Nexus knows ways of saving money. Plus, guy is still rocking a 10gb card in 2024 for god sakes :p:cry:

Back
Top Bottom