• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Man of Honour
People who can't see these issues or don't find it immersion breaking to be perfectly honest should go to specsavers, I just don't know how people can settle for this. I don't expect full RT/PT but if devs don't have time to get raster methods looking good, they should look to RT as a way to solve such issues as quite frankly they would have been better of not bothering with SSR, I'm tempted to turn it off, same way I did with helldivers 2:

Helldivers 2 water reflections are hideously poor - if you have a rover it often gets reflected at screen space size in the water taking up a huge amount of the reflection and incorrectly projected, they seriously need to put some dev time into that.

Caporegime
Helldivers 2 water reflections are hideously poor - if you have a rover it often gets reflected at screen space size in the water taking up a huge amount of the reflection and incorrectly projected, they seriously need to put some dev time into that.

Yes, Water reflections are pretty bad, its a pretty bad and old implementation of Screen Space Reflections.

So what? I don't care, the rest of the game looks gorgeous, the lighting is gorgeous, the volumetrics are gorgeous... i don't want the water reflections to be Ray Traced, i'm quite happy to see my Guard Dog reflected in a lake 200 metres away at the size of a large building, i just have a little giggle at it and move on, i don't need this game requiring a 4090 to run just so that i can see realistic reflections.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure. But I bet you can find a bunch of other awful things in those games relative to today and especially when compared to RT games.
Outside of Fallout 76 which had an aweful GI, making it feel akin to a modded version of F4, no, I can't think now of a game that had other serious issues outside of reflections when it comes to RT. Watch Dogs 2 has the SSR broken (probably Nvidia "perfect" drivers at work), with some "clipping" (or whatever it is), which I also turned off. As long as it's not "in your face", I'm pretty used with the fakery of raster in older games.
Yes, Water reflections are pretty bad, its a pretty bad and old implementation of Screen Space Reflections.

So what? I don't care, the rest of the game looks gorgeous, the lighting is gorgeous, the volumetrics are gorgeous... i don't want the water reflections to be Ray Traced, i'm quite happy to see my Guard Dog reflected in a lake 200 metres away at the size of a large building, i just have a little giggle at it and move on, i don't need this game requiring a 4090 to run just so that i can see realistic reflections.
You don't need a 4090 to do some relative simple reflections, lol

Associate
Games being developed from ground up with RT/PT will be a good few years away and that's because it will be more down to how long it takes to adapt to a new development workflow
Its not going to be any such thing, its going to be down to cost, or to be more precise, how much will it cost us?
Take your head out of Jensen's ass for a second..........leave that brown nose colour fade a little bit ;)

Soldato
You stopped playing a game because of the reflections in the water.

Stop being a drama queen and play your damn game.

I’ve been playing Dragons Dogma 2 and marvelling at the dated graphics and poor water reflection. It all looked so dated at one point I had to check I hadn’t bought the original 2012 version by mistake. Then there are times I actually find a spot it looks very pretty and I am impressed by the gameplay and the seamless open world.

Please help, I’m clearly doing something wrong by putting gameplay ahead of graphics and need some sort of intervention to set me straight. Maybe someday I will see the (Ray traced) light.

I jest of course and if that’s how important such trivial things are to some, fair play to them. Enjoy the handful of games that have perfect RT reflections and ignore all the other classics and great games that exist.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, I can play older games, but can't remember one where I've seen such an awful implementation of SSR.

Same. This is a perfect example of nowadays where devs are pushed for time and possibly just don't care as much when developing what is arguably art and this is exactly why realtime RT was brought to the gaming space to aid them in not having to spend ages getting such ancient methods to not look what is outright broken imo.

Remember folks this person likely played through the first Horizon game without RT too but now it's not good enough. ... ...

Actually, many complained at how awful HZD water was including DF, iirc, largely because rdr 2 was out at the time and far superior. We also didn't have rt at the time to know how much better things could have been. Not many want to go back to 60hz after experiencing 144hz+......

Its not going to be any such thing, its going to be down to cost, or to be more precise, how much will it cost us?
Take your head out of Jensen's ass for a second..........leave that brown nose colour fade a little bit ;)

Jenson/nvidia is responsible for avatar (amd sponsored titles) and spiderman 2 (console only) being RT only????

Who are the ones making games? Not us. RT from the get go has always been about aiding devs more in terms of time/effort and in return saving publishers money. Of course we won't see the savings in our pockets. Same way in my work, we have templates for development workflows which seek to save £60+k in development costs and as usual, we don't see them savings in our bonus/pay slip.....

You stopped playing a game because of the reflections in the water.

Stop being a drama queen and play your damn game.

It's ok, any areas with water now, I just look the opposite way at the desert.

No less immersion breaking than walking into a puddle that turns out to be glass and has no water effects at all. Or when you shoot water and not even a splash. The point is what people find acceptable will be down to personal opinion. I can live with both “issues”.

True and I don't disagree about physics but are you saying here that with RT reflections, its not possible to have such physics? Just if you are, this isn't the case, see cp 2077, water physcis are a seperate thing to RT, SSR etc.

Whats witht whute outline you get around the player at times? Is the a DLSS or SSR thing? Or something else?

It's down to SSR, all games have it to an extent with SSR, some are just less obvious. Days gone is another example of it. Upscaling and/or DOF can magnify the issue more though.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I’ve been playing Dragons Dogma 2 and marvelling at the dated graphics and poor water reflection. It all looked so dated at one point I had to check I hadn’t bought the original 2012 version by mistake. Then there are times I actually find a spot it looks very pretty and I am impressed by the gameplay and the seamless open world.

Please help, I’m clearly doing something wrong by putting gameplay ahead of graphics and need some sort of intervention to set me straight. Maybe someday I will see the (Ray traced) light.

I jest of course and if that’s how important such trivial things are to some, fair play to them. Enjoy the handful of games that have perfect RT reflections and ignore all the other classics and great games that exist.

Uninstall. Wait for RT to be sdded bugs to be fixed :D

Not touching that game for 6-12 months myself. Thanks for beta testing :D

Soldato
True and I don't disagree about physics but are you saying here that with RT reflections, its not possible to have such physics? Just if you are, this isn't the case, see cp 2077, water physcis are a seperate thing to RT, SSR etc.

Nope, I am not attacking RT or saying RT prevents such effects. I’m pointing out that even the best RT games can take shortcuts and have immersion breaking graphical issues. RT does not a great game make and will not guarantee graphical perfection.

I love Watchdogs legion despite those glass puddles and CP2077 has some of the worst water effects in modern gaming (despite the “improvements”). Both games can still be enjoyed for what really matters.

Caporegime
Nope, I am not attacking RT or saying RT prevents such effects. I’m pointing out that even the best RT games can take shortcuts and have immersion breaking graphical issues. RT does not a great game make and will not guarantee graphical perfection.

I love Watchdogs legion despite those glass puddles and CP2077 has some of the worst water effects in modern gaming (despite the “improvements”). Both games can still be enjoyed for what really matters.

That is true although I think that's very rare, only game I can recall of where I had to turn it off was hogwarts where it looked down right broken (and even then the games raster ultra settings were broken where high looked better). No doubt there are some flaws especially before ray reconstruction came into the picture for cp 2077 with the reflections being a bit smeary in motion but those issues aren't quite as distracting as shown in helldivers 2 and hfw imo.

I don't disagree on this:

RT does not a great game make and will not guarantee graphical perfection.

But when seeing such issues as shown above, it can break immersion and make the experience very jarring when you see such issues, essentially it distracts from the experience. I'm the same when it comes to performance, any issues whatsoever, instantly will make me uninstall and wait e.g. enshrouded, despite having high fps and even trying to lock to 60 fps, the game just feels awful to play with micro stutter (some engine limitation apparently) so it was refunded within 1 hour.

Also, another thing I'm noticing a lot.....

Associate
Uninstall. Wait for RT to be sdded bugs to be fixed :D

Not touching that game for 6-12 months myself. Thanks for beta testing :D
The various "what game are you playing?" threads could mostly be called "what game are you beta testing?" anyhow.

Equally, the various new hardware/wi*ly waving threats. Leading edge = beta testing.

In both cases: thank you all for the beta testing!
But also in both cases: do not thank you all for over-paying for unfinished goods

While that has always been the case, it does seem to have gotten worse. There is a "fail early, fail often" software deployment model, and while the intention is to find bugs early, I think - maybe somewhat jaundicedly - that it sounds like an excuse to get stuff out there without much testing or planning.

Even really big releases like Microsoft Windows/Office365/Teams seems to ship as beta these days - far more than possibly any Microsoft releases since the latter 90s. Microsoft used to mostly ship unfinished software when they felt they were behind and wanted to rush in. Nowadays they seem to be doing so with everything - it's almost like some hubris that believe they are so big that they can do whatever they want. Planning and long term thinking seems to have gone out the (lowercase) windows!

Soldato
The video is showing as private sorry. I do agree that SSR bug is quite jarring. It’s going to be personal preference if it is enough to make a player shelve a game of course.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The video is showing as private sorry. I do agree that SSR bug is quite jarring. It’s going to be personal preference if it is enough to make a player shelve a game of course.

8k90rs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom