What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Starship Troopers: Invasion - 7/10
This is an animated film from 2012 and very enjoyable featuring some of the old cast. Bugs get on a federation starship and take it over etc. Bug standard story.

Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars - 6/10
A follow-up to the above film and still very watchable. Johnny Rico this time has a full on prominent role and is voiced by Casper Van Dien.

These two films should have been follow ups to to Starship Troopers imo.

Caporegime
Lolita https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056193/

I've not yet had a poor experience with a Stanley Kubrick film, and this was no exception.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. All the cast were excellent, especially James Mason, Sue Lyon, Shelley Winters and Peter Sellers.

At some point throughout the film, I couldn't help but wonder what the fuss was about in regard to the relationship between Mason and his step-daughter.
Nothing inappropriate was really indicated; in fact, earlier on, it simply seemed like deep, unconditional love for his step-daughter.
Though, later on, I did start to think otherwise as the odd comment made by Lyon suggested there was more to it than that.
I guess, due to the period the film was made in, meant that those sorts of things were handled very delicately.

Most enjoyable film experience I've had for a while.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Ghostbusters Frozen Kingdom - Was a lot better than i expect, very nostalgic and i love the background and lore behind the protagonists as always. Overall not bad at all. 7.5/10

Gundam Seed Freedom - Very surprised this was shown at all in the UK. If your a Gundam seed Fan your going to love this. After so many years its a catch up to Kira and gang of coordinators. The art and animation was superb as always and a nice blend of CGI and cells. Very intricate story but a real treat to anime fans. 8/10

Associate
The Covenant - 8/10

I really enjoyed this one. Doesn’t do anything particularly new, but I thought the cinematography was excellent throughout.

Loses a few points because if you scratch the surface of some of the decision making and equipment used are questionable or flat out wrong lol.

Permabanned
Road House 2024 - So having never seen the original, but liking Jake, I thought I'll give it a go, the first half is very easy to watch/less is more 'that'll do' turn your brain off mildly amusing stuff, then Connor McGreggor turns up and it just becomes a 0/10 film, this was painful to watch from there on. 4/10 for the first 45-60mins, 0/10 for the remainder.

Southpaw - one of Jakes best, Rachel McAdams is decent in this, as is the actress who plays their daughter - you genuinely believe they are a real family, the casting was spot on!
This is definitely the rocky of this generation, but with very good boxing, I remember watching what Jake had to go through to train to be capable of doing it, impressive. Forest Whitaker plays his part very well too!
The savage plot line, makes this such a good film, it's as much about loss/family/redemption, as it is about boxing. 8/10

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)

One of the best black and white films I've seen, particularly recently. Burt Lancaster, Carl Madlen and Telly Savalas are really good, especially when you consider acting styles were quite melodramatic in most films up to and around the time this was made.

7/10

Associate
Warcraft (2016) - 7/10
Watched it when it first came out, mainly surprised at how well the CGI has held up considering the garbage we're met with in a lot of recent movies.

Madame Web (2024) - 5/10
Ok movie but unarguably could've been better. DJ's acting was very wooden.

Associate
My Name Is Vendetta (2022) - 6/10

A less than typical revenge thriller with stunning scenery, raw emotional acting and brutally violent action scenes.

The plot and characters are pretty standard and quite limited but the dark and serious style is good and the ending was quite dramatic.

Soldato
Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves

It was a lot of fun. I was pleasantly surprised. I would have seen it at the cinema but thought it would be rubbish, fortunately they refrained from making "modern statements" and I think it will be a film that stands the test of time.

7/10

Soldato
Poor Things, this is one of those strange films, was unsure during the first 30 minutes but really enjoyed it once I watched it all as it all made sense to me. 8/10.

Soldato
Road House 2024 - So having never seen the original, but liking Jake, I thought I'll give it a go, the first half is very easy to watch/less is more 'that'll do' turn your brain off mildly amusing stuff, then Connor McGreggor turns up and it just becomes a 0/10 film, this was painful to watch from there on. 4/10 for the first 45-60mins, 0/10 for the remainder.

Southpaw - one of Jakes best, Rachel McAdams is decent in this, as is the actress who plays their daughter - you genuinely believe they are a real family, the casting was spot on!
This is definitely the rocky of this generation, but with very good boxing, I remember watching what Jake had to go through to train to be capable of doing it, impressive. Forest Whitaker plays his part very well too!
The savage plot line, makes this such a good film, it's as much about loss/family/redemption, as it is about boxing. 8/10
I highly recommend the original Swayze Roadhouse. It is fun and a mental 80s action film.

Back
Top Bottom