What film did you watch last night?

Underboss
Ricky Stanicky, Amazon Prime.

Good premise and I think pretty original, funny in places and John Cena dresses up like Britney Spears…if that’s your thing.

5.5/10

Don
Dune Part 2 - 9/10
A feast for the eyes and ears.

Maybe Zendaya doesn't quite fit the part the best and at times doesn't look like she spends her life living in a desert in a couple of scenes (looks like she's just stepped out of the salon) but that's quite minor. I would imagine this will clean up at the Oscars next year particularly on the technical side, but Javier Bardem is immense as is Rebecca Fergueson.

Man of Honour
Saint Judy (2018)

Based on a true story that probably deserved a better film made around the subject matter than this turned out to be. It felt very by the numbers and formulaic in almost every aspect, the acting wasn't great and Common was seriously miscast and totally unconvincing as the prosecution lawyer.

4/10

Associate
These Final Hours (2013) - another apocalypse / end of times movie based in Australia. The asteroid has already hit on the other side of the world and the destruction is on the way in 12 hours. No big special effect fest, just about the human story. Very good, if a little depressing 8/10

Caporegime
Damsel

A fantasy fairy tale that is different in a highly predictable fashion. Has a strong cast but a not particularly compelling story. It feels like it wants to be a family movie, but is surely too gory for such an audience? Despite hitting several of my pet hates - a dragon that moves like it weighs about as much as a puma; a castle where the incredibly rich owners are too poor to clean their walls; and characters who wonder around in a world that is full of medieval tropes but act like they parachuted in from the 21st century - and being mostly mediocre, I did find myself getting swept along with it by the end and cheering along with the hero's success.

Not a great film, the kind of thing that was once described as "straight to video" but fun at times 6/10.

Soldato
The Day After (1983) - 7/10

Another film that came out of the 80's Cold War era fear of nuclear armageddon, like When the wind blows and Threads.

It's held up quite well imo as the underlying theme of existential dread from nuclear war is pretty timeless and still relevant today.

As long as you can cope with dodgy 80's "CGI" and TV level acting, though there were a couple of notable faces in Steve Guttenberg and John Lithgow plus a plethora of other recognisable faces, then it's worth a watch.

Soldato
Went to India for a couple of days so ended up binging:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 4.5/5. I really enjoyed this; from the first 30 mins or so I thought I was in for a tough watch but it was quite good.

Dune - 3.5/5. Not my cup of tea. Found it a bit boring.

The Departed - 5/5. I don't think I watched this properly the first time; so whilst I enjoyed it, I didn't give it the attention it really deserved. A proper good film IMHO.

Chef - 4/5. Also excellent.

Passengers - 3.5/5. It was OK as a concept but a bit "dull"?

Permabanned
The Departed - 5/5. I don't think I watched this properly the first time; so whilst I enjoyed it, I didn't give it the attention it really deserved. A proper good film IMHO.

Chef - 4/5. Also excellent.

Passengers - 3.5/5. It was OK as a concept but a bit "dull"?
Love all of these, The Departed is god tier.
Chef is so easy to rewatch, so humbling and pretty funny, Scarlett is near peak hotness in this too ;)
Passengers has a really nice chill out less is more vibe about it, and the surprise cameo of who the captain is, was a nice bonus!
Jen looks banging in this too :D

Associate
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) - 7/10

Good old-fashioned fun family entertainment which is far too similar to the original films and the previous modern film.

There’s plenty of charm, spooky horror, humour and nostalgia in the plot and the world-ending and moral elements are done well.

The overall style, characters, setting and special effects are great, especially the look of the run-down handmade scientific contraptions, but it just doesn’t bring anything new to the franchise, being all a bit-too similar to what has gone before.

Soldato

Drive-Away Dolls - 6/10​

I had no clue what this film was about going into the cinema. I’m still not completely sure what it was about and a couple of random things that happened in it but it was bloody hilarious and I throughly enjoyed watched it. Pedro Pascal starts off the weirdly wonderful film.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Oppenheimer (2023)

Watched it at the cinema and it didn't really do it for me. After a second watch I haven't really changed my mind. I enjoyed it a little more the second time but it's still too long and the final third is still the least interesting.

From a technical point of view it's a brilliant film, but you wouldn't expect anything less from Nolan and the acting is first class. But for me, as a fan of his work, it's still his weakest film.

6/10

Back
Top Bottom