what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

This was neat.

Not $60k neat, but neat.

These seem to have that effect on a lot of people listening to them,

Rare unboxing and AMA from an owner,

"*I WAS NOT EXPECTING THIS NEXT PART* I felt a tear forming. And then tears forming. And before I knew it I was just outright sobbing. Sobbing at the beauty of the music. The pureness and earnestness of the sound. The sweetness of it. All wrapped in this feeling of nostalgia, past memories, and a deeper sense of humanity.

Frankly speaking, it's the hardest I've cried in nearly a decade. I rarely cry."

I can't help but wonder if the grandeur of the whole thing helps add to the emotional experience, to be completely honest this is probably one headphone I would be reluctant to try out for fear of ruining everything else!

Man of Honour
I think it is 100% that. The video I posted they even recommend headphones that are siilar in sound and presentation, headphones that many of us already have, the HD6** series for example. If we won the lotto and bought this HE-1, would we suddenly hear tens of thousands of $$$ in better sound? I 100% know for sure that we would not, but the psychological effect of knowing that the headphones being listened to cost so much adds a notion of impact into it all.

I want to see a blind-listening test done with people who are not told what they are listening to and all the Sennheiser headphones mentioned in the video lined up to each listener. I think the results would be surprising.

Associate
As per the helpful advice from @Things change I've changed I've finally got a balanced cable for the HD 650s. From Sky Audio Cables. Also added the 4.4 bal to 6.3/3.5mm adaptor. In teal and anthracite. The cable is lovely, such high quality and well made. I also now understand balanced, in that letting the HD 650 use 4.4mm balanced output from the Fiio K11 really opens it up. Still need the final 4.4mm to 2.5mm adaptor for the Qudelix - unfortunately Sky Audio Cables don't appear to make those.

LATE EDIT: Scratch that. Sky Audio Cables have offered to make a 4.4mm Bal to 2.5mm Bal cable to match the 4.4 to 3.5/6.3 cable. Woot! Top service, so final adaptor ordered tonight :)

CXK3d50l.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just added a sparkly new pair of Sennheiser HD800S to the stable, so the (not even) full list is now:

Sennheiser HD800S
Sennheiser HD650
Grado RS-1x
Grado SR325x
Denon AH-D7200
Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
HiFiMAN HE400i
Sony MDR-1A
AKG K702 (bass port modded)
plus numerous sub £100 IEMs (I find them too uncomfortable to spend serious money on)

Associate
Hey all. I currently use AKG K702 connected to my iFi ZenDac and Ifi ZenCan and I am wanting to upgrade to a better pair of headphones primarily for music listening. I was previously recommended to get the Hifiman Sundara but I didn't get round to buying them. I have been seeing a lot of people suggesting the Beyerdynamic DT990s (600ohm one?) too.
Which pair would be best for me to get. The Sundaras are £94 more expensive, are they worth it?

Whichever pair of headphones I buy, I should connect them with a balanced cable right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
Sundaras are in another league to the DT990, even the 600 ohm variant. The only downside is reliability and build quality, Beyers are way better built and last decades. If you are ok with the poorer build quality and prepared to run the gauntlet of reliability, the Sundaras sound a LOT better than the DT990.
You can't connect DT990's balanced without rewiring the headphones.
If you want a Beyerdynamic headphone the DT880 is a better bet, specially the 600 ohm version. It's a semi-open/closed headphone as opposed to fully open backed for the DT990 and Sundara.

Associate
Sundaras are in another league to the DT990, even the 600 ohm variant. The only downside is reliability and build quality, Beyers are way better built and last decades. If you are ok with the poorer build quality and prepared to run the gauntlet of reliability, the Sundaras sound a LOT better than the DT990.
You can't connect DT990's balanced without rewiring the headphones.
If you want a Beyerdynamic headphone the DT880 is a better bet, specially the 600 ohm version. It's a semi-open/closed headphone as opposed to fully open backed for the DT990 and Sundara.
Thanks Sundara are ordered and a balanced cable to go with it. Hopefully the cable and headphones are reliable and issue free. I’ll report back and let you know when I receive them :)

Just added a sparkly new pair of Sennheiser HD800S to the stable, so the (not even) full list is now:

Sennheiser HD800S
Sennheiser HD650
Grado RS-1x
Grado SR325x
Denon AH-D7200
Beyerdynamic DT1990 pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 pro
HiFiMAN HE400i
Sony MDR-1A
AKG K702 (bass port modded)
plus numerous sub £100 IEMs (I find them too uncomfortable to spend serious money on)

Enjoy! I love the HD800S, now it's available for only around 1k it has to be one of the best price to performance headphones at the higher end, it's one of those headphones that competes with nearly everything at a higher price point.

Associate
Hifiman Sundara and a balanced cable have arrived. I've listened to one song so far and I can already tell the bass is a lot better than the AKG K702. I need to test them more obviously but my initial impression is that they are in another league to the K702s. :)

Soldato
Enjoy! I love the HD800S, now it's available for only around 1k it has to be one of the best price to performance headphones at the higher end, it's one of those headphones that competes with nearly everything at a higher price point.
I got them from Audio Affair for £1099, so £400 off - it was what made me finally cave in and order them. So glad I did, they are insanely good and work really well for all the genres I listen to.

Caporegime
I kept mine in the end and hooked them up to a modest audio interface, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2,
and although it sure sounds good, I wouldn't be surprised if I needed a beefier audio interface to get the best out of them.

Associate
As per the helpful advice from @Things change I've changed I've finally got a balanced cable for the HD 650s. From Sky Audio Cables. Also added the 4.4 bal to 6.3/3.5mm adaptor. In teal and anthracite. The cable is lovely, such high quality and well made. I also now understand balanced, in that letting the HD 650 use 4.4mm balanced output from the Fiio K11 really opens it up. Still need the final 4.4mm to 2.5mm adaptor for the Qudelix - unfortunately Sky Audio Cables don't appear to make those.

LATE EDIT: Scratch that. Sky Audio Cables have offered to make a 4.4mm Bal to 2.5mm Bal cable to match the 4.4 to 3.5/6.3 cable. Woot! Top service, so final
bc6f199c03534bbbe84fd3a7ec56bf8b01060cce.jpg

Received my XLR balanced from Skyaudiocables last week, great quality, will be looking at some custom XLR interconnects in the not so distant future from them.

bc6f199c03534bbbe84fd3a7ec56bf8b01060cce.jpg

Received my XLR balanced from Skyaudiocables last week, great quality, will be looking at some custom XLR interconnects in the not so distant future from them.

You enjoying the Thruthear Crincale Reds? You have many IEMs?

Such nice cables. Got my custom 4.4 to 2.5 balanced adaptor today. Cannot speak highly enough of the service and quality.

That was nice of them to do that, I need to throw some more money their way!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
What do people think of these:

They use Audeze/STAX components and appear to be very high end which is then reflected by the price too (), I've been asked if I'm interested in a pair to review so am eager to get my ears on them :cool:

These would be the first planar magnetic headphones I will have heard, be interesting to hear how they sound via both Bluetooth 5.2 and wired.

Associate
That was nice of them to do that, I need to throw some more money their way!

It's a nice story. I asked if they ever had any plans to offer 4.4 to 2.5 balanced adaptors, on the off chance. And received the replied saying they could build a custom one. Accidentally sent a 4.4 to 3.5/6.3 adaptor again but the very next day dispatched the custom one. Stunning hand built cables and the customer service is top notch.

The whole setup of HD 650 + cable + adaptor is a bit too much the dinky Qudelix on the move but perfect in a desk/home setup.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom