What Linux Operating Systems do you like?

Associate
I've been using arch for the last two and a half years. No prior experience with other distros, but also not felt any reason to look at using anything else since the switch from windows.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been using Zorin for a couple of years on an old laptop that struggled to run Windows 10 and it has been running fine. Mainly for Internet and general office tasks when myself or the Mrs can't be bothered using the PC upstairs. I like the graphical interface and it's a light distro so doesn't stress the laptop.

Work wise we basically only use CentOs with a mix of 7 and 8 and only one or two Ubuntu boxes floating around. I don't 'like' any of them but can use them fine, no preference on RHEL or Debian for me.

Soldato
I like Fedora as its the most vanilla of the big distros but I use Ubuntu as some of the small details of Fedora annoy me like no x button to close windows etc... so Ubuntu is my distro of choice.

Soldato
I like Fedora as its the most vanilla of the big distros but I use Ubuntu as some of the small details of Fedora annoy me like no x button to close windows etc... so Ubuntu is my distro of choice.
I like both, but you do realise you can restore the 'X' (and/or the middle restore button) with a single click in Gnome Tweaks, right? Use whichever distro you prefer, of course, but missing window buttons are definitely not a differentiating factor. :)

Soldato
Technically I believe that’s more of a GNOME design choice than a Fedora choice as they intentionally ship a very vanilla experience of it :) (I appreciate that sounds rather pedantic but I do feel it’s a relevant distinction to make)

But as Rainmaker has said, you can add them back :)

Soldato
I am currently a pure-Debian man. All servers and PCs. I run Debian Desktop with Cinnamon on my desktop and laptop and love it. I love that it doesn't constantly update and is solid. I don't need my OS to update and change all the time, I need it to be secure and fast and reliable and not annoying. That's Debian for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m pretty new to Linux.

Got myself an Intel N100 Mini PC to run Home Assistant on. Started with Ubuntu but didn’t understand why I couldn’t get GPU acceleration to work for x264 videos. I’ve since realised that it was because the kernel version was too old for the hardware.

I then tried Linux Mint which was absolutely fine, and a really impressive replacement for Windows.

However, I’ve settled on openSUSE Tunbleweed KDE although I couldn’t give you a reason why. So far it’s running brilliantly.

Associate
My new favourite this week is Fedora-Server. Easy to install, ifconfig works out of the box.. and after including headlesstools the terminal pointed me to port localhost:9090 what a joy! Great work whoever you people are. It just works. and the install was also very liberating to use. I'm now thinking what is the downside here?

Last edited:
Soldato
My new favourite this week is Fedora-Server. Easy to install, ifconfig works out of the box.. and after including headlesstools the terminal pointed me to port localhost:9090 what a joy! Great work whoever you people are. It just works. and the install was also very liberating to use. I'm now thinking what is the downside here?
Stability. (e: In the true Unix sense, meaning 'changes' not 'breaks'. It releases far too often, updates base packages etc.)

Try Rocky Linux instead. Same ease of use, same tools (plus some quality of life addons) but 10 years of rock solid reliability and updates. It's my first reach on a server nowadays.

Last edited:
Associate
Stability. (e: In the true Unix sense, meaning 'changes' not 'breaks'. It releases far too often, updates base packages etc.)

Try Rocky Linux instead. Same ease of use, same tools (plus some quality of life addons) but 10 years of rock solid reliability and updates. It's my first reach on a server nowadays.
Thanks I'll take a look at that. The reason I reached for it was I've been trying out iperf3.16 as it's been updated to use multithread cpu now. I got pretty frustrated trying to plant an OS that was easy to push across multiple systems... wsl old bare metal and new ish stuff, tried Arch Debian which just didn't translate as well. It runs better than I expected though.

Back
Top Bottom