What monthly dosh will I get from £500000 pension pot?

Associate
As a rough reckoner they reckon that for every 10 years you delay starting your pension you need to put double the monthly amount in.

A reasonable one I heard (think it might have been from Working Lunch) was that at whatever age you start your pension you should be paying half that amount in terms of a % of your monthly salary. So a 24-year-old starting a pension should pay 12% of his monthly salary towards his pension.

But I'm a teacher so I've not thought about it too hard :D

Associate
21 years old I started my civil service pension, cant wait to retire on that baby!

You may hope the next government doesnt do a rethink on final salary pensions for public sector jobs (even for those currently in them).

An axe needs taken to reduce the deficit and this is an ache in the side the country could do without.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Okay. I'm normally fairly clued up on all financial sorts of stuff compared to most people my age but I really don't understand pensions.

You pay into it all your life and you won't neccissarily get all of what you put in out? All I see is that more will be put in by some employers who will match contributions etc... what is the advantage over saving?

Cheers to anyone who explains :)

Associate
You may hope the next government doesnt do a rethink on final salary pensions for public sector jobs (even for those currently in them).

An axe needs taken to reduce the deficit and this is an ache in the side the country could do without.

Considering the millions of people it would affect, it'd be political (and possibly very real) suicide. There would be rioting. And I would be one of the rioters, frankly.

Associate

Really? I can't be bothered to rise to this.

Needless to say if whatever fantay world this happens I'll be at the front of the queue lynching whichever prime minister rubber stamped it.

^^ Suderooney, you beat me to it! I edited my reply many times until i cooled down. On an aside how have you foudn the 452's on your z3? I'm having them fitted to my a series this week.

Associate
Okay. I'm normally fairly clued up on all financial sorts of stuff compared to most people my age but I really don't understand pensions.

You pay into it all your life and you won't neccissarily get all of what you put in out? All I see is that more will be put in by some employers who will match contributions etc... what is the advantage over saving?

As someone who aims to start work proper in the next 12 months I am also very interested in this :)

Soldato
well for one mine comes out of my gross rate, my employers contributions also more than double mine but i don't know if that's just me getting lucky.

Caporegime

That is indeed the risk as the annuity you buy with your pension fund will only last until your death (or your wife's death as an option) so if your fund is worth £500,000 and you die in the first year then you have lost out big time.

On the other hand if you live until your 110 and retire at 55 the annuity company will have paid out more than twice and maybe three times what your fund had reached so its a big win for you.

Of course you can take 25% as a lump sum on retirement and do what you wish with it.

The biggest thing excluding employers who match or even double what you put into your pension is that contributions to a pension is tax free eg if your put £80 in the government puts back the £20 tax so £100 actually goes into your pension (more if your a 40% tax payer)

On that basis any other form of savings needs to do very well to catch up with the 20% or 40% gain your pension has already made from day one. The downside is that pension schemes carry an annual "management" charge and there is normally up to 5% difference between the sell and buy price of pension fund units.

In fact some people in the 80's and 90's were sold pensions which carried 11%+ annual charges (my gf was one) which was fine when the fund was making 18%+ per annum but not so good when it was making less than 11% (her money actually went down)

Nowadays pensions have been cleaned up and there are funds which only charge 1% per annum which although they may not be the best performing, they don't have to be. Eg your 1% fund makes 6% giving you a net return of 5%. A high management fee super performing fund which happened to charge 5% per annum would need to make 10% per year to match the lower charging fund.

In my gf case she shut down all her different pensions with high street banks and transferred them all to one reasonably charging (1.68%) but well performing pension company over a number of different funds which gained 28% over the last year compared with the 8% it would have made if she had left the money where it was. Put with her tax rebate and that has given her a 68% first year return on her pension contributions. :eek:

Of course 40% relief is removed from April 2009 and all pension investments will only get 20% relief.:(

Best advice is find a good Independant Financial Advisory especially one recommended by somebody you know. I have dealt with loads over the years and some were awful but the current one is a gem who I would not change from, ever. He spent weeks getting valuations of my gf pensions, putting a 200 page report together for the recommended pension funds with histories compared to her current and his fee was only a few hundred pounds (from the pension company as commision). He also sorted our last two mortgages out for free (to us).

So yes, a pension can pay you less than you paid into it but if your dead, are you bothered? You need to be asking yourself "What happens if I live to 110?"

Don
Considering the millions of people it would affect, it'd be political (and possibly very real) suicide. There would be rioting. And I would be one of the rioters, frankly.

no government can win on this issue, it may affect millions and lose votes amongst these people but their are a lot of people who know it needs to be done and it could be a vote winner amongst a bigger group

as some have said the pension has been seen as a pay off for deficiencies in other parts of the renumeration package but the private sector is tightening all the time and the difference becoming less and less

we all know that huge public sector reform is needed but whether anyone has the ******* to do everything required is another matter

Soldato
I stared putting in about 5% since I was 20. I think my company match it to an extent. Only 25 now but I need to buy a house and a car etc etc. It is nice to save, but investing in myself is possibly a better option at this point. Once I have a house and get a bit older I will increase it.

I am worried that is isn't the best policy however, my company basically said sign this if you want a pension. As long as it performs better than sticking my money into a savings accounts then I am happy but I wouldn't mind checking to make sure I am not being totally scammed.

A guy at my work is about 55 and has no pension or house or anything. I don't wanna be in that situation!

Caporegime
I stared putting in about 5% since I was 20. I think my company match it to an extent. Only 25 now but I need to buy a house and a car etc etc. It is nice to save, but investing in myself is possibly a better option at this point. Once I have a house and get a bit older I will increase it.

I am worried that is isn't the best policy however, my company basically said sign this if you want a pension. As long as it performs better than sticking my money into a savings accounts then I am happy but I wouldn't mind checking to make sure I am not being totally scammed.

A guy at my work is about 55 and has no pension or house or anything. I don't wanna be in that situation!

That's the problem. It's all too easy to say I'll halt the pension cause I need a house,car etc but you may not always work for a company which matches your pension investment (or this might disappear altogether) so make the most of it while you can.

Secondly, if you stop your 5% now for ten years you will need to put 10% in for the rest of your life to just put your pension back to where it was.

On the other hand, I would always want to know how my money was performing so ask somebody in HR at work.

Don
I have 18 years in a final salary scheme which has now been closed so that is now frozen ( indexed to RPI )

I now have about 11.5% of salary going into defined contribution scheme

will look at other options when my mortgage is paid off in 9 yrs

Permabanned
I can't see that public finances or public opinion will allow it to continue forever though unfortunately

Bit hard when it's a legal agreement.. (which everyone conveniently forgets, it is of course the workers fault the government offered such schemes afterall isn't it now?)

Its closed to new entrants as you say. If the pensions were renegraded on, do you think anyone would work for the government again? Very unlikely.

Caporegime
daft as it sounds that is a consideration when making decisions

Problem is 28% of people don't make it to retirement. If you work on the basis that you might be one of those 28% then don't bother with a pension and live life to the full now.

Shame we don't have a crystal ball.

Back
Top Bottom