What monthly dosh will I get from £500000 pension pot?

Don
Bit hard when it's a legal agreement.. (which everyone conveniently forgets, it is of course the workers fault the government offered such schemes afterall isn't it now?)

we had ours stopped despite it being contractual, as long as they give notice they can do it

Soldato
currently. Its unlikely to be abolished either in reality.;)

In 30 years it will be income-dependant, everythign will be a tax-credit or income-support etc, so the govt can give to those who 'REALLY NEED IT and can't work as they are too lazy'.

I fully expect to have no govt pension, just hoping they don't screw me out of an NHS pension if I spend another 25/30 years paying into one. If they do that I'll likely splash the pensions minster in the face with acid.

I am fed up paying so much in taxes and then paying away a significant proportion of the rest in indirect taxes, duty, charges and licences. Best of it is, no party wants to tackle the issue or do anything about it, as they all fear political slaughter if they actually produce a good policy.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I really need to think about a pension. I'm not far off 24 but haven't really thought much about it; I plan to have saved enough money by the time I've retired to live comfortably, but it's a gamble of course. I'm doing ok so far anyway.

I don't like the ideas of pensions, in that I want all my money in my account now rather than be spoon fed it back by the Government :/.

Soldato
Problem is 28% of people don't make it to retirement. If you work on the basis that you might be one of those 28% then don't bother with a pension and live life to the full now.

Shame we don't have a crystal ball.

You sure the British mortality rate before 65 is that high. Life expentancy is 76 for a man and 81 for a woman I think, It would be much less if 28% of the population didnt reach retirement age of 60 or 65 depending on sex.

Permabanned
OP
I really need to think about a pension. I'm not far off 24 but haven't really thought much about it; I plan to have saved enough money by the time I've retired to live comfortably, but it's a gamble of course. I'm doing ok so far anyway.

I don't like the ideas of pensions, in that I want all my money in my account now rather than be spoon fed it back by the Government :/.

The government knows people don't like or want to think about pensions .. so they make it very VERY financially sensible to have one.

Basically it's TAX FREE. It's (as a rule) better than the best savings account you could ever hope for with regards to the pure wodja you end up with - as long as you don't want the money out until you are 55..

You may not believe this -- but if you don't deal with it in your 20s, in the 30s it becomes so much more painful when your IFA is showing you charts of where you would stand if you were bothered to think about it 10 years ago - then asking you for MASSIVE HIGHER CONTRIBUTIONS to try and match your retirement expectations (and I only want 20K a year for me and the missus when I retire :( :( and the IFA is saying 'can you possibly stretch to £1800 a month contributions so at least we've got a hope of reaching what you want? !!!!

The sad thing is, I wouldn't have even missed that £180 a month .. I just chucked it up the wall :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish a lot I'd done the same.

You'll get to aged 35-40 -- and all your mates will start saying 'oh no oh no oh no' as they realise they're due an old age of total poverty, cutting the heating off during winter because they can't afford it etc ... unless they put in thousands and thousands to try and catch up with people like you ...

I know -- because I am one of those people ..

Thats how am likely to end up along with most people I know, finished paying my morgage years ago but now need a bigger house. I need to get a well payed job to even think about a pension along with a morgage and keeping a family a float. I need to get the finger out... :( I have a feeling that come my time to retire the UK will be like Albania in early 1990s and if thats the case a £500000 pension pot will be like a weeks wages. I hope am wrong.

Soldato
Kicked my pension off at 18 years old, 22 now. Only a measley £160 a month going in there but its better than nothing right?

I did the same, I'm 40ish now and my pension will be worth £765,000 or there abouts at 55, I also have a Royal Marines pension. No company pension as I own the thing.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Gaiden you are sorted mate ....

And if you work past 55 -- you are even better off.

Basically in the game of life you're off to the mansion, whilst I'm in the grotty old person's home! Then again -- as a royal marine you deserve every penny mate ..

Permabanned
OP
So how much does / should everyone put in their pensions monthly?

Started at 35

Put in almost £1800 a month (which is so tough it hurts -- and doing it the rest of my working life).

This will get me and the missus (in todays money) about £1300 a month to share when I retire (inflation linked).

Puts it into perspective eh? Get saving kids ... or live your final years like a jippo!

Permabanned
we had ours stopped despite it being contractual, as long as they give notice they can do it

not according to what I've been told.

if its agreed its agreed. there is no provision for notice to change the pension.

i am not saying they couldn't do it elsewhere, but that would be breaking the agreement.

thats from pcs lawyers, talking particularly about hmrc (in rev/ C&E).

believe what you will, because in my years its apparent people will.

:)

who were you with out of interest?

because i'd be mightly miffed at that. I know long term funding is a problem, but public sector pensions are a monster the government created. i think this is often forgotten. (not perhaps by you)

Last edited:
Caporegime
sounds very high

You sure the British mortality rate before 65 is that high. Life expentancy is 76 for a man and 81 for a woman I think, It would be much less if 28% of the population didnt reach retirement age of 60 or 65 depending on sex.

I think from memory it's 28% from the day you are born but can't find the link atm. However here are the death rates for 35 to 65 year olds in the uk

http://www.heartstats.org/datapage.asp?id=722

From the data if you are 35 today, 20% of men will have died before they are 65.

You have to remember that about 3000 people per year are killed on the road, 4000 suicides, heart attacks, cancer, dangerous sports/activities, murders tec.

Even at 20, the odds of you dying this year in the uk is less than one in 1000

http://www.medicine.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/booth/Risk/Agesex.html

Soldato
Gaiden you are sorted mate ....

And if you work past 55 -- you are even better off.

Basically in the game of life you're off to the mansion, whilst I'm in the grotty old person's home! Then again -- as a royal marine you deserve every penny mate ..

Thanks mate, dunno about the mansion though. I left the Marines a while ago now, dunno what the pension will be as I did 9 years and not the full 22. Hopefully my Son will want to take on the business when I retire at 55, although I expect I'll carry on part-time.

Soldato
Thanks mate, dunno about the mansion though. I left the Marines a while ago now, dunno what the pension will be as I did 9 years and not the full 22. Hopefully my Son will want to take on the business when I retire at 55, although I expect I'll carry on part-time.
Good idea to carry on part time anyway, I know a lot of older folk who gave up work, got bored and snuffed it within a couple of years. No ta!

Back
Top Bottom