What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
@Tuppy_Glossop

I went to the Quarterhouse on Sunday. Really enjoyed it. We ended up sharing the platter with Pastrami, duck, smoked fish etc. Then got the cheeseboard to take home for later in the day which was also good.

At first it seemed a little pricey, but then when we'd finished agreed it was fairly decent value as everything was how you "want" that to taste rather than the stuff you would generally buy in the supermarket. Especially the Pastrami and smoked salmon. The cheese was also a heck of a step up. Although that might've just been because we'd not had decent cheese for a long time!

The only "very mild" disappointment was beer choice. They had some very good beers in, but a lot seemed to be aimed at the 8-10% level with less of a choice in that mid ground where i could have 1 and then drive. Though if i wasn't driving i imagine i'd have left much poorer and very unsteady on my feet :D

Soldato
Awesome. Will give that a go sometime.

Currently in Spain and had a reasonable rating cheap wine my parents have found (cheap as in ~3 euros a bottle). So that could be a decent everyday bottle when we move over!

Called the Miracle which is part Bobal part cab sav.
We had it last time we were here and it was passable but last night the stars aligned and it was decent.

Not ideal that I’ve woken up with a fuzzy head though ahead of a long run race tomorrow!

Soldato
A group of us were at The Ivy Asia opposite St Paul's yesterday. Fab food in a lovely setting and pretty reasonably priced too. A cocktail and a drink each with an array of sides, small dishes and mains all shared, with a dessert medley and it worked out at ~£65 pp

Man of Honour
Took another visit to The Boat Inn just outside Lichfield last night, part of the ever growing dining excellent of my local city. Head chef has become a telly star having now been part of the Midlands chefs on the Great British Menu for the last 2 series.

https://www.theboatinnlichfield.com

I like the place and it can serve some superb food and I sense it is trying to join Lichfield's (and I believe Staffordshire's) first ever Michelin Starred restaurant, https://www.upstairs.restaurant which got its first stare only a few months after opening recently.

The meal was to all intents superb....BUT, the Beef Wellington did have a soggy bottom with some uncooked pastry (easy done but still...) and the unalchaholic cocktails, though decently priced, a mixed experience.

Totally would recommend, but each time I have been something has not quite hit the spot. I think if they iron out those little things they will get starred down the line.

Here is the wellington (Yorkshires at our request....of course) with carrots, beef fat chips and cauliflower cheese.
ZRq4S36.jpg

Here is a pudding
agJavhX.jpg

The star of the night, without question, the beef gravy. It was incredible.

Soldato
Siamais at Brindleyplace in Birmingham. It was our second visit, as I was really keen to see if it was as fantastic as the first time. Many times I've had a great meal at a place only to be disappointed on a return visit.

But not this time, we had one of the set meals again and it was still as good as previously. Though the Lamb dish that was the standout one before, wasnt quite as good this time, but that seemed mainly down to the meat itself not being as tender as previously.

It's quite expensive for a Thai and we're not talking Michelin standard food, but its somewhere I'll look forward to going to whenever in Brum.

Soldato
Stayed at, and ate, at Saorsa 1875 which bills itself as the UK's first vegan hotel. It's located in Pitlochry in Scotland. I had:

Beetroot Millefuille with Beurre Blanc & Parlsey Oil
Jersey Royals with Asparagus, pickled Rhubarb & Buttermilk
Pearl Barley Risotto with Carrot Miso puree, Onion, Hazelnuts & Pak Choi
Plums & Fennel with coffee ice cream.

It was really good. The whole hotel was fantastic and very relaxed. I'm not fully vegan, but eat a predominately vegan diet when at home. However, my partner is fully vegan and I took her here as a birthday treat. Too often vegan options are an afterthought, so it was nice going somewhere that was very vegan. The first two courses were fantastic, with the pickled rhubarb being a great addition. The risotto was nice enough, and a fair size. However, the plums were a total miss. They were poached in something, Port I think, but the plums were so hard. There were only 3 couples in the dining room we were in and there was laughter from everyone as someone tried to cut into the plum for it to go spinning away and a huge 'clunk' could be heard. That being said, it was great and we'd definitely go again though probably just for lunch as it is quite expensive (£325 for a night for 2 + dog, and dinner and breakfast for 2 people).

Worth checking out if you need vegan friendly options in Perthshire.
https://saorsahotel.com/

Soldato
14 Hills. It had an upper class Nandos, lower class Darwin Brasserie vibe. The food sat somewhere in between too. With a G&T at £20 and a half page write up about Tanqueray and Fevertree; I felt a bit conned. Food was OK but the bill for 4 was astronomical.

Soldato
14 Hills. It had an upper class Nandos, lower class Darwin Brasserie vibe. The food sat somewhere in between too. With a G&T at £20 and a half page write up about Tanqueray and Fevertree; I felt a bit conned. Food was OK but the bill for 4 was astronomical.
Jesus - £20 is a bit steep indeed.

Non alcoholic cocktails are £10 each as well

Kids menu made me laugh - Crispy Squid chilli, Grilled Prawns etc - Not your standard kids menu!:cry::cry:

Don
Went here other day

Restaurants In Bangkok | Na-oh Bangkok Co.,ltd. | Krung Thep Maha Nakhon (naohbangkok.com)

Spectacular setting inside an old Lockhead Tristar, food was OK but a bit style over substance but not overly expensive so worth it for the experience

Couple of days after went here

R-HAAN - 2 michelin stars restaurant in Bangkok

Not impressed at all, huge tasting menu, amuse bouche to bill in under 2 hrs, couldn't even keep up with the wine parings

The Seasonal Menus of R-HAAN

and best part of 500 quid for the privilege :(

this place was other extreme, amazing quality food and well under a tenner for 2 of us inc beers

Nameless Thai Local Restaurant, Pattaya City, 210 / 7 Soi Buakhao - Restaurant reviews (restaurantguru.com)

Soldato
I was going to take pictures but unfortunately was too hungry and the food looked too nice. :p
https://www.theblackbearinn.co.uk/
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who fancies something a bit different in South Wales (Just up from Usk)
Proper gastro pub with a wood fire, exposed bricks/beams, great views, dogs allowed, very reasonable drinks prices but the food is top tier.
While we were still there we started organising our next trip there lol.

Soldato
Had a birthday dinner on Friday night at Pidgin in Hackney. As I've never done a tasting menu before I tried not to take loads of photos to ruin the occasion, but my word it was truly wonderful. Particularly the hot cross bun bread pudding brulee, married with the salted butter ice cream and strawberry gel...just.....oh God.

Service was nice and attentive, didn't feel rushed and courses came out promptly.

hHSaqed.jpeg

Photos of the food itself on their own page here Pidgin (@pidginlondon) • Instagram photos and videos

Soldato
@rickjames glad you enjoyed it. I was there a few years ago and the service was terrible. They forgot about our food and drinks on more than one occasion. Empty glasses and no food, not good. I got the impression they had a reviewer on VIP in and we suffered for it. Food was good but service was poor.

In exciting news, I’ve just got a booking for Osteria Francescana in Modena for next week!

Soldato
In exciting news, I’ve just got a booking for Osteria Francescana in Modena for next week!
Awesome! We're back there early July and I'm really pleased to be doing back.

If you have time then I'd also recommend Franceschetta 58. It's another of Bottura's restaurants and is a short walk from the centre of Modena. I'm just booking us in there for July. We're also planning to go to Ristorante Cavallino.

Back
Top Bottom