What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
Awesome! We're back there early July and I'm really pleased to be doing back.

If you have time then I'd also recommend Franceschetta 58. It's another of Bottura's restaurants and is a short walk from the centre of Modena. I'm just booking us in there for July. We're also planning to go to Ristorante Cavallino.
We only booked our trip a few weeks ago, so didn’t expect to get a booking but I was on the website at the weekend and there were two dates available in May. Neither worked for us (one we were in Verona and the other was the day we left from Florence) but it gave me hope something may come up. I’ve been checking every few hours since and a lunch date opened up so I took it!
We were planning on one starred meal as we normally do but didn’t expect it would be this one so we’re quite excited! Only have the day in Modena so it’ll just be this one there.

If you’ve got any suggestions for Florence that would be welcome! I’m thinking Osteria Cinghiale Blanco but appreciate it may be very very touristy. After something tasty and rustic/traditional.

Soldato
Availability changes very often from what I've seen. I would look at the website a couple of times a day and more often than not there would be a booking available. It's an amazing restaurant, one of my absolute avourites.

I can't help with recommendations for Florence, I think it's about 20 years since I've been there.

Soldato
Just booked Unalome by Graeme Cheevers, Glasgow for our 20th Wedding anniversary for lunch.
Never been to a Michelin star restaurant - looking forward to it.

Soldato
A couple of weeks ago we ate at The Hand & Flowers. I expect it'll be the last time.

When covid started kicking off they sold off a number of 'golden tickets' which got an overnight stay in one of the rooms and 3 course dinner for two. Cost of the ticket was £250 which was a bit of a bargain so I bought one. We used that golden ticket during our visit so just had to pay for sides & drinks.

The reason this will have been our last visit is that the prices there have gone nuts. I had a steak for my main course. It was a very nice steak, but it was £85. There were no chips with it, they didn't even have them on the menu as a side.

The menu is also a lot smaller than it used to be, there's just 4 main courses to choose from.

They've cheaped out on the rooms too, we've stayed over a few times and you used to get some sweet treats waiting for you, usually lardy cake and some other nice home made baked goods. This time the treats were a pack of crisps (singular) and 2 small bars of chocolate. That room alone will set you back £350.

The Hand & Flowers used to be pretty good value and it's somewhere we used to often go to. It's now nothing short of a rip off. I worked out that had we paid full price for our visit it would have been north of £800. It's not worth anything like that.

Soldato
I was looking at booking the hand and flowers for next week and then noticed the prices. Including service that's over £100 for steak and chips! I've been before and it's not worth that sort of money. We'll be visiting The Coach down the road instead I think

Soldato
I was looking at booking the hand and flowers for next week and then noticed the prices. Including service that's over £100 for steak and chips! I've been before and it's not worth that sort of money. We'll be visiting The Coach down the road instead I think

Yeah, save your money and go elsewhere. Chips weren't available when we were there which was a disappointment as I've had their chips in the past and they've been really good.

Associate
Not sure if this counts as a 'restaurant', but Popped into a Wendy's for the first time. Didn't try the square burgers though as I went for the spicy chicken burger (next time). Impressed by the sides - jackets and loaded fries, opted for the cheesy chilli fries. Nice. The vanilla ice thing was good, although not quite an ice cream and not quite a milkshake. Good though, will be back, cost £25 for the family :)

Soldato
UNALOME by Graeme Cheevers last Wednesday

Never been to any Michelin star restaurants before - wasn't sure what to expect. 20th Wedding Anniversary for us.

Menu....

Was very nice experience.... Lovely service, not rushed at all, also didn't feel long waiting between courses - We didn't do the wine flight as I was driving and Missus thought it would be harsh to have it on her own!! :cry:

Canapes were lovely, great little start. Nice explanation of each one and I forgot to get a picture as they got eaten quickly!!

Mackerel was a bit disappointing..... Just didn't really get much from it... Poorest dish for me. Just a bit flavourless overall...

Scallop was outstanding.... Superb.

Mushrooms was a nice dish. Enjoyed.

No pictures - forgot

Monkfish. Again superb, loved this.

Pigeon was good, flavours were great, pigeon was nice but didn't blow me away.

Cheese board was excellent, guy was great in explaining everything and nicely presented on the trolley etc. Good chat with him.

Strawberrys was excellent, very fresh and clean..

Final plate with small petit four were amazing.... Great way to finish.

Overall, very nice, enjoyable experience... Maybe ever so slightly lacking something that really wowed me, but certainly no complaints. £110 for the tasting menu. Wife did the vegetarian one and whilst enjoyable, (mushroom dish and strawberries were the same) - she said it wasn't that exciting overall. Very nice but again, just had a few dishes that didn't really have that wow factor about them.

Soldato
We went to L'Enclume on Saturday night. I don't know why but it wasn't somewhere that really appealed all that much but a couple of colleagues have been recently and they spoke very highly of it.

It was a fantastic evening, really fantastic. We're planning to go back next year.

Caporegime
Went to Land again for lunch today. £45 for 6 courses is seriously good value given how good the food is, even if it is all plant based.

tazv85.jpg

tazeuC.jpg

tazSmv.jpg

tazzZ2.jpg

tazHU9.jpg

tazO7o.jpg

tazKym.jpg

taz3QZ.jpg

tazZF3.jpg

Soldato
Looks good. I'm a fan of these more affordable taster menu places popping up. I love the concept and trying new/different things, but i'll happily accept i don't have the appreciation of the finer nuances you tend to get at high end places and so a lot of the cost seems wasted on me.

Going somewhere like Six by Nico or the above and spending £150 for 2 people is much more acceptable vs spending £400!

Caporegime
Forgot to post this the other day. Went to The Rooftop in Stratford-Upon-Avon for lunch.

Been a few times in the past and it's such a great spot.

Buttermilk bang bang chicken, sweet chilli glaze, satay dressing, Asian salad, toasted sesame seeds, coriander

1iQIlH.jpg

Pan-fried fillet of Guilt-head bream, roasted Provencal vegetables, rosti, samphire, Spanish paprika sausage, salsa verde

1iQ0kx.jpg

Soldato
Spent NYE in Nottingham, including dinner at Everyday People, which was bloody ace.

Best tan tan men I've ever had (including my years living in Asia and trips to Japan!) the broth was sublime.

Duck bao bun starter was delicious, beautifully tender rare duck breast.

Highly recommended if you're in Notts, good wines too, and decent value for the quality (90 quid for two of us, three courses and a bottle of wine).

Soldato
We went to L'Enclume on Saturday night. I don't know why but it wasn't somewhere that really appealed all that much but a couple of colleagues have been recently and they spoke very highly of it.

It was a fantastic evening, really fantastic. We're planning to go back next year.

I loved L'Enclume, did they do the beetroot gel on a dehydrated leaf?

I was surprised the other day, recommended The Raby Hunt to my boss, but it's now something like £260 per head and he wasn't convinced anything is worth that much, spoiler, it is!

I did however book Hjem in Northumberland for my birthday in Feb, being *only* 1 star and fairly new its *only* £120 per head.

Back
Top Bottom