What TV shows are you currently watching

Caporegime
Literally just finished my 3rd watch of season 1 since it came out.

Season 1 is an absolute masterpiece and I've never watched any series so well acted and story so thorough, cohesive and believable.
season one is like a hannibal rip off. its good but hannibal really nailed it. season 4 was a weird series. not bad but season 1 is only reason to watch it.

Soldato
season one is like a hannibal rip off. its good but hannibal really nailed it. season 4 was a weird series. not bad but season 1 is only reason to watch it.
Hannibal series? That's high praise. I'll have to give season 1 a go.

Season 4 of TD was watchable though in comparison to season 1 it was crud.

Soldato
Started watching 'The Fall' it's something I've put off watching despite the ratings, as the backdrop of Northern Ireland isn't exactly scenic, and I generally don't like shows with strong regional accents.

A couple of episodes in, and I'm enjoying it so far.

There is something about the way a lot of shows are filmed in the UK that I don't like. This isn't directed at the fall but a lot of UK shows in general.

It's like they can't afford or are adverse to using wider angle lenses, everything is super close up.

They seem to be in a hurry, so don't really do establishing shots, or anything slow and atmospheric.

They always seem to have to have camera movement. Like they never heard of a fixed camera, and when moving it's like they don't have a gimbal or equivalent stabilisation.

Caporegime
Started watching 'The Fall' it's something I've put off watching despite the ratings, as the backdrop of Northern Ireland isn't exactly scenic, and I generally don't like shows with strong regional accents.

There is something about the way a lot of shows are filmed in the UK that I don't like. This isn't directed at the fall but a lot of UK shows in general.

It's like they can't afford or are adverse to using wider angle lenses, everything is super close up.

They seem to be in a hurry, so don't really do establishing shots, or anything slow and atmospheric.

They always seem to have to have camera movement. Like they never heard of a fixed camera, and when moving it's like they don't have a gimbal or equivalent stabilisation.
It's on a BBC budget, they likely can't afford to do stuff like that.

A good podcast explaining such things with a UK slant is 'The Rest is Entertainment'

Associate
Rewatching Lost with the GF as it's been what, 14 years since the show ended and we wanted to see how well it's aged.

It's funny, I hadn't quite realized how much that show had shaped not just my taste, but pretty much every high budget TV drama since it's release. I think this and Desperate Housewives' paved the way for massive budget serialized dramas to be the norm for the future, especially when you look at the dross primetime TV was comprised of in American around that time (2003-10). All the money is on screen and because it was shot in 35mm it looks as though it was made yesterday.

I don't think any show outside of something like GoTs has perhaps had that watercooler effect since Lost, but unlike GoTs the plot twists, themes and character motifs haven't aged particularly well and at times some of the writing can be a little cringe.

Overall however it still makes for really compelling viewing. We're on Season 2 now and I'm interested to see if the shows rotten later seasons can be be enjoyed with 14 years of space.

I loved it and have seen it all twice! I'll happily watch it all again!

So hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I'm half way through the second season of Bodies and it definitely isn't as good as the first one.

Although slightly relieved about that if I'm honest because the first season was so hard hitting.

Perhaps it is coz I'm female so it was a bit more eye opening to see the medieval torture, that many of us women have to go through, in order to give birth and all the possible complications.

Caporegime
Hannibal series? That's high praise. I'll have to give season 1 a go.

Season 4 of TD was watchable though in comparison to season 1 it was crud.
season 1 is the best its sorta like hannibal in how its shot and produced. hannibal was one of my fav series. but yeah season one of true detective is probably the best..

Caporegime
I'm half way through the second season of Bodies and it definitely isn't as good as the first one.

Although slightly relieved about that if I'm honest because the first season was so hard hitting.

Perhaps it is coz I'm female so it was a bit more eye opening to see the medieval torture, that many of us women have to go through, in order to give birth and all the possible complications.

There's a second season of Bodies?????????????????????

Caporegime
Hannibal started off OK but quickly became baaaaaaad.

Like… baaaaaaaaad.
some people miss so many things which are literally genius level. very slight and aimed at the sharper viewer and can be easily missed. one part there is a german reference and a shadow comes through a cell bar window which lands on a sink where the sink hole is and makes a hitler moustache. its really that good but you either get it or dont. its not even a main scene either. i wish people would put the same kind of level of detail into shows as hannibal.

american gods started off similar but sadly ended badly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
some people miss so many things which are literally genius level. very slight and aimed at the sharper viewer and can be easily missed. one part there is a german reference and a shadow comes through a cell bar window which lands on a sink where the sink hole is and makes a hitler moustache. its really that good but you either get it or dont. its not even a main scene either. i wish people would put the same kind of level of detail into shows as hannibal.

american gods started off similar but sadly ended badly.

Eh, I don’t doubt the detail but I found the constant ‘ramping up’ too silly - such as Hannibal still giving treatment to the protagonist after all they have been through, which makes absolutely no sense for anyone to allow… oh, and the bit where they try to grow a human baby in a pig (?!).

Back
Top Bottom