• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
GTX 1080 still going strong, think I might crack when prices aren't utterly insane!
Truly though. I don't feel the urge for a new GPU as I basically just play a few silly games with friends or single player on the deck.
I never thought it would be this way and I almost certainly would have bought something in the last few years had the prices been tasteful because I still had the itch, but there are more important things to spend that money on at this point, especially with the cost of living continually going up.
Plus I've been gaming for long enough that I feel like I've seen it all. A few more shiny things don't really make it more enjoyable when most games that require the horsepower don't really offer anything else I've not seen before.
I'm probably going to stick to mobile devices for the foreseeable future as they give me more flexibility and so far don't break the bank.

Associate
Maybe it's me, but I haven't built a PC in years but its looking like £500-£1000 is the 'norm' for graphics cards where I felt like 10 years ago it was £300 for something in the upper end. Seems a little insane to me!

I spent £2,700 building my PC in 2012 and it was amazing GTX 690 I think, felt like I was years ahead of console which I was at the time, my 1st ever PC was in 2008 cost me about £800-1000 when it was all said and done and at that price I still preferred my Xbox 360 :cry: think I had an 8800GT was trying to play Crysis but couldn't compete then.

I just checked my old emails GTX 690 £733.29

Last edited:
Soldato
I just checked my old emails GTX 690 £733.29

That's £1010 in today's money for a dual gpu card that was most expensive card at the time, now you get a 4080 Super for that after the price drop of the 4080 at £1200. :cry: . Just proving how bad things have got now. BUT BUT inflation.... that is what it costs with inflation in March 2024.

Associate
That's £1010 in today's money for a dual gpu card that was most expensive card at the time, now you get a 4080 Super for that after the price drop of the 4080 at £1200. :cry: . Just proving how bad things have got now. BUT BUT inflation.... that is what it costs with inflation in March 2024.
Makes me wish I was more into PC gaming at that time, could have had a decent run of going all out, for much fairer prices than now, especially when you factor in the initial outlay, set you up nicely for GPU focused upgrades at the time. Truthfully I'd still be on console if they had ran some more of the games I wanted at 120hz, but eventually I decided I just wanted the all out performance offered on PC again.

I'll only go back for potentially console exclusive titles (used to have way more of these, to keep you on there) so UFL Football and GTA 6 are the main ones that may force the repurchase of a Series S/X or PS5 Pro /Future Xbox

But isn't PC gaming more popular than ever apparently? not at the enthusiast end perhaps, but just across the board?

Soldato

Also remember inflation in the places where the parts are made is much lower,and many of the components cost less compared to 2020/2021(GDDR6 for example).

G J

G J

Associate
Ala prices and inflation.

I paid £400 for a Sega Saturn in 1994. I can get a PS5 for less than that 30 years later.

Inflation has nothing to with it :D

Maybe but also the console crowd will pretty much shun anything above a certain price point or threaten to buy the competitions console meanwhile a lot of people in the PC space will bitch and complain but many will still buy.

Associate
Maybe but also the console crowd will pretty much shun anything above a certain price point or threaten to buy the competitions console meanwhile a lot of people in the PC space will bitch and complain but many will still buy.
PS3 vs Xbox 360 best example of that in the console space. Actually helped the Xbox gain a foothold, only for them to lose it with their marketing stupidity.

Associate
PS3 vs Xbox 360 best example of that in the console space. Actually helped the Xbox gain a foothold, only for them to lose it with their marketing stupidity.

360 was a glitch for Sony. They saw off Sega with PS1 and PS2, they never saw the 360 coming. Was a pirates dream. Fact is Sony made it "cool" to say you owned a console.

Sega and Nintendo never had that street cred. Microsoft never will, even if they stick a 5090 in their next machine, Sony will still outsell them with a 7900xtx in theirs :D.

And I sat this as someone who has owned at least 2 consoles from each generation dating back to the NES/Mastersytem.
I've loved the console wars over the years, maybe the AMD/Nvidia war a bit less. But that kinda turned into a massacre didn't it :D

Associate
360 was a glitch for Sony. They saw off Sega with PS1 and PS2, they never saw the 360 coming. Was a pirates dream. Fact is Sony made it "cool" to say you owned a console.

Sega and Nintendo never had that street cred. Microsoft never will, even if they stick a 5090 in their next machine, Sony will still outsell them with a 7900xtx in theirs :D.

And I sat this as someone who has owned at least 2 consoles from each generation dating back to the NES/Mastersytem.
I've loved the console wars over the years, maybe the AMD/Nvidia war a bit less. But that kinda turned into a massacre didn't it :D

I'd have to agree I've always preferred the Xbox since it launched, but the same can't be said for many others, they also had that early Xbox live baked in advantage to go with the pirating, which was a major selling point for me. Having said that my 1st online gaming experiences happened on the PSP... then the Xbox 360.

Yeah whatever Sony release will no doubt do better. MS lost the mindshare and goodwill they had once cultivated for most consumers, so their solution is to sell all their games where anyone will accept them, and try and bring epic/steam onto their console. (Why not just make an Xbox Branded PC at that point, and put it in a well designed box, and blow the PS out of the water if only on specs)

My main reason for switching to xbox was it had better graphics (literally nothing else to it) so I was a specs 1st sort of gamer as a child I guess, and I also preferred the controller analog stick placement. If I didn't care for either of those I would have stuck with PS my whole life probably.

As for staying on topic, I'm thinking the 5090 will be an expensive beast, but I'll get FOMO I reckon even though there probably is probably very little reason to get one, except to hopefully run CP2077 nicely at native :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Depressing tbh, still on my vega56 I got for £250 with 3 AAA games (division 2, resi2 and DMC5). I know I'll never get a deal like that ever again, but fck me is the GPU market depressing these days. Nvidia gimping their otherwise capable cards with barely existent framebuffers is unconscionable.

Pop in occasionally for deals, I either miss them or they don't exist. I can't get into the marketplace forum either in case there's anyone trustworthy there wanting to flog their old gear.

Soldato
Feels like even the second hand GPUs are affected as well, they hold their value way more, even years out of warranty.
There are 35 million Steam users online on evenings these days and they all need a GPU.

Ala prices and inflation.

I paid £400 for a Sega Saturn in 1994. I can get a PS5 for less than that 30 years later.

Inflation has nothing to with it :D
The PS2 is still the most sold console 20+ years later. The console userbase has experienced zero growth ;)

Gaming market segments that have experienced explosive growth such as Mobile and PC gaming, you can see that reflecting on their hardware prices.

Last edited:
Associate
There are 35 million Steam users online on evenings these days and they all need a GPU.

The PS2 is still the most sold console 20+ years later. The console userbase has experienced zero growth ;)

Gaming market segments that have experienced explosive growth such as Mobile and PC gaming, you can see that reflecting on their hardware prices.
PS2_anim-ventes.gif

To be fair the PS2 was the only game in town. With PS4/5 generation there was XONE at like 60 million and Switch at 140 mill.

Soldato
To be fair the PS2 was the only game in town. With PS4/5 generation there was XONE at like 60 million and Switch at 140 mill.
You are forgetting the Nintendo DS which sold gangbusters which was what the Switch is these days.

Add up Dreamcast, cube and xbox and you get roughly the same 60 million XONE numbers. Like I said console gaming userbase is completely stagnant.

In fact this generation everything is underperforming. Xbox is at it's deathrow and PSN userbase is shrinking. However, Helldivers 2 being so successful on Steam will surely boost PSN numbers but that's all PC gamers.

Meanwhile active Steam userbase set another record two weeks ago ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom