What you come up with
That could range from quite simple
To complicated enough you need to make
Your own software
Which I wouldn't put past you being able to do
You're a woman of many talents

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
If you don't already have a sound meter and you want to have a play with it on the low cost path (helping save pennies for that CNC upgrade :D) I would suggest you take a look at the iNVH app from Bosch, the free version is good for getting an indication on overall sound levels (have to pay to get the good stuff like the frequency isolation features but the NVH guys I've worked with seem to like it as a good ballparking tool). You just have to remember to keep the measurement locations and conditions consitent test to test if you want to make meaningful comparisons (typical 1m away from source but that's not always practical). I feel that I may be just feeding the experimentation bug more though now :D
....of course I have a sound meter, it's a gadget! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Got a pretty accurate one actually - eg 0.0125s/time response, think around 1 dB accurate, so it'll be great for catching all the oddities of PC whines! You've definitely fed the monster though, I feel a video coming up on this...!

On conductivity (meant thermal/electrical on the two points above) - for sound, wood will be way better in lots of ways - just pure density will dampen sound, but resonance (whilst still way lower than metal) is worth consideration - case are just a big echo chamber after all! Hence a lower shore-rated TPU could be awesome for this.

That's looking good!

On rasterised vs vectorised, I am interested but I may well be in the minority as usualy there (always interesting to see considerations for other things, they often turn out to be useul in unexpected ways). However, in the interests of safety I'll be interested "from afar"; the last time I used a CNC machine I ended up being blamed for putting a large score in the bed of the brand new CNC machine at my high school on the day it was comissioned (as the first user too...). In my defense I blame the clamp that disintegrated, pretty sure I was the only pupil to ever use that and the teachers took over all "loading and hitting go" responsibilites after that :cry:
:cry::cry::cry::cry: Definitely not your fault, lack of smart features definitely!

Associate
OP
The brain part yeah that's a whole
Different ball game
That will also be interesting to see
What you come up with
That could range from quite simple
To complicated enough you need to make
Your own software
Which I wouldn't put past you being able to do
You're a woman of many talents
Come on McNumpty, of course I'm going to go hard route....! Writing the code to integrate it to not just the case, but the whole house! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Associate
....of course I have a sound meter, it's a gadget! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Got a pretty accurate one actually - eg 0.0125s/time response, think around 1 dB accurate, so it'll be great for catching all the oddities of PC whines! You've definitely fed the monster though, I feel a video coming up on this...!
You know how gadgets go: there's always another one you don't know you don't have :cry:

On conductivity (meant thermal/electrical on the two points above) - for sound, wood will be way better in lots of ways - just pure density will dampen sound, but resonance (whilst still way lower than metal) is worth consideration - case are just a big echo chamber after all! Hence a lower shore-rated TPU could be awesome for this.
My electrical bias showing through... I saw static and went "electricity only", but you are right. There's always sound deadening fabrics too if the TPU print doesn't fit aesthetically.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Definitely not your fault, lack of smart features definitely!
I think having a computer attached to it was assumed to make it smart by the one responsible for buying it

Associate
OP
My electrical bias showing through... I saw static and went "electricity only", but you are right. There's always sound deadening fabrics too if the TPU print doesn't fit aesthetically.

Heheh, yes indeed - yes I think there's load of cool things to consider. Welcome thoughts, but here's my starting point/thinking on sound dampening:

- Mass Law - initially there's Berger's law - ie doubling the mass of an object increases it's sound insulation by 6dB. This is why most commercial cases will die in a ditch vs wood before the game has even begun.
- Frequency response of materials - metal is terrible here - particularly for high pitched sounds (whine) vs lower hum of fans. Wood should be very strong here naturally.
- Vibration Isolation - obviously metal is also horrendous in this aspect also and transmits - hence need for foam pads etc. Wood is better, but not perfect here - so this is one place your TPU idea will be brilliant.
- Sound absorption - as cases are effectively echo chambers, I'll need to test how sound waves are transmitted/deflected - I 'think' the design and the components themselves should offer pretty good diffusion and I've got some deliberate design decisions to create sound baffles to more sensitive areas (eg the front of the case where there's acrylic frontage and more gaps in the wood)

All in all, I do think wood has huge natural advantages over bog-standard cases and then will a small amount of thought, I should be able to get some pretty stellar reductions in sound....! Do shout if I'm missing something obvious though!

Associate
Heheh, yes indeed - yes I think there's load of cool things to consider. Welcome thoughts, but here's my starting point/thinking on sound dampening:

- Mass Law - initially there's Berger's law - ie doubling the mass of an object increases it's sound insulation by 6dB. This is why most commercial cases will die in a ditch vs wood before the game has even begun.
- Frequency response of materials - metal is terrible here - particularly for high pitched sounds (whine) vs lower hum of fans. Wood should be very strong here naturally.
- Vibration Isolation - obviously metal is also horrendous in this aspect also and transmits - hence need for foam pads etc. Wood is better, but not perfect here - so this is one place your TPU idea will be brilliant.
- Sound absorption - as cases are effectively echo chambers, I'll need to test how sound waves are transmitted/deflected - I 'think' the design and the components themselves should offer pretty good diffusion and I've got some deliberate design decisions to create sound baffles to more sensitive areas (eg the front of the case where there's acrylic frontage and more gaps in the wood)

All in all, I do think wood has huge natural advantages over bog-standard cases and then will a small amount of thought, I should be able to get some pretty stellar reductions in sound....! Do shout if I'm missing something obvious though!

The only obvious-ish thing is the reminder "it may not be be necessary" given the amount of mass and hunting down the causes of specific accoustics can be a real pain to do (thankfully we aren't talking squeaks and rattles in a car)!

Associate
OP
Here's a friendly poke given what you've said before @katie279 don't forget to actually log what you're doing :p
Poke taken! I was filming assembling the PC today, so I'll post that once done! (Figured I should check everything actually works before I start plonking it inside the case!)

Have lots of videos and photos already of the wood cutting and some other parts, so I'm trying to capture as much as possible!!

Associate
Love the concept! Out of interest what CNC and laser are you running? I've got a datron CNC and a Trotec at work but need something a bit closer to home

Soldato
Poke taken! I was filming assembling the PC today, so I'll post that once done! (Figured I should check everything actually works before I start plonking it inside the case!)

Have lots of videos and photos already of the wood cutting and some other parts, so I'm trying to capture as much as possible!!
Yeah absolutely
Should breadboard the parts before putting
Them into the case
Lot of people don't especially with a
Custom watercooling build surprisingly
Then if something is DOA it's a PITA

Was a removable motherboard tray part of the design?
Means can build the parts on that
For testing
Then plonk it into the case
Not exactly a must have feature
But still useful

Associate
OP
Yeah absolutely
Should breadboard the parts before putting
Them into the case
Lot of people don't especially with a
Custom watercooling build surprisingly
Then if something is DOA it's a PITA

Was a removable motherboard tray part of the design?
Means can build the parts on that
For testing
Then plonk it into the case
Not exactly a must have feature
But still useful
Yes, thinking about having it slot in using a dado groove in the walnut. Will make it easier to whip it out and in if I want! Was musing through the mechanics of the lid design yesterday actually - leaning towards a magnetic fixing at the moment...

Associate
OP
Right, finally got a chance to unbox and actually test all these components so I can a) get proper measurements and b) make sure they flippin work before I start flinging them into a walnut case!

Oh and I took your tips on sound and used a mic, but then didn't turn it on for most of the video.... :cry::cry::cry::cry: I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but next time maybe!!

Soldato
Well you passed the
This person is irritating or boring
Let's just fast forward to the hardware bits Test :)
Not only talented
But you're charismatic too

We really should make an effort
And get you more subscribers
You deserve way way more than you have

Actually That makes me wonder
Anyone know of a thread in the forums
Where you recommend interesting youtube channels?

Associate
Right, finally got a chance to unbox and actually test all these components so I can a) get proper measurements and b) make sure they flippin work before I start flinging them into a walnut case!

Oh and I took your tips on sound and used a mic, but then didn't turn it on for most of the video.... :cry::cry::cry::cry: I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but next time maybe!!
Audio was still pretty good (on my phone at least) if you were trying to get us to spot where it switched over.

Regarding "the incident" we've all been there. Look at it this way: now you have proved that both positions work as intended and your shakedown is a bit more complete than you thought :D

Associate
Oh don't you worry about that - just want to get thoughts early on layout to avoid massive rework when someone points out I've got the motherboard the wrong way round or something!
It's getting more bonkers by the day, little sneak peek below!
vUuiJou.jpg

Side panel will be carved wood with a glass/acrylic cut out I think - will look nice with the LEDs shining through little gaps in the walnut.

Thinking of a blend from industrial/sci-fi sort of feel to an organic effect.
Wow that is beautiful. Would love a magnetic mesh cover like this.

Soldato
@katie279
I mentioned earlier somewhere
About a thread for useful youtube links etc
Actually does seem to be one
So you could promote your channel in there?

Ps.
That latest short video, very cheeky lol
Definitely a couple of points on there
That linus and Jay won't have :cry:

Back
Top Bottom