Whisperwood

Associate
OP
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Wow this looks like it's going to be great! So unique. I've been eyeing up that fractal case with the wooden front for a future build but love the idea of a full wooden build like this.

Think you can tell you've caught people's attention from the number of suggestions already in this thread, everyone wants to see it come out well. Looking forward to following along.
Thank you! :) Well it'll either be great or a total disaster, but I'd prefer to try something crazy!!!

Soldato
Sorry, this was a 3d print! This I'm pondering testing a vinyl insert on tomorrow - if it works, I'll use this for the control panel part.

The broader case will be out of walnut, but I'm trying a CNC test tomorrow in MDF/ply. I have a concern with the temps at the moment being so low, it might be below the wood glue operating temps. So I might need to wait until the weekend when the temperature is a little warmer to glue up the walnut planks for the final cut....!

Although I could just rig up the 4090 a bit early and that'd heat the garage nicely..... ;)

CNC is an OxCNC I built myself - planning to build a linear rail based one maybe later in the year.... !

Time to invest in a heater then :cry:, i mean you've come this far, what's another few hundred quid for a heating system so you can work in any condition.

Associate
OP
Time to invest in a heater then :cry:, i mean you've come this far, what's another few hundred quid for a heating system so you can work in any condition.
Yes, indeed - although it's less the money, more the idea of putting an electric heater in a dust-filled, wood shaving, turpentine-tinted rich environment that fills me with a touch of terror...... :cry:

Are there any workshop-safe style heaters?!

Soldato
Yes, indeed - although it's less the money, more the idea of putting an electric heater in a dust-filled, wood shaving, turpentine-tinted rich environment that fills me with a touch of terror...... :cry:

Are there any workshop-safe style heaters?!

Get a blower style, i workmate of mine who does tinting and PPF uses a blower style that's safe in sensitive environments. Only concern then would be the noise, it's stupendously noisy but if your CNC router is anything on an industrial scale then its probably equally as noisy :cry:.

I would have it setup at the back of your garage so it blows through and out of your garage door so its not circulating the dust around, win win really.

Associate
OP
Get a blower style, i workmate of mine who does tinting and PPF uses a blower style that's safe in sensitive environments. Only concern then would be the noise, it's stupendously noisy but if your CNC router is anything on an industrial scale then its probably equally as noisy :cry:.

I would have it setup at the back of your garage so it blows through and out of your garage door so its not circulating the dust around, win win really.
Yeah, it's less about me being warm (I can rough the cold fine), it's more about the glue temps - so I'd need to leave it running in the garage overnight and I guess manage the speed of the heater to keep it above 5C, but not turning the garage into a sauna.... ! I'll have a muse.....! It should be warmer in a day or two anyway, so fingers crossed I should be able to crack on regardless!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, it's less about me being warm (I can rough the cold fine), it's more about the glue temps - so I'd need to leave it running in the garage overnight and I guess manage the speed of the heater to keep it above 5C, but not turning the garage into a sauna.... ! I'll have a muse.....! It should be warmer in a day or two anyway, so fingers crossed I should be able to crack on regardless!

Alternatively, redecorate, add insulation, plaster board the garage and seal off your garage door. That'll be more than sufficient though i probably would look at some sort of flooring too.

We're talking big bucks then though, getting contractors in etc unless you're handy.

Thought about doing this myself tbh, desperately running out of room upstairs as i've already turned the spare bedroom into a studio for photography :cry:.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've always loved cases made from wood as they have a certain warmth (in a good way) and such a difference from the norm.

Thinking totally off the wall, if your motherboard was mounted horizontally and you could defy the laws of thermodynamics for a 7950X, a heatsink made of copper shaped like a tree with it's heatpipes etc would be amazing.

AI gets pretty close to what I was thinking -

embed

Soldato
I've always loved cases made from wood as they have a certain warmth (in a good way) and such a difference from the norm.

Thinking totally off the wall, if your motherboard was mounted horizontally and you could defy the laws of thermodynamics for a 7950X, a heatsink made of copper shaped like a tree with it's heatpipes etc would be amazing.

embed

Only problem i can think of with it being made out of wood... Wood being a natural insulator so she probably needs to add plenty of ventilation holes to omit this from happening.

Soldato
Oh she's more than handy. Instagram full of pictures renovating kitchens and whatnot single-handedly.

Oh just reminded me! Shipped your tubing out yesterday, should be with you before the end of the week :D.

Need something to read while im on holiday so please update your build log :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Alternatively, redecorate, add insulation, plaster board the garage and seal off your garage door. That'll be more than sufficient though i probably would look at some sort of flooring too.

We're talking big bucks then though, getting contractors in etc unless you're handy.

Thought about doing this myself tbh, desperately running out of room upstairs as i've already turned the spare bedroom into a studio for photography :cry:.
Well I've no issue doing the work, but lose those big doors??? How would I get the plywood in and the planer thicknesser out!! :cry:

I have a plan for later this year though... going to build another workshop myself....!

Associate
OP

You're totally right, I'm not a big fan of the soulless look of technology - ie whether your phone, your TV, your pc or anything else, they're just plastic and aluminium minimalist boxes. Whereas look at a piece of wood and it exudes life and feeling....!

You're as bonkers as me!! I love this idea! Not for this project, but I think that's a great idea - I'm going to have a think about that - it'd be amazing to do, I reckon I could manage something like that using my laser cutter and multiple sheets of copper. I'll add it to the list - but I think I'll test it with a less expensive CPU first.... :cry::cry::cry:

embed

Associate
OP
Only problem i can think of with it being made out of wood... Wood being a natural insulator so she probably needs to add plenty of ventilation holes to omit this from happening.
Yes, thought this too - although I was surprised that the usual aluminium panels of a normal case don't really move much heat in the grand scheme of things (basically it's the airflow that cools pcs, not heat dissipating through the case wall).

Regardless I've been thinking a fair bit about airflow/cooling - check my YouTube video or earlier posts in this thread which touches on the design, but basically I'll have some pretty pointy airflow and some optimised vents and this should keep it reasonably cool...!

Soldato
Yeah its more about wood retaining the heat, more so than metal would as its a natural insulator. But with proper airflow it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom