Why does sunscreen have VAT on it?

Associate
Is it right that I should have to pay VAT on something that will (hopefully) protect me from getting melanoma?
Why don't you just cover up in light clothes and a cap?
It is much safer than plastering yourself in synthetic chemicals, then baking it into your skin in the burning hot sun.

Soldato
What has Europe got to do with British tax law?

The EU sets the broad VAT rules through European VAT Directives. This includes what can and can't be included in the various rates. At one stage the Government wanted to include more in the zero rate band but the EU disagreed.

Permabanned
The EU are an absolute pest.

Just this week I had to send all my details to Brussels about one of my businesses...what has it got to do with Europe I don't even trade there.

How long until the EU decides to charge a tax on top of HMRC? Why else do they want all these details?

Soldato
The EU are an absolute pest.

Just this week I had to send all my details to Brussels about one of my businesses...what has it got to do with Europe I don't even trade there.

How long until the EU decides to charge a tax on top of HMRC? Why else do they want all these details?

They can't do that in the UK.

Permabanned
OP
I guess the rational is that you can stay in the shade and wear long sleeve clothing and a sun hat, avoid going out in the mid day sun etc., all of which is likely much healthier.

Sitting on a sunbed by a pool etc. is not something that should entice VAT savings but many outdoor sports could be seen as a benefit. The bigger question is should things like hiking boots, sports clothes and equipment etc etc. be VAT free? In general it is in the government's best interest toi have people partaking in lots of sports. Biut this opens up so many gray area questions (is darts a sport worthy of being omitted from VAT?)

Insightful post and something I hadn't thought about. Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Caporegime
The EU sets the broad VAT rules through European VAT Directives. This includes what can and can't be included in the various rates. At one stage the Government wanted to include more in the zero rate band but the EU disagreed.

I understand that, but the individual governments are able to set their own vat rates I thought, fair enough.

Man of Honour
Cold mud, what a luxury! When I was a lad the only fruit we had all year long was an orange. We had it at Chrismas time. It had to be shared by my ten bothers and sisters, the rest of the family and had to last until the New Year. We were the lucky ones as the folks next door had to share a date.

Eating fruit? What a luxury! When I was a lad the only fruit we got to see was watching next doors kids lick a date on Christmas day.

Soldato
In which case you get your employer to provide it as PPE or claim tax relief if you are self-employed.

Can you imagine walking up to a big Irish foreman. "Mick... I think we should have free suncream on site, I'm burning quite badly"

I don't know about VAT but a big floppy sun hat is cheap enough. Tend to wear a hat to protect my face, my body hair does the rest.

Tell that to the youth of today and they won't believe you... :D

Oh I don't know, I mean I wouldn't say I enjoyed being poor but it had it's upsides. You learnt to make the most out of everything, fix anything and all kinds of ways to make money go further.

Back
Top Bottom