Why does sunscreen have VAT on it?

Man of Honour
Soldato
I'm after a source where you stated that the EU prevented the UK having more zero rated VAT applicable items.

Hate to quote wikipedia but it sums it up:

I wouldn't be able to get a source saying "UK Gov wants to zero rate more goods but that dang EU are preventing us". Things like that are talked about off the record. You would need to believe me or not unfortunately. The EU really don't like zero rate VAT though.

Man of Honour
Hate to quote wikipedia but it sums it up:

I wouldn't be able to get a source saying "UK Gov wants to zero rate more goods but that dang EU are preventing us". Things like that are talked about off the record. You would need to believe me or not unfortunately. The EU really don't like zero rate VAT though.

That was fine, I just wanted an understanding of why the EU may prevent zero rated items. We could reduce the VAT rate to 5% on other items from what I gather?

Soldato
Why? Most people treat glasses as a vanity/fashion item, whereas the bog standard el cheapo frames that do the job are a lot cheaper.

Because people need them to SEE? I certainly don't view mine as a vanity items. I bet most of the other 33mil+ people who need them don't either. Its just a money sink for the government from peoples disabilitys.

What does any of this have to do with an essential item for someones life being charged VAT.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because people need them to SEE? I certainly don't view mine as a vanity items. I bet most of the other 33mil+ people who need them don't either. Its just a money sink for the government from peoples disabilitys.

What does any of this have to do with an essential item for someones life being charged VAT.
Like I said. The lenses matter, but you sure as hell don't need a pair of expensive designer specs. "Designer"/fashionable frames are a vanity item. As for it being a money sink don't be ridiculous. People opt for the more expensive frames because they want them: you can get "nhs" glasses for free or next to nothing.

Remove vat from the lenses, and leave vat on the frames.

I think part of what you're referring too is the VAT levied on dispensing services which I agree should be abolished. Also of note is the fact that Customs and Excise don't consider Optics to be medical care - which says an awful lot about the view that this country has towards opticians.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Like I said. The lenses matter, but you sure as hell don't need a pair of expensive designer specs. "Designer"/fashionable frames are a vanity item. As for it being a money sink don't be ridiculous. People opt for the more expensive frames because they want them.

Remove vat from the lenses, and leave vat on the frames.

even cheap frames are like 75 quid and are usually crap greatly limiting vision, heavy uncomfortable etc, and the lenses are useless without the frames.

what your saying is make the chair vat exempt but make them pay VAT for the wheels

Caporegime
even cheap frames are like 75 quid and are usually crap greatly limiting vision, heavy uncomfortable etc, and the lenses are useless without the frames.

what your saying is make the chair vat exempt but make them pay VAT for the wheels

No I'm not, at all. Don't be so facetious.

The heaviness of a pair of spectacles doesn't come from the frame, it comes from the lenses, and these days lenses are so light it's a moot point. Fancy frames are a luxury and should be taxed as such.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom