Windows 11 is garbage

Man of Honour
I've never seen it flash white before, what windows are you opening that flash white? Be curious to see if I get the same.

There is some kind of issues with compositioning windows in 11 if they've been developed using plain common controls and/or common controls but designed to adopt the Windows theme (albeit that is a non-standard approach but kind of necessary with the mess Win32 Shell is), I'm not really sure what is going on with it though. Especially but not exclusive to dark theme they will intermittently flash up white for a brief sub-second when first opened, or if created but immediately hidden.

Last edited:
Soldato
The idea bahind secure boot is great, but you can only boot Windows 11 & Ubuntu wuth it I have Manjaro. I think Rufus gets rid of all the hardware reqs. My Dad made a .iso & I installed it. No BS also. Oh & EU is making MS change Win11.
Ah, that was it. Rufus, I used that. Worked a treat

Man of Honour
Lots of annoyances on the Legion Go with 11 though not sure how much is MS or Lenovo - auto-rotation lock keeps re-engaging, MS Store regularly updates despite having auto-updates disabled in its settings unless I use a 3rd party tool to force disable updates, US language keeps being reinstalled which results in language toolbar appearing and so on. Update related stuff impacting battery life even with battery saver on.

Absolute clown show.

Soldato
And then 12 will be a testbed for 13, and 13 for 14, etc, etc.

Since MS got rid of their Q&A staff they've basically been using customers to Q&A stuff, it's why unless you like daily-driving beta software I'd personally recommend staying away from the newest version of Windows.

Associate
Didn't read all replies but I held off Windows 11 for long time. Been watching updates in a VM version and finally decided to upgrade my Win 10 box (MS for nagging about it for months).
It is different but, to MS credit, the upgrade went quite smoothly!. I had to uninstall and reinstall Steel series drives and Video drivers but otherwise everything works.

Just in time for Win 12 :rolleyes:

Soldato
Didn't read all replies but I held off Windows 11 for long time. Been watching updates in a VM version and finally decided to upgrade my Win 10 box (MS for nagging about it for months).
It is different but, to MS credit, the upgrade went quite smoothly!. I had to uninstall and reinstall Steel series drives and Video drivers but otherwise everything works.

Just in time for Win 12 :rolleyes:
I waited just over a year before switching to Windows 11 to make sure most of the bugs etc where resolved.

Still not a fan of the UI\Right Click Menus\task bar etc but 3rd party software fixed all of that lol

Soldato
It took me awhile to find everything ie few weeks, there is a steeper learning curve then most Windows OS upgrade, however I'm sort of use to it now, first few days I was angry and annoyed since I was not able to find things as quick as 10, as usual they like to move things. I still prefer 10 but can live with 11.

Last edited:
Associate
THINGS THAT GOT WORSE
  • Bloated looking all around. Too much padding and space on everything.
  • Menus layered on top of other menus, hiding the actual useful items. There is a tweak to enable the full context menu, but why is that needed?
  • Windows Explorer:
    • Is too bloated looking.
    • Too rounded.
    • When you launch it, it takes a few seconds to render.
    • The toolbar and other elements blend in too much.
    • No separator lines for groups in the view. Why?? Minimalism is good, but when minimalism invades convenience and user experience, it's not good.
    • Cannot pin shortcut icons to the top anymore.
    • Windows 10 Explorer is much better.
      • And even Windows 10 made things a bit worse, because in Windows 7 you could manually drag and sort items in the list. Can't in Windows 10.
  • Cartoonish icons.
  • Wi-Fi, Volume, Battery icons as one button in the tray that cannot be hidden. Again, why? On Windows 10 I just have volume visible and quickly available, the rest are not required.
    • Two clicks to change playback device now.
  • Busier, Android like Start menu. Windows 10 was better, cleaner.
IMPROVEMENTS
  • Cropper is improved. Finally, we can move the cropper tool edges individually instead of two at a time.
  • Notepad is improved. Tab support. Auto-saves.
Windows 11 is such a poor OS. Reminds me of a Linux distro.

I really dislike "simplifying" of things in the name of "usability". It usually means taking features away or sweeping settings and features under the carpet of multiple, confusing submenus. It has the opposite effect of simplifying.

Modern UI does not mean it should be wasteful, bloated, hard to discern because of very similar colours. It's also a desktop OS, do not follow mobile operating systems. Rounded look does not mean it's "modern", it's not nice. Windows 10's square windows and menus is better.

Windows 10 is so much better looking and designed OS. It had its problems of being a half-assed blend of the modern and the old and Microsoft never fully moved things over, so you have things like modern UI mouse config and when you don't find what you want, there is the old, more feature rich mouse config. However, compared to Windows 11, Windows 10 is amazing! I will try to stick to it for as long as possible.

Man of Honour
If you want a Windows OS being out of the box perfect then you're in for a bad time. Those days were never there, you always had to tweak Windows right back from the early days, people just forgot about that as it's been so long, or most are too young to have even used Windows before 7/Vista most likely.

I would never go back to Windows 10 now, and I've upgraded from every version of Windows since 95 Plus!

Windows 11 for me is the only version of Windows I've had to do the least tweaking to get to how I want. StartAllBack is the only third party tool I've needed to install to rectify all of my gripes with the out of the box experience. It is now as good as if not better than Windows 10 ever was. Performance is better, the UI is sleeker in animation and use, Snipping tool is substantially better in that it also now can screen record, sound recorder is much better, device management from the modern interface is much better, the storage stack is a generation ahead on 11 vs 10, the GPU rendering backend is more advanced and fully supports all of the DX12 featureset as well as modern hybrid CPU architecture we now have, desktop management is even better with window position memory and better window splitting features that feel natural now rather than the jank on 10,

So all round 11 is just better as a modern OS used for /everything/ on a daily basis.

Soldato
Expect death threats for that statement!

Hah.. I think its a fine operating system, probably because once set up properly, I don't actually spend much time in the operating sytem, I use it more as just a launcher for apps/browser/games... but I do agree...some of the design choices can be fustrating when you do need to do stuff in the OS.
Win 10 for example I can navigate with my eyes closed.

Permabanned
Hah.. I think its a fine operating system, probably because once set up properly, I don't actually spend much time in the operating sytem, I use it more as just a launcher for apps/browser/games... but I do agree...some of the design choices can be fustrating when you do need to do stuff in the OS.
Win 10 for example I can navigate with my eyes closed.
Unix over Windows, the fact that you can have your pick and choose something as simple or complex featureset wise, versus 'that's how it is', gives you so much more freedom, along with a thriving community who'll help you no matter what the distro, and it's free.
For closed source, MacOS wins, get all the open source apps you use on linux, and most stuff you use in Windows like Adobe/Office are available, along with many alternatives, so you really can have your cake and eat it.

I will only ever use Windows for gaming on games Proton doesn't support. Windows it's just rubbish in comparison to MacOS and Linux. The telemetry/bloat/crap gui/pricing, is as hilarious as Win11 looks and is to use.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unix over Windows, the fact that you can have your pick and choose something as simple or complex featureset wise, versus 'that's how it is', gives you so much more freedom, along with a thriving community who'll help you no matter what the distro, and it's free.
For closed source, MacOS wins, get all the open source apps you use on linux, and most stuff you use in Windows like Adobe/Office are available, along with many alternatives, so you really can have your cake and eat it.

I will only ever use Windows for gaming on games Proton doesn't support. Windows it's just rubbish in comparison to MacOS and Linux. The telemetry/bloat/crap gui/pricing, is as hilarious as Win11 looks and is to use.

To be fair I would run some sort of flavor of linux if it wern't for PC games! dunno how linux is these days for game/gpu support... and I dont want to run multiple PC/OS's when one box can do it all without too much grief.

Last edited:
Permabanned
To be fair I would run some sort of flavor of linux if it wern't for PC games! dunno how linux is these days for game/gpu support... and I dont want to run multiple PC/OS's when one box can do it all without too much grief.
You still can, you just dual boot. Try out linux Mint if you want a normal looking OS with a taskbar etc, of which being linux you can skin/theme/tweak to look however you want, if you like the horrid newer GUI style Ubuntu/Fedora etc etc etc adopts, then go for that - I personally hate it though :cry:
And just do a simple Win10 dual boot. That's what I do when running linux as a main OS. Anything you find, that Proton can't run via steam in linux, simply reboot into Win10. Easy.

I have 2 macbook pro's, and for my MITX desk rig, I dual boot MacOS Sonoma and Win10 (not allowed to elaborate due to the rules) and just restart to play CS2 on steam, the rig in my sig, is purely used for gaming, and runs Win10 and is only turned on for gaming via the TV with a PS4 controller - I will never upgrade Windows on it, until a game requires it/a new DirectX comes out that games require.
Win11 has literally offered nothing for gaming unlike older Windows versions which brought next gen DirectX versions that games took advantage of.

Soldato
You still can, you just dual boot. Try out linux Mint if you want a normal looking OS with a taskbar etc, of which being linux you can skin/theme/tweak to look however you want, if you like the horrid newer GUI style Ubuntu/Fedora etc etc etc adopts, then go for that - I personally hate it though :cry:
And just do a simple Win10 dual boot. That's what I do when running linux as a main OS. Anything you find, that Proton can't run via steam in linux, simply reboot into Win10. Easy.

I have 2 macbook pro's, and for my MITX desk rig, I dual boot MacOS Sonoma and Win10 (not allowed to elaborate due to the rules) and just restart to play CS2 on steam, the rig in my sig, is purely used for gaming, and runs Win10 and is only turned on for gaming via the TV with a PS4 controller - I will never upgrade Windows on it, until a game requires it/a new DirectX comes out that games require.
Win11 has literally offered nothing for gaming unlike older Windows versions which brought next gen DirectX versions that games took advantage of.

Yeah I've used mint and ubuntu a fair while back and I could dual boot, but the reality is i'd just boot into windows all the time as the path of least resistence.

Although that might well change when win11 becomes EOL.

Permabanned
Yeah I've used mint and ubuntu a fair while back and I could dual boot, but the reality is i'd just boot into windows all the time as the path of least resistence.

Although that might well change when win11 becomes EOL.
Yeah Mint is definitely my favoured choice these days if I run linux.
I tried Win11 for a laugh once, awful, and offers zero benefit over 10, reminds me of how gash win8 was :cry:

Associate
I held off Windows 11 for quite a while then decided to take the plunge. At first I thought it was pretty nice but then kept finding annoyances, especially the File Explorer and the general lack of flexibility/customisation. I got round a lot of it with third-party tweaks but then, after an upgrade, Microsoft decided that my key (genuine retail, Pro) was invalid.

So, I reinstalled Win 10 (the same key was accepted, go figure). After tweaking Win 10 how I liked it I realised how much I disliked Windows and Microsoft in general. I ran EndeavourOS for a while and then switched to Manjaro (with KDE) which is now my daily driver. I don't miss anything from Windows for my work or personal tasks and gaming has been easy and smooth using Proton and Bottles. I haven't had to tweak any more than I would have in Windows and I can't remember the last time I booted into Win 10. KDE is so customisable and looks great.

I appreciate that not everyone's experience will be the same and it does take some getting used to but it's so worth sticking with. Gaming on Linux has really improved over the last couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom