Windows 11 is garbage

Man of Honour
Doesn't surprise me - the Windows Shell is a mess - if using raw Win 32 common controls there is no proper way to retrieve the user set accent colour for instance, button text colour can't be simply set to the same colour as other controls - you have to go through a mess of using special cased owner drawn buttons or use a library like MFC/.net which brings issues of its own or UWP which is another story again...

Replying to my own post but found you can use SetWindowTheme(hwnd,L"",L""); to disable theming on a control and it will render a control in old style (usually Windows XP) with the ability to change its colour properties, etc. through the standard common control functions... (replace L"" with whatever character type you are using).

What a ******* mess.

EDIT: And for accent colour you can do:

Code:
    DwmGetColorizationColor(&accent, &opaque);

outColour = ((accent & 0x00FF0000) >> 16) | ((accent & 0x0000FF00)) | ((accent & 0x000000FF) << 16); // Convert to COLORREF

But then you get into a whole mess when it comes to supporting different OS versions and approaches to DWM.

Last edited:
Soldato
You all need to give up on legacy Startbar. Pin what you use frequently, search and click what you need on a less frequent basis.

I rarely open the Startbar. Apps I use daily are pinned to the taskbar or autostart.

The ony real annoyances I have with Windows 11 is the extra click in the right click context menu and the mish mash of new and old settings. Windows 11 Network and Legacy Networks and Adapters for example (The latter being the more useful one)
There is a fix for that, my dad gave it to me. I will see if I can find it.

It is a reg edit
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

copy above text run as admin in command prompt

Last edited:
Soldato
Every time Microsoft change the start menu it gets rubbish and people complain. They found a setup which works and shouldn't mess with it.

Same thing happened with windows 8.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah tried Start11, returned to StartAllBack!

Using that, does it cause any issues if used when the OS goes through a major feature type update.? In other words Windows will still boot and work even if that utility needs to be updated to fully support the new build ?

Thanks.

Soldato
Thanks Mark. Seems good to try out. The price is cheap as chips. It is quite feature rich, might even help with the system tray issue that I previously described. At least they are all shunted closer together now.

Soldato
ExplorerPatcher and Openshell make 11 tolerable for me :p
Ya, the Win11 menu sucks. Plus, I wish they would make dark mode global, high contrast forces all apps to go dark. Why can't reg, dark mode? I would go high conytast, but it makes my eyes bleed in a game I play.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The dark mode in Windows 11 is crap, basically if I remember correctly its just layered on top of the light theme and thats why when you open some windows that it flashes white first

The UI beneath the skin is an absolute mess in 11, it is actually painted on top of something more akin to Windows 95, then the dark theme is painted on top of that :s though programming for it in Windows is a mess as well whatever version.

Soldato
I think it's safe to say Win11 has been a failure and MS know it with them releasing 12 so quickly.

There are no improvements over windows 10. Only downgrades within the interface.

Stats show very little adoption which has reduced this year and most of those will be from OE installs. So people are buying PCs with it on and going back to 10.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it was a toss up for me to install W10 or W11. I had a spare Pro license for W11 and decided to use that, after removing the TPM requirements from the ISO. The install was for an old Dell server that I have just bought.
It works fine, I can only imagine that if the requirements to install W11 were not as strict as they are then the uptake might well be greater. However, there could be security (?) implications by reducing its requirements.

Soldato
Recently upgraded to Windows 11, I was still on 10 and trying to skip to 12 but.....

There is a stupid bug that MS have never fixed probably from windows 95 with dual screen setups. If you switch on your monitor and TV at same time or one of the other the desktop reverts to just the 1st screen that goes on first ie sometimes TV or monitor it just gets confused even when set primary/secondary screens but Windows 11 its fixed it after 1 million years :cry: Now the screen reverts back to the smaller monitor not the bigger TV or 2nd monitor.

I won't go back to Windows 10 simply for that reason, got use to the new UI and with Startallback makes it a winner for me.

Soldato
Well it was a toss up for me to install W10 or W11. I had a spare Pro license for W11 and decided to use that, after removing the TPM requirements from the ISO. The install was for an old Dell server that I have just bought.
It works fine, I can only imagine that if the requirements to install W11 were not as strict as they are then the uptake might well be greater. However, there could be security (?) implications by reducing its requirements.
The idea bahind secure boot is great, but you can only boot Windows 11 & Ubuntu wuth it I have Manjaro. I think Rufus gets rid of all the hardware reqs. My Dad made a .iso & I installed it. No BS also. Oh & EU is making MS change Win11.

Back
Top Bottom