Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Frozen

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Pancake (batter)

Votes: 13 13.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Good afternoon,

After chatting with a guy at the golf course over the weekend who had to get to lidl before it closed to buy some frozen Yorkshire puddings am I wrong to think philistine?

Frozen yorkies are just rubbish and its not exactly hard to make them at home.

So what are you fresh or frozen?

Poll?

Associate
If you make your yorkie batter the day before, let it sit out for a few hours then refrigerate over night you should get a much lighter yorke that will rise a little more. It might look a little grim when you take it out, as it seperates a bit, but just whisk it back together.

It ferments a little, like making a sourdough bread.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you make your yorkie batter the day before, let it sit out for a few hours then refrigerate over night you should get a much lighter yorke that will rise a little more. It might look a little grim when you take it out, as it seperates a bit, but just whisk it back together.

It ferments a little, like making a sourdough bread.

This is the exact method I used. It's a James Martin reciepe. Perfect puds every time.

Soldato
Always freshly made, never frozen.
Equal quantities by volume of
Egg
Flour
Milk
Very hot oven with lard in the tin and job is a good'un

Basically this but I season with a bit of salt and white pepper.

I use vegetable oil but only because I don't keep lard otherwise I'd use that.

Trick is to put the trays in the oven with the oil/fat in first so they are hot before you put in your batter.

Soldato
OP
Basically this but I season with a bit of salt and white pepper.

I use vegetable oil but only because I don't keep lard otherwise I'd use that.

Trick is to put the trays in the oven with the oil/fat in first so they are hot before you put in your batter.

Yep the trays should sizzle when putting in the pans.

Soldato
I had to start making ours fresh as my wife has a milk allergy. I use oat milk but on the odd occasion made myself some using normal milk, they taste identical.

They are so much better than shop bought, either fresh or frozen. The key is definitely to get the oil / fat sizzling before putting the batter in.

Don
I prefer a fresh / home cooked Yorkshire pud but it's hard to beat the convenience of a frozen pudding too. If we buy them, we chuck them in the fridge to defrost until we use them and it takes a literal 60 seconds in the air fryer (without preheat) and they are ready to serve.

It avoids the house stinking of cooked oil, it avoids an additional baking pan that needs washing and avoids mess in the oven.

Fresh > frozen > no puds

Besides, a bag of frozen puds from Sainsburys is 74p. It would cost me more in flour and milk than that!

Soldato
OP
I prefer a fresh / home cooked Yorkshire pud but it's hard to beat the convenience of a frozen pudding too. If we buy them, we chuck them in the fridge to defrost until we use them and it takes a literal 60 seconds in the air fryer (without preheat) and they are ready to serve.

It avoids the house stinking of cooked oil, it avoids an additional baking pan that needs washing and avoids mess in the oven.

Fresh > frozen > no puds

Besides, a bag of frozen puds from Sainsburys is 74p. It would cost me more in flour and milk than that!

I was always told not to wash the baking pans?

Soldato
If Im cooking for just me and fancy a yorkie I will buy a pack of fresh ones from the supermarket over frozen ones all the time as they are generally decent when reheated, if however I am cooking for others as well then I will make from scratch.

Soldato
The frozen ones are fine but they seem dryer to me.

Fresh > frozen > no puds

Would it. I reckon it's cheaper than that in ingredients.

Last recipe I did was
42g flour at £0.06
1 egg at £0.25
50ml milk at £0.03

That makes one large pudding that feeds 3.
So pretty cheap. Obviously the egg does all the damage.

Last edited:
Don
The frozen ones are fine but they seem dryer to me.

Would it. I reckon it's cheaper than that in ingredients.

Last recipe I did was
42g flour at £0.06
1 egg at £0.25
50ml milk at £0.03

That makes one large pudding that feeds 3.
So pretty cheap. Obviously the egg does all the damage.
Your family clearly eats less than mine do :D

Our homemade puds use at least 3x that amount of batter

Back
Top Bottom